Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Halloween/horror films?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Scary films just aren't scary, ok a few jumps here n there but nothing that would keep you awake at night....majority of them are just funny.

Some of the cheesy slasher ones maybe, gore can be amusing.

It's the slow paced films involving hauntings that get to me, the subtle spook tactics good directors use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

If you have a decent sound bar watch the others. Its made for good quality sound

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

The Rec Trilogy is excellent stuff. If you wanna go down the cheesy route I'd recommend either Hellraiser or Final Destination series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Rosemary's Baby. Still a bit shaken months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

fearrua wrote: »
    The Rec Trilogy is excellent stuff. If you wanna go down the cheesy route I'd recommend either Hellraiser or Final Destination series.

The first two hellraiser movies are classics the rest ya there cheesy! Ha

The Rec series is incredibly cheesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Del Toro's The Devils Backbone is worth a look if you like atmospheric chills.
    I hear good things about You're Next but haven't seen it yet.
    If you are unfamiliar with the works of Dario Argento may I recommend Suspiria or Tenebrae.
    Pleasant dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Woman in Black was very creepy.

I'd also recommend Rosemarys Baby and Don't Look Now

If Alien counts as a horror film I'd recommend that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

fearrua wrote: »

Agree with Rec, one of the first movies in years to actually make me scream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

guitarzero wrote: »
    Rosemary's Baby. Still a bit shaken months later.

Watched it last night myself. He idea of it is terrifying but the jumps ain't there. My gf who is a horror fan found it boring. 😯😯😯

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I know what you did last summer
    Scream
    The stepfather
    Urban legend
    Jeepers creepers (but ending is crap)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I love a good horror movie. Not mad about slasher ones as I find the gore generally outweighs the jumps and story line. I have watched practically all the movies mentioned. But one that hasn't been mentioned and it's the only one that I have been able to watch only once was Wolf Creek.
    I think because I knew it was a true story made it even worse. Truly terrifying movie that stayed with me for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

weekaizer wrote: »
    I know what you did last summer
    Scream
    The stepfather
    Urban legend
    Jeepers creepers (but ending is crap)

Don't trust this guy, OP, they are all terrible.

Also, Wolf Creek wasn't based on a real story. Think about it, in the movie, the only one to survive was the guy, who was stuck in a hole the entire time, then got out and ran away. How did he see what happened to the chicks from the hole? It's very loosely based on a true story, inasmuch as Annabelle is based on a true story.

Watch Drainiac, OP, it's about haunted water pipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Woman in Black was very creepy.

The original or the remake? There is something about the original that really shines for me. Everything about that film was perfect to give a very eerie feel when watching it. The remake on the otherhand is just another pop scare movie like Sinister or Paranormal etc. But it feels very hollow to me.

Also just saw the trailer for the sequel earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

recyclops wrote: »
    Watched it last night myself. He idea of it is terrifying but the jumps ain't there. My gf who is a horror fan found it boring. 😯😯😯

The jumps arent there true but it is such a twisted, macabre horror, especially those dream sequences, f*cking hell!!! Boring...maybe one of the Saw films would be up her street :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I Spit On Your Grave. If you want a 'video nasty' that was banned in Britain and Ireland until the early 90s this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pinky lady

Am a huge horror fan.... Seen pretty much all of them

But the one that springs to mind and made me scream like a little girl...

The Descent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Most of what passes as horror is cheap and formulaic. A good psychological thriller is where it's at. Look no further than Roman Polanski's 'Repulsion' for a slow creeper. Failing that check out Michael Haneke's 'Funny Games'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

While we're breaking out the Heneke, why not go full tilt? The Seventh Continent. It's not horror? It's bleaker than anything else put to film, shut up.

Or The Girl Next Door. Great movie, and almost every single thing in the movie happened, for real, unlike Wolf Creek. Want to know horror? Get to know the worst of real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

While we're breaking out the Heneke, why not go full tilt? The Seventh Continent. It's not horror? It's bleaker than anything else put to film, shut up.

Or The Girl Next Door. Great movie, and almost every single thing in the movie happened, for real, unlike Wolf Creek. Want to know horror? Get to know the worst of real life.

+1 On The Girl Next Door, its horrifying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aidric wrote: »
    Most of what passes as horror is cheap and formulaic. A good psychological thriller is where it's at. Look no further than Roman Polanski's 'Repulsion' for a slow creeper. Failing that check out Michael Haneke's 'Funny Games'.

While we're on about polanski, "the ninth gate" is nice little piece of malevolence

Kill List is the last horror film that real made an impression on me

Just watched the Borderlands this weekend, worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Watched an Irish horror the other day called Dark Touch. Wasn't bad at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Just saw 'The Babadook'

Not bad.... I think,

Confused as f*ck though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

"In Fear" that was a good Irish one. I wasn't expecting it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Silence of the lambs .

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Noroi: The Curse.

It's on Youtube. Watch it. Evil, evil film. Supernatural demon film.

And Marytrs, one of the coldest, most horrible films I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Noroi: The Curse.

It's on Youtube. Watch it. Evil, evil film. Supernatural demon film.

And Marytrs, one of the coldest, most horrible films I've ever seen.

I've been too scared go watch Noroi :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The original Omen

I'm currently watching the Scream Movies just finished Scream 2

Just all 4 movies so much & looking forward to the tv series

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Links234 wrote: »
    I've been too scared go watch Noroi :o

I loved it so much that I ordered it specifically on DVD from Hong Kong.

Had a couple of the lads around one night, who would be horror fans. Most of them were cowering behind the sofa at one stage! It's a great film, once you adjust to the weird style of filmmaking it adopts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I loved it so much that I ordered it specifically on DVD from Hong Kong.

Had a couple of the lads around one night, who would be horror fans. Most of them were cowering behind the sofa at one stage! It's a great film, once you adjust to the weird style of filmmaking it adopts.

I actually get scared really easily, and I know for a fact that it would make me crap myself to death :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

+1 to the people recommending The Woman In Black.
    I'm normally quite skeptical of certain types of horror movies- ones that seemingly show all the scariest bits in the trailer, so to speak.
    This was my opinion of TWIB but I decided to wait 'til I watched it in full before making a judgement on it.
    OH DEAR GOD IT IS TERRIFYING D:
    I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but it is truly the stuff of nightmare fuel. I haven't watched any Hammer horror movies before but I'm told the style is quite reminiscent of the old films.
    Daniel Radcliffe is surprisingly good in it and the scares are genuinely unsettling.
    I couldn't sleep right for about a week after seeing it- I kept seeing the so-called "lady" in the corner of my bedroom when I turned out the lights! Seriously, if you like having the utter bejesus scared out of you, watch this movie! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Noroi is terrifying, literally just watched it.

I had to go downstairs to reset the router, I prayed on the walk back, I almost ran. Is just unsettling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

If you go see one film in the cinema this halloween, make it the babadook.

It is excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre [the original] is brilliant.
    As is surprisingly Wrong Turn.I liked Shrooms as well.
    I like atmospheric horror films really,ones that you know something is gonna happen,you just dont know when.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Links234 wrote: »
    I actually get scared really easily, and I know for a fact that it would make me crap myself to death :pac:

so it's not quite the wholesome family movie? :eek:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Watched Rosemary's Baby over the weekend (It's on US Netflix, if you're that way inclined).

Hadn't really seen it since my teenage years but really appreciated it more now.

The film is chilling but all the horror is implied, no real gory scenes in it.

A masterful and very clever film and it still has me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Saw The Babadook yesterday. If you hated The Conjuring and any of the other run of the mil horror schlock of recent years then you'll be best advised to give this a miss. There's nothing new here despite what many critics are saying. Watch the original Amityville Horror if you want to see a decent haunted house flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

Nosferatu, if you like old silent films, scary 100 years ago, more of a novelty now but well worth the watch for cinema history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So after hearing yous all raving bout Noroi decided give it a watch with me girlfriend.

Just finished it there few minutes ago not a bad film taught it dragged on a bit and was fairly creepy but personally wouldn't class it as scary for me anyway.

Some would obviously think so because it's creepy alright but I dunno what I have to watch to be proper scared or freaked out these days ha. I sat there waiting for it to happen but nope!

Haven't felt that since was a child and believe me I've seen all kinds. The search goes on......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

The Conjuring. The top of the wardrobe scene is truly terrifying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement