Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hour Record Attempt upcoming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That said after hearing some of the stupid sh1t Graham Obree had to deal with, if someone higher in UCI had said it or someone less popular had won the record, then it might hold up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

So he's right? Or he isn't?

It's just as commercially available as any other near one-off prototype gear in the pro peloton - i.e. barely at all.

Good luck buying SRAM wireless, Adam Hansen's shoes, top secret FSA groupset components, bespoke Paris-Roubaix tyres, last year's McLaren frameset, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

OT, but I don't agree with the UCI stance on commercially available products. The pro ranks should be the hot bed on new technology. Like in most other sports, the pro ranks get to use the products 1st. Firstly be testing and then the actual product roll out.

Its mere amatuers need something to be wowed out. There should be a certain mystic about the top level. Of course, these products will always become commercially available if they prove successful in the pro world.

I mean what is the point of the weight limit? A pro team is not going to send their riders out on products they 'know' will fail. If it isn't safe the riders and teams won't use it as they won't finish and it meaningless in terms of the arms race as the top teams simply use their finances to buy the best riders etc, no point having me on a 5.5kg against Contador on the UCI 6.8kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Historically some races like the Tour de France had quite strict rules about new technology on bikes. The TdF was one of the last races to allow gear shifters. Previously they had allowed the riders flip over their wheels and use a sprocket on the other side, but that was it. Something to do with preserving the purity of the race! So not that weird to have some odd restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Leroy42 wrote: »
    OT, but I don't agree with the UCI stance on commercially available products. The pro ranks should be the hot bed on new technology. Like in most other sports, the pro ranks get to use the products 1st. Firstly be testing and then the actual product roll out.

Its mere amatuers need something to be wowed out. There should be a certain mystic about the top level. Of course, these products will always become commercially available if they prove successful in the pro world.

I mean what is the point of the weight limit? A pro team is not going to send their riders out on products they 'know' will fail. If it isn't safe the riders and teams won't use it as they won't finish and it meaningless in terms of the arms race as the top teams simply use their finances to buy the best riders etc, no point having me on a 5.5kg against Contador on the UCI 6.8kg

The weight limit is one rule that I have no problem with at all. If it is abolished then all that happens is the pro riders all end up on bikes weighing 5kg (or whatever is possible) as opposed to 6.8kg. So nobody really benefits. In the amateur ranks we'll have those who can afford 5kg bikes competing against those who can only afford 8kg bikes. So the better off will benefit - is that really what we want? I know the rule exists ostensibly on safety grounds but I think it serves a more useful purpose in ensuring a more level playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

re: the altitude thing; presumably what you gain in lower air resistance you lose in power due to less oxygen hitting yer lungs. Is there an optimum altitude for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

bren_mc wrote: »
    The weight limit is one rule that I have no problem with at all. If it is abolished then all that happens is the pro riders all end up on bikes weighing 5kg (or whatever is possible) as opposed to 6.8kg. So nobody really benefits. In the amateur ranks we'll have those who can afford 5kg bikes competing against those who can only afford 8kg bikes. So the better off will benefit - is that really what we want? I know the rule exists ostensibly on safety grounds but I think it serves a more useful purpose in ensuring a more level playing field.

But how is that different now. In TT's, for extreme example, those that can afford all the latest Hi-tech speedy aero thingybobs, will have a distinct advantage over the rest of us.

In races, those with the lightest carbon frames, carbon soled shoes, latest aero helmets have an advantage.

There is always an advantage. An what about those that have the time for extra training while some of us have jobs and families. Where do you draw the line?

I can see that loads of bikes comfortably fit close to the 6.8kg limit, I don't have either the funds, or if truth be told, the rationale to spend such large sums on such small gains. Now if I was actually any good it mght make sense.

Safety should be the only concern. If they can make the products that can be used safely, and I can think of no better real life testing ground can the pro peloton, then it should be allowed.

Money will always play a significant part, not the most vital, but a part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I do have a bit of an issue with Wiggo's record. Not to take anything away from it at all now but I do wonder where we draw the line on marginal gains and where it becomes as much environment assisted as it is man powered. For instance when Jen's went for it I watched him talk all about his bike saying it had to be a commercial bike so in affect his standard road going TT bike with only slight modifications. Gearing removed etc... But essentially Jen's went off on his road bike.

Dowsett has a one off frame build of a Canyon Speedmax which included a reworked rear triangle to suit the bike more to track cornering. Wiggo had a very reworked Pinarello with a completely one off front end from forks to bars. A €6000 one off chain and again a redesigned rear end. This bike or Dowsett's are not commercial products and never will be for the foreseeable anyway. So where do we draw the line? I'm sure if Jen's team interpreted the rules the same way Wiggo's team did his Trek would have been a lot different than it was. It seems to me we are gradually creeping back towards a Boardman style bike one mod at a time.

Also lets talk about the velodrome. I never even considered air pressure until this week. Of course there is sea level v's altitude. All having massive implications. But at what point do you draw the line on the venue as well? From my understanding Wiggo's team had the heat turned up to 30 in order to thin the air and also all air con units were apparently set to blow in an anti clockwise direction. Where do we stop? Lets get a bespoke air conditioning system that blows a 60kph wind in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Also lets talk about the velodrome. I never even considered air pressure until this week. Of course there is sea level v's altitude. All having massive implications. But at what point do you draw the line on the venue as well? From my understanding Wiggo's team had the heat turned up to 30 in order to thin the air and also all air con units were apparently set to blow in an anti clockwise direction. Where do we stop? Lets get a bespoke air conditioning system that blows a 60kph wind in the right direction?

The heating is turned up to this temperature for UCI track events too, nothing unusual there.

Went to watch a WC mid-winter in Glasgow and was warned to wear summer clothes - was about 30C, all the team staff were in shorts and t-shirts. The velodrome in Glasgow is always warm, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

I only watched the end of Dowsetts attempt and then watched Wiggins'. And it kept me wondering - is the Hour Record some kind of Champions League of cycling ? Where it's only the riders with the richest sponsors that can have a real go at this ? By having a special bikes, special training, special everything, rather than - same gear for everyone and see whose best. I understand that UCI needs to keep it at certain PR/commercial level otherwise it will turn into 100-episode long soap if they get so many people giving it a go but on the other hand its about the guys that ride the bikes and not what bikes and support they have. Still great thing to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I do have a bit of an issue with Wiggo's record. Not to take anything away from it at all now but I do wonder where we draw the line on marginal gains and where it becomes as much environment assisted as it is man powered. For instance when Jen's went for it I watched him talk all about his bike saying it had to be a commercial bike so in affect his standard road going TT bike with only slight modifications. Gearing removed etc... But essentially Jen's went off on his road bike.

Dowsett has a one off frame build of a Canyon Speedmax which included a reworked rear triangle to suit the bike more to track cornering. Wiggo had a very reworked Pinarello with a completely one off front end from forks to bars. A €6000 one off chain and again a redesigned rear end. This bike or Dowsett's are not commercial products and never will be for the foreseeable anyway. So where do we draw the line? I'm sure if Jen's team interpreted the rules the same way Wiggo's team did his Trek would have been a lot different than it was. It seems to me we are gradually creeping back towards a Boardman style bike one mod at a time.

Trek don't have any track frames so Jens had no choice really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Raam wrote: »
    Trek don't have any track frames so Jens had no choice really.

No but my point is Dowsett's bike was a modified for track one off of the Speed Max. Wiggin's bike was a one off modified for track Pinarello. Jens used a stripped down road bike. I wonder if his team was to interpret the rules as Dowsett or Wiggins did would Trek have done him a modified track version. The last 3 attempts have been on special one off builds which does go against the UCI's production model ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

omri wrote: »
    I only watched the end of Dowsetts attempt and then watched Wiggins'. And it kept me wondering - is the Hour Record some kind of Champions League of cycling ? Where it's only the riders with the richest sponsors that can have a real go at this ? By having a special bikes, special training, special everything, rather than - same gear for everyone and see whose best. I understand that UCI needs to keep it at certain PR/commercial level otherwise it will turn into 100-episode long soap if they get so many people giving it a go but on the other hand its about the guys that ride the bikes and not what bikes and support they have. Still great thing to watch.

No - but you do have to be in the blood passport program for testing, so that normally means a ProTour Level Rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Just for clarity, it was an ordinary Dura Ace chain that was used. Muc-off developed a new lubricant with new techniques, it was this development that cost £6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Leroy42 wrote: »

This is part of the theory behind the current rules. They give manufacturers a short period to get their stuff out (so the pros get to "test" the new Garmins, PMs etc)

Now I've had a look for some of the team GB stuff. You have to write to even get a price. Then the stuff will not even be "in stock". The Aussies adopt a similar stance.

Earlier this year I investigated getting a Cervelo T4 to discover only 6 would be made available this year in the size I was looking for (Russia and indeed Ireland seem to have easy access). Couldn't get a sniff of a Felt I investigated (US and Ireland amongst those who can)

Once those teams have moved on the bikes will probably become readily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Beasty
    I would speculate that the reason the felt was available in Ireland (even in limited quantities) is that the European distribution rights of Felt (and other brands) are held by an Irish person. Wonder does he have Cervelo distribution too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ROK ON wrote: »
    Beasty
    I would speculate that the reason the felt was available in Ireland (even in limited quantities) is that the European distribution rights of Felt (and other brands) are held by an Irish person. Wonder does he have Cervelo distribution too.
    The Felt is available to CI and gets exposure for the brand via the likes of Martyn Irvine. The figure I quoted for the Cervelo was global. Could have put my name down but it does not even go into production until August and delivery may be Sept/Oct which would have been too late for me. Went to Ormskirk and picked up a Dolan instead.
    Both Cervelo and Felt have cheaper models that are readily available over here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Coverage of Van Houweling's attempt starts at 11pm tonight - streamed here

• Advertisement

"Live stream is starting soon"! I am assuming the attempt was due to start at 11pm our time, and fear "soon" may not arrive before the witching hour!

How soon is now?!

Please be patient. I'm sure it will be soon....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Postponed due to high temperatures.

"Stay tuned"

And so the aptly named zyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................... turns up

46.274km is the new record - something to aim for gadetra ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Bridie O Donnell (good Irish name there) is currently halfway through her record attempt in Adelaide, looks like she's on target so far but the hard bit is still to come.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bridie-odonnell-uci-hour-record-attempt-watch-live-on-cyclingnews/

G'wan Bridie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

She's done, 46.882km

Advertisement