Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark 2014 - Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Mess of an event, when you got space was good fun. ringsend park single file??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

safetyboy wrote: »
    Mess of an event, when you got space was good fun. ringsend park single file??
    The Run in the Dark race is a charity event and I am surprised people take them seriously, if you were going for a time its really not the race to do. A park run would be a safer bet!

If you are looking for some decent 5/10ks look at the bhaa website in Cork or to the local clubs that organise races. I've only done the BHAA races in Dublin and I really enjoyed them. Over the winter months they do cross country and then move on to the roads and their popularity has been growing year on year, the races organised are a great way to keep you fit over the winter months.

You can set up a team related to the area you work in e.g IT, Engineering, Civil Serivce, Gardaí, Hospitals, Pharmaceuticals, Teachers etc etc so if you are interested in doing some races with your work colleagues over the winter months this could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

groovyg wrote: »
    The Run in the Dark race is a charity event and I am surprised people take them seriously, if you were going for a time its really not the race to do. A park run would be a safer bet!

If you are looking for some decent 5/10ks look at the bhaa website in Cork or to the local clubs that organise races. I've only done the BHAA races in Dublin and I really enjoyed them. Over the winter months they do cross country and then move on to the roads and their popularity has been growing year on year, the races organised are a great way to keep you fit over the winter months.

You can set up a team related to the area you work in e.g IT, Engineering, Civil Serivce, Gardaí, Hospitals, Pharmaceuticals, Teachers etc etc so if you are interested in doing some races with your work colleagues over the winter months this could be an option.

Just because it's a charity event doesn't mean you can excuse really poor organisation. If they are going to accept entries of circa 2,000 people and have "run" In the title then they need to make sure people can run it without high risk of injury and ask walkers to give right of way. I've run plenty of other charity races and all were really enjoyable and had none of the issues RITD has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I knew what to expect as had done it previous years and based on that taught it was one of the better organized ones. If it was your first time then I can see why some are possibly disappointed. But remember, they had 2.5K people on a dark 2.5K loop. Organizers can't be blamed for the walkers and start etc as the MC did ask for those running fast times to be towards the front etc, its up to the crowd to move but it was clear none did. Also on the website and emails it asked participants to enter via certain streets depending on speed so that they be some what in a suitable position at the start, again I didn't see this happening. Also I passed many marshals who were calling out for walkers to move to one side to allow the runners through.

Anyways, I enjoyed it and bagged a top 10 spot in the 10K. As above its not a race/run you can go full out due to the turns, obstacles, and slippy surface. Only lap I went fast was the first one as hit the crowds at south mall on the second lap and then onwards so just pulled back and enjoyed the fun. No point risking an fall/injury.

All the red flashing lights bobbing up and down along the river was a great sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Looking at the results they should make some amendments as you can see some people didn't do all the laps eg alot of 5Kers only did one lap instead of 2! Least this year they had a lap mat so they can easily resolve that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I did it in Dublin and I was very far back at the start so I didn't see what was going on at the front but my husband said that there were a lot of walkers at the front. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't going for any time in particular. I just wanted to finish it. It was a bit annoying at the start trying to dodge people (particularly the five abreast walkers) but after that it was fine. I can see why it would be annoying for anyone with a particular goal in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

groovyg wrote: »

Agree totally with this, if you're going to something like the Run in the Dark expecting anything different then it's just going to be an exercise in frustration! Reminds me of the person who posted they were going to try for a PB in the Darkness into Light run this year/last year (putting aside the facts that it wasn't actually 5k & wasn't timed either :) ).

Personally I had a nice jog (well after the initial few mins of walking) around with a friend of mine who was doing her 2nd ever 10k & really enjoyed the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Just because it's a charity event doesn't mean you can excuse really poor organisation. If they are going to accept entries of circa 2,000 people and have "run" In the title then they need to make sure people can run it without high risk of injury and ask walkers to give right of way. I've run plenty of other charity races and all were really enjoyable and had none of the issues RITD has

I'm not excusing the poor organisation but look at the course in Cork, for the 5/10k it was very tight and twisty, add 2000+ runners to the mix and you are going to have bottlenecks. Like for the 10k runners/walkers had to do 4 laps which would have meant you were lapping/running around people. As for walkers at the front what can you do about them? Introduce waves for different times? The majority of races I've done where they are in place, you'll always find walkers/joggers who slot themselves in at the front.
    Its a fun run/walk for charity and should not be taken seriously, if people are looking for a time in a particular distance there are plenty of decent races on in Munster.

Advertisement