Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges Protests Kildare Nov 1st

Options
  • 23-10-2014 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would let you know details on some local water charge protests in case you're interested. Details are

Celbridge: 12pm at Castletown Gates.
    Maynooth: 1pm at The Square.
    Naas: 1:30pm at Naas Park (Beside Vista).
    Athy: 1:45pm at The Arch, Kilkenny Road.
    Leixlip: 2pm at Firestation.
    Newbridge: 2pm at Ballymany

Not sure if I'm allowed post links but there is a Facebook page if anyone wants to PM me. Not affiliated to the page in any way. Just against the charges.

B x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭sniperman

i think its all a waste of time protesting,the water charges are here to stay.so get used to it,i dont like it,but its coming,and no amount of protesting will change that,at the end of the day,we all have to pay:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

sniperman wrote: »
    i think its all a waste of time protesting,the water charges are here to stay.so get used to it,i dont like it,but its coming,and no amount of protesting will change that,at the end of the day,we all have to pay:mad:

We're already paying through our taxes! Thats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭sniperman

Blogger50 wrote: »
    yes i fully agree,but it wont make any differance,the charges are here to stay regardless of what we do:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We are running a deficit - we're not paying for everything that's allegedly covered by taxation in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

yes i fully agree,but it wont make any differance,the charges are here to stay regardless of what we do:(

I wouldn't be so sure. When over a million people have yet to register it's going to be hard to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Water charges have been beaten before and can be beaten again! It's great to see the huge number of Irish people standing together against the austerity obsessed government who don't give sh1te about the people. The defeatest attitude of some Irish people who sit back and just let Enda & Co introduce double taxes without any kind of objection astonishes me:eek:

livEwirE wrote: »
    Water charges have been beaten before and can be beaten again! It's great to see the huge number of Irish people standing together against the austerity obsessed government who don't give sh1te about the people. The defeatest attitude of some Irish people who sit back and just let Enda & Co introduce double taxes without any kind of objection astonishes me:eek:

This. I for one would rather do something to fight against this instead of just accepting it and rolling over. We're already paying a tax to live in our own home FFS. I am not paying again for water that is not drinkable and destroying my plumbing and appliances.

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to get into a debate, just to inform people that this was happening so they could attend if they so choose.

Cheers. B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Its not the charge so much, although I think its too high and with recent implementation of property tax, it should have just been a much lower flat rate, its the implementation I have a problem with.
    Im in Dublin and Id consider going to some of these near places just to support.
    The Govt put out feelers for ideas and if they are so far off the mark and get rejected, they say that it was a mistake by a junior something or other or these were just options and then withdraw the feelers.
    It will be here to stay with that outlook for sure. Personally, I would have thought they should have implemented it in a cost to the state of free, ie a 100 euro for a year, dont set up a company to park your mates, start putting some meters on the major supplylines and estimate how much usage there should be to determine leaks.
    IW is another example of political cowardice, it frees any politician form making a decision, something they are paid to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

we're not - that is just how some groups suck people in.

Up to last month, the cost of providing water to homes was paid from from taxation paid and or borrowings on international money markets.

As a country we collect less tax than what is spent on the everyday running of the country (I'm excluding any and all costs of bank bailout which will not cost any where near what is claimed)

So the choice is
    Pay MORE tax or get lower social welfare / housing supplement / children's allowance and effectively continue to pay from taxation.

or make those who use more water pay for what they use and those who use less, pay a lot less.

By any stretch, a fair user pay system is far far far better than everyone paying an equal amount.

The easy way would have been to add 1% to USC and cut social welfare rates by a euro - but then investment in water infrastructure would have continued at its current pace and the number of leaks and boil notices would increase.

Of course, there are many that want everything for nothing, but at the end of the day, it gets paid for one way or the other - do you really want to be paying extra for the household that washes the car every week and waters the garden everyday and leaves taps running when they go away?

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

We're already paying a tax to live in our own home FFS.I am not paying again for water that is not drinkable and destroying my plumbing and appliances.

B

You don't pay a tax to live in your home. You pay a contribution to the running costs of all the thinsg the council supplies. Your street lights, your pavements, your green areas and parks, traffic wardens, social housing etc. etc. The other option was to continue the ridiculous huge stamp duty rates - totally unfair!

As for saying water is not drinkable - well that the best reason for a separate water utility. They can fix those issues - Permanently! (though many people just say water is undrinkable for the sake of saying it - with exception of areas with boil water notices, water in Ireland is of an exceptional quality as borne out by international tests! Try London water - its recycled water than comes out of the taps!)

Without a separate utility who has its own income, we'd be lucky to get any investment n the systems.

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »
    You don't pay a tax to live in your home. You pay a contribution to the running costs of all the thinsg the council supplies. Your street lights, your pavements, your green areas and parks, traffic wardens, social housing etc. etc. The other option was to continue the ridiculous huge stamp duty rates - totally unfair!

I paid those huge stamp duty rates and see the things you mention above, we have none of these benefits in the housing estate i live in, none. The council have not taken our estate in charge and the builder is AWOL. There are 90 houses here and at present there are four streetlights working, the residents pay to have the grass cut and maintain the area ourselves, there is no traffic warden in our village. There isnt even a path outside our estate so dont give me that old chestnut. I am not benefiting from this tax yet I have to pay it.

As for saying water is not drinkable - well that the best reason for a separate water utility. They can fix those issues - Permanently! (though many people just say water is undrinkable for the sake of saying it - with exception of areas with boil water notices, water in Ireland is of an exceptional quality as borne out by international tests! Try London water - its recycled water than comes out of the taps!)

Trust me when I say our water is not drinkable. I am currently on my eight kettle in eight years in this house. I have replaced the dishwasher and washing machine, not to mention that I have developed psoriasis which I am now on prescribed medication for! So please dont tell me I am saying it for the sake of saying it!!

Without a separate utility who has its own income, we'd be lucky to get any investment n the systems.

Anyway, as I said, not looking to get into a debate. My intention was to pass on information locally which I have done. People can make their own choices.

Cheers. B

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not the place for debating the rights/wrongs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement