Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pups and laser pointers

• 23-10-2014 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone else's pup go nuts for the laser pointer, like a cat? Our Nyssa, almost 5 months old, goes crazy for chasing it, to the point where our cats are almost deprived of their red dot!

I can take it upstairs for the cats, as I do have a stair-gate, but it's not really worth it, as the dog goes so mental downstairs if I do, that they can hardly concentrate! They do join in a little when the dog is chasing it, but don't get anything like their usual play value from it that way.

I'm not too worried about them, as just having a new pup gives them plenty of play and exercise anyway, but kinda wondering, will Nyssa always be wanting to monopolise the red dot, or is that likely to calm down when she gets older? Our old dog, Lola, never showed any interest in it, but then she was several years old before we got a cat that was interested in laser pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Personally Id be really careful of those laser pens and dogs, Ive read a good few stories of people using them with dogs and they've made the dogs take an unhealthy interest in shadows, consequently the dog starts noticing shadows and chasing or staring at all shadows. Collies in particular seem to be more prone to developing a problem with shadow obsession, but any dog can. I wouldnt use a laser pointer to play with any dog at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Nala loves the laser! She'd spend all day chasing it but once it's out of sight she calms down. I would give it to someone who was minding her cos it's one thing she'll always recall to. I don't use it every day but it does really tire her out. I've tried it with our other dogs but they pay no notice. My friends dog likes it too but not as much as nala!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm with maggiepip on this one ferretone :o
    A lot of dogs will be fine, but collies and springers are just a bit too prone to shadow-chasing for me to be comfortable with encouraging them to do it:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Thanks guys! She shows no interest in shadows so far, so it seems we can nip that in the bud before it has had a chance to do any damage. The laser will just have to stay put away, apart from the odd time when I am out with the dog and himself is home so. Ah well, the cats have other toys, so it won't kill them to do without that one, even if it is their favourite :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Once I read that playing with laser dots to cats can be highly stressful and lead them to a sense of frustration because of the fact thaty cam't really ever grab or touch this "prey". It's a virtual object and in their minds it's something abstract and incomprehensible, outside the patterns that Nature has set for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Once I read that playing with laser dots to cats can be highly stressful and lead them to a sense of frustration because of the fact thaty cam't really ever grab or touch this "prey". It's a virtual object and in their minds it's something abstract and incomprehensible, outside the patterns that Nature has set for them.

I've read that too, but apparently you can help by swapping the laser for something else towards the end of the game, like a feather on a string, and then let them catch and 'kill' that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Hmm, dunno about "incomprehensible" - Kitterton at least has demonstrated time and again that she knows exactly how it's done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Shadow used to play with lasers.

Shadow was also hooked on Shadows, light flickers, weird reflections on the walls or ceilings etc. Luckily it never developed into an obsession, but I definitely wouldn't do it with Opie now that I've made the connection.

Kind of laughing to myself at Shadow, Collie, Laser, Shadows here. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ferretone wrote: »
    Hmm, dunno about "incomprehensible" - Kitterton at least has demonstrated time and again that she knows exactly how it's done :)

I understood by "incomprehensible" that Irish Stones meant that cats and dogs can't understand why they never get to catch the prey (red dot), despite doing everything right. They catch it but get no sensation or feedback of catching, and that can cause problems.
    Not that the kittie doesn't know how to do it, rather that it is ultimately rather frustrating because,well, it's incomprehensible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sorry if this is dragging the thread OT (I didn't think it warrants a thread of it's own) but where can you get those laser pointers? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Sorry if this is dragging the thread OT (I didn't think it warrants a thread of it's own) but where can you get those laser pointers? Thanks in advance.

Ebay is best place to get them

Advertisement