Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening outfit query

Options
  • 23-10-2014 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

im getting my little fella christened in two weeks, i was going to get an outfit from next shirt tie and waistcoat, but someone said he has to be in all white
    is this true ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No, he can wear whatever you like. There is usually a white shawl / scarf / blanket or garment of some sort that they put around the baby during the ceremony, after the candle lighting part I think? But that's it.

Traditionally, some families have old family christening robes that all the children use. They are usually white (or yellow with the age), but it's not a requirement or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The only requirement is the white shawl/blanket for part of the ceremony, you can put him in whatever you want otherwise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

We used a white babygro for the mass with him wrapped in the white blanket (so cute) then changed him into a smarter outfit (pants and shirt) for the celebration afterwards. I think the christening robes for boys look hilarious - but I know they have special meaning for some families

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i picked up a white satin suit, just need a shawl or blanket now as no doubt the church will be freezing
    i like the idea of changing for the meal afterwards
    my mother inlaw is on about getting a taxi over, she is expecting a session, not too keen on that, christening and a meal after and home for a rest i think

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I put him in the christening dress and dressed him in normal clothes after:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement