Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable hard drives

Options
  • 23-10-2014 7:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to get one for a while to back up files on my laptop. It happened to me before that my laptop crashed and I lost everything. After fixing it twice, and it gave up a third time, I just got a new laptop. That was over three years ago in college. I would be screwed if my laptop ever gave up on me.

So for piece of mind, I would like to have a back up.

Are recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Use dropbox,or google drive, online services ,or buy a western digital drive.
    Google reliable hard drive.
    i have a 350gig drive usb, wd.Western digital.
    Handy as it just uses usb power, no external power unit needed.
    Most online services have a free offerfirst 10 gig free ,at least.

I know you can get 1tb drives but they will need a power supply .
    A hardrive can fail at any time, you could lose all your notes data ,tommorow.
    I have drives 7 years plus,old,but i just use em for backup ,maybe ,once a month.
    The rules is important data should be on 3 different devices ,and not in the same place,
    in case of fire ,or flood.
    ALL hard drives stop working at some point .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

If it doesn't have to be portable get this one.

Portable HDD are very cheap these days online. However as the previous poster mentioned, if your data is valuable, then sign up for and use one of the online services like Onedrive, Google Drive, Dropbox etc.
    Buy a portable HDD as a 2nd backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

riclad wrote: »
    I know you can get 1tb drives but they will need a power supply

No they don't.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8

Their ya go OP, that or the plugged monster earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thanks for all the info. I've got one ordered, finally, three years later. I went with a WD portable hard drive from amazon as its also USB 2.0 compatible. Its seems to be a USB backwards laptop. Not looking forward to swaping things over.

I hope I haven't jinked myself by ordering it three and a half years late.

Half to back up stuff online too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Id strongly recommend crashplan or backblaze cloud backup if you've got semi decent Internet (good or no cap)

It's about €5 a month and works in the background and backs up everything to the cloud

Personally I use crashplan as it backs up my NAS which backblaze wasn't so good at but backblaze is still great

Best part is, no hardware required!
    Hope that helps!

http://www.code42.com/crashplan
    https://www.backblaze.com/m/?mts=20141022010533

Thanks for all the info. I've got one ordered, finally, three years later. I went with a WD portable hard drive from amazon as its also USB 2.0 compatible. Its seems to be a USB backwards laptop. Not looking forward to swaping things over.

I hope I haven't jinked myself by ordering it three and a half years late.

Half to back up stuff online too.
    USB 3 I linked to would have worked with your USB 2 ports Laptop.

And then when you upgraded laptop you'd have the speed benefit.

Swapping stuff is straight forward, connect it, open it (Double click it in my computer) and Drag and drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Be careful with External Hard Drives . . . I had one sitting on top of my PC and it fell to the floor once I hit the computer with my foot . . .

Sellotape the Drive to the top of the computer or else leave on the floor . . .

I've learned the hard way!

Best of Luck!

Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Be careful with External Hard Drives . . . I had one sitting on top of my PC and it fell to the floor once I hit the computer with my foot . . .

Sellotape the Drive to the top of the computer or else leave on the floor . . .

I've learned the hard way!

Best of Luck!

Gordon

Well they are not exactly designed to be dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Definitely not . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

You could, or should make a separate drive, one for windows and one for your extra data. So if windows fails you should be able to reinstall windows and your data would still be on the separate drive, on the same hard drive.

Advertisement