Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you like your online self?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

However I agree with this:

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I guess it depends where online. In groups like this I think I'm pretty much like my real world self. I've done Admin on a few FB groups for college and quite a few people didn't like me because I was hard on bullies and kicked them out if they got too bad. When I actually met members of the group I got on really well with them.

I'm intolerant of idiots/morons both online and offline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

People are mostly nasty and not very nice, it's just that they hide it in real life. You have to really live with someone to find out what they're really like. The mask will eventually slip there. Online they have no need to hide their true character, some probably use it as a release from their daily fakeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Yep except offline I ask even more inane questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Laois6556 wrote: »
    People are mostly nasty and not very nice, it's just that they hide it in real life. You have to really live with someone to find out what they're really like. The mask will eventually slip there. Online they have no need to hide their true character, some probably use it as a release from their daily fakeness.

What if someone is fake nice all the time, at home and at work? Is he or she fake nice or nice.

90% of people i meet in the real world seem kind, warm, and non-argumentative

whereas 50% of the online world seems hostile and looking for a fight

I wonder if that is self selecting to a degree however. After all the kind of contentious issues that come up on a forum like this - are not the kind of issues that generally come up in meat-space conversations.

Perhaps if you bring up these contentious issues in meat-space with the boards users you meet - you might find they get just as emotionally invested in their arguments as they do here.

Perhaps more so - because what you have in meat-space that you do not have on line is cutting people off - shouting them down - and a shorter time between argument and response to cool oneself off and reply rationally rather than angrily.

So I think the impression you have that off line folk lead a double life with their online persona is likely more connected with the fact that what they are discussing off line is simply less emotive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

What if someone is fake nice all the time, at home and at work? Is he or she fake nice or nice.

It's impossible to fake it all the time. So if you know someone who's nice at home and at work then they are actually nice. The fakes will be exposed eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

What's not to like?

Just as neurotic in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I like my online self no more nor more less than my real self.
    I haven't time for agendas, trolling or any of that shyte and don't try to be something I'm not as I'm not very good at multi-tasking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Love The B-52s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I am a fine fellow indeed. And this morning, we give you - jimgoose, The Essence:

jimgoose silly-walks like a giant across the Internet, his idiocy and wisdom
    a shining beacon for all. When He speaks, birds pause their song.

The marketing department carry crucifixes in fear of Him.

jimgoose procrastinates, ruminates, extrapolates, invigorates,
    polyunsaturates and discombobulates. Then He burps.

All in a days work.

jimgoose co-wrote 'Rock Around The Clock' with Linus Torvalds.

He is the Thing that won't die in the Nightmare that won't end.

Every time a meanie-pants says Bad Stuff about jimgoose , somewhere
    a little baby cries. jimgoose is VERY strict about enforcing this.

jimgoose's real name is Splork the Unconscious, Supreme Commander.
    He is an advanced alien entity who will one day enslave Humanity
    and force them to make new 'Fawlty Towers' episodes for all Time.

jimgoose is a direct blood-line descendant of Attila the Hun's accountant.

jimgoose single-handedly brought about the fall of Communism by
    opening a subsidiary of Elmer J. Delbert Memorial Bank, Buttfuck,
    Idaho, in the Kremlin.

In Guatemala, "jimgoose" means "God of Death" and is a popular brand
    of children's thermonuclear device.

Attractive ladies fantasize about waking up on Sunday mornings and
    lying lazily in bed listening to jimgoose whistling 'The Bridge Over the River
    Kwai' in the kitchen while reconfiguring their AIX boxes and making
    Crispy Bacon Sandwiches.

With REAL, MELTY, butter.

jimgoose coined the term 'nerd'. It is an acronym, but He won't say of what.

jimgoose has demonstrated mathematically that Shakespeare's works
    were in fact written by another gentleman of the same name.

jimgoose has Faith, yea, and walks upon the waters.

He is Love.

(If there's anything more important than my ego around the place,
    I want it caught and shot NOW!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't even like my offline self.

I do yeah I'm great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Lalealea wrote: »
    Does he not feel empathy for people online?

How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Peist2007 wrote: »
    How does that work?

I'm told it's like ejaculating into a hole in a watermelon, only with, like, emotions an' shiz-nit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Yeah some people are very mean on-line ….. !
    it appears to me that many boardsies are nothing like real-world people.

90% of people i meet in the real world seem kind, warm, and non-argumentative

whereas 50% of the online world seems hostile and looking for a fight

so i think a significant amount of onliners must lead a double life of hostility.

i'm not trying to demonize anyone. i've noticed myself that i am far more reactionary online than i would be in public.

so, AH, are you different online? and would you befriend your online self?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Real life isn't a discussion forum so of course people can be different here to how they are in real life, without actually meaning to be.

But then there are the trolls and borderline cyber-bullies who of course wouldn't dream of behaving that way in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Online I tend to be a bit of a pisstaker, full of smart remarks.

IRL...I'm exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My online self is the ultimate bad @ss that doesn't take sh!t from anybody.

Real life I'm 40, live in a basement and regularly give foot rubs to my mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

AH beers not to far away guess we find out soon enough whos full of ****e and who's not! Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Thankfully I'm not one of the 50%, now get the feck out of my way.

I'm definitely way narkier here than in real life, but that's because real life isn't a discusssion forum, and it can get extremely negative in here - awful amount of hate towards different groups of people. Awful lot of trolls.
    There was always some negativity, but lately... sheesh! Definitely a correlation with the weather - it was much happier in the summer, and the exceptionally good earlier part of autumn.

I'm definitely way narkier here than in real life, but that's because real life isn't a discusssion forum, and it can get extremely negative in here - awful amount of hate towards different groups of people. Awful lot of trolls.
    There was always some negativity, but lately... sheesh! Definitely a correlation with the weather - it was much happier in the summer, and the exceptionally good earlier part of autumn.

I know real life ain't a forum but in a way it is where all still talking about the same things in most cases offline then on.

I don't see the point in being someone different on here then who u really are your gaining nothing from it.

I know real life ain't a forum but in a way it is where all still talking about the same things in most cases offline then on.

I don't see the point in being someone different on here then who u really are your gaining nothing from it.
    I'm not talking about putting on an act - I don't understand why anyone would bother their hole doing that either.
    E.g. serial trolls - a bit of light-hearted stirring is funny, but to make a point of not really being yourself and just out to piss people off/cause trouble on an almost daily basis and for months, even years; why would you bother!

The personality difference between here and real life that I'm talking about is the one that's shaped by here versus the one that's shaped by real life. Here, it's only non stop discussions, lots of them very heated, so that will bring out a person's confrontational side, which they might barely show in real life because they have way less cause to. That would be the case with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

The one difference for me with online is that, because of the anonymity, I can tell things and express thoughts that I would not share with many people face to face. Males do not generally discuss certain subjects face to face but I have the experience here either in the threads or indeed through private messaging of coming upon fellow travellers

I'm not talking about putting on an act - I don't understand why anyone would bother their hole doing that either.
    E.g. serial trolls - a bit of light-hearted stirring is funny, but to make a point of not really being yourself and just out to piss people off/cause trouble on an almost daily basis and for months, even years; why would you bother!

The personality difference between here and real life that I'm talking about is the one that's shaped by here versus the one that's shaped by real life. Here, it's only non stop discussions, lots of them very heated, so that will bring out a person's confrontational side, which they might barely show in real life because they have way less cause to. That would be the case with myself.

That tends to happen to me a fair bit in person as well though. I'm a fairly out spoken kinda person if I feel anyway strongly about something if even if it's a very basic piece of conversation.

I go from talking about something that piss me off on here right into doing same with my girlfriend ha. That's why I said there's no difference at all in how I act on here then how I act in person if anything I'm worse/better at times In person because u can see me face to face and I get my point across much clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I'm much less prone to ranting on the internet. Think it's just the time it takes to have a read back over something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Online is full of shítheads. Give an opinion - someone argues with you. Ask for an opinion - someone judges you. Try to give advice - someone argues with you. It can make you really weary sometimes...

My online self is true to my real life self. I am an inherent crank and I don't like people. The only difference I suppose would be that I might come across as sharper online as there is more time to fashion a response - but I suppose that would be true of everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm the same online and offline. I feel the same about things I comment on when I'm offline. One thing I hate is people pretending to be someone they are not basically a liar.

• Advertisement

"I don't like people" makes no sense and strikes me as something that's just said to look "edgy".
    If a person genuinely didn't like people, they'd not like their family and wouldn't have a partner or friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

"I don't like people" makes no sense and strikes me as something that's just said to look "edgy".
    If a person genuinely didn't like people, they'd not like their family and wouldn't have a partner or friends.

Oh it goes without saying I like my family and my partner, and I have some close friends. After that, I dont like people. One of the main benefits of that is if an anoymous poster decides to seek offence in this, I don't give a shít :)

To be honest I find it hard to likr a lot of people myself. Mostly people are annoying and I could find a lot more I dislike about people in society now a days then what I like.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Oh it goes without saying I like my family and my partner, and I have some close friends. After that, I dont like people. One of the main benefits of that is if an anoymous poster decides to seek offence in this, I don't give a shít :)
    It's not about offence or caring whether you give a sh-t. It's just responding to your comment - on a discussion forum. And all the passive-aggressiveness in the world won't change that.
    It's arrogant too to think that you're better than other people, when you're no different to all those people you "hate" (but you don't really).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 DiegoCosta

It's not about offence or caring whether you give a sh-t. It's just responding to your comment - on a discussion forum. And all the passive-aggressiveness in the world won't change that.
    It's arrogant too to think that you're better than other people, when you're no different to all those people you "hate" (but you don't really).

I don't think he said he's better than other people, just that he doesn't like them.

So you dont like people but you come on the country's biggest talk forum on a regular basis. To talk to your family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Isn't the dailymail comments section not the biggest talk forum in the country?

I hope your real-life self is not as defensive and reactionary as your online self :D

• Advertisement

DiegoCosta wrote: »
    I don't think he said he's better than other people, just that he doesn't like them.

Thank you, I didn't. But some people are so desperate to be offended and quarrel with someone they will see things that aren't there.
    So you dont like people but you come on the country's biggest talk forum on a regular basis. To talk to your family?

Yes, yes and no.

2 out of 3 for your cunning powers of deduction, you old clever soul you
    Might I also extend my thanks for proving my first point wrt Boards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It makes perfect sense to say that you don't like people. I'd say I'm in the same situation. I obviously like my wife (most of the time), my family (about half of the time) and my few close buddies (again, most of the time). I've been saying for years though that the world is full of idiots, my guess would be about 99.99% of the world's population are absolute morons.

I normally assume new people I meet are idiots and I'm normally right. I'm always happy to be proven wrong though.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense to say that you don't like people. I'd say I'm in the same situation. I obviously like my wife (most of the time), my family (about half of the time) and my few close buddies (again, most of the time). I've been saying for years though that the world is full of idiots, my guess would be about 99.99% of the world's population are absolute morons.

I normally assume new people I meet are idiots and I'm normally right. I'm always happy to be proven wrong though.

Me too.

Thank you, I didn't. But some people are so desperate to be offended and quarrel with someone they will see things that aren't there.

Yes, yes and no.

2 out of 3 for your cunning powers of deduction, you old clever soul you
    Might I also extend my thanks for proving my first point wrt Boards....

Yes 7,000 odd posts talking to relative strangers of your own volition. You have totally proven that you dont like people :pac:

Yes 7,000 odd posts talking to relative strangers of your own volition. You have totally proven that you dont like people :pac:

You think just because I talk to people online that necessarily means I like people offline? Has the meaning of this thread perhaps evaded you? FYI it's about the difference (if any) between your online and offline persona. I dont know how that escaped you.

But of course YOU'RE better than them. 99.99 - huh? Where do people pull this figure from? Oh wait, I know.

The lack of self/irony awareness from people who make statements like the above is hilarious.

The world has a lot of idiots, yes, but you know it's obviously stupid to overstate this number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

We all have a piece of god within us.

And poo. We all have a piece of poo in us too.

Is that a haiku?

I hope your real-life self is not as defensive and reactionary as your online self :D
    The passive-aggressive use of smileys (you're not really that amused) is so bad-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I've been saying for years though that the world is full of idiots, my guess would be about 99.99% of the world's population are absolute morons.

Then you've been saying an absolutely moronic thing for years.

Oh the irony!

The passive-aggressive use of smileys (you're not really that amused) is so bad-ass.

Says the one who finds other posters lack of self-awareness "hilarious".

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

this is exactly the kind of bitchiness i was referring to...

• Advertisement
Advertisement