Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hour Record Attempt upcoming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If he fades less than Dekker, in the last 15 minutes or so, he just could do it

Not looking good, after 33 minutes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Would much rather Rohan Dennis held the record personally. Can see this one going further away for Dekker, his times have been slipping for a long time, it's far hotter there, and his line through the corners is only going to get worse and worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is Hozier a cycling fan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is Hozier a cycling fan?

I don't care, I love it!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is Hozier a cycling fan?

Seems to be having a good sing song up there anyway!

The clock has now disappeared. We're just watching him cycle around at an unknown speed for an indeterminate amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We're just watching him cycle around at an unknown speed for an indeterminate amount of time.
    Probably about an hour.

As the saying goes: "they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Lumen wrote: »
    Probably about an hour.

If you know how long he has been cycling for, I would love to hear it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Riveting viewing

That has to have been the worst coverage of a cycling event ever

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let's hope he does an Obree and tries again tomorrow, with another live transmission.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Randy requires a re-run - maybe we can all watch

They are now doing a recalculation.
    I'm not sure, ANYBODY knows what is going on.

I presume Dekker's mate with the specs would be looking a bit more optimistic if he thought there was the slightest chance that the record was broken. Dr. Hutch says they used the bell instead of a gunshot, so it's 209 laps and a bit, which is definitely not enough.

Xavier Disley's excellent analysis -

B-txB2UW8AESGEM.png

His early times did prove unsustainable, and really erratic. If you didn't see the attempt, his line through the corners really was terrible. Swung all the way over the red line fairly regularly. Could well have made up the distance if he had kept to the black line.

Could well have made up the distance if he had kept to the black line.
    That's where I reckon someone like Wiggins can make some real inroads. There's actually 20cm below the black line that's perfectly legal

Riding on the red line loses well over a kilometre over what can be achieved at the pace they are going on a 250m track (and more on the 200m track some of them have been using). If you venture up to the blue line that could add about 3km over the hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Has Wiggo hinted at a date?

London in June is all I've heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

What's the story with Eurosport?

Says it's Dekker's attempt, but it's actually showing Brandle.

Based on the previous comments, they seem to have a chimp working as event organiser and producer.

C-Shore wrote: »
    What's the story with Eurosport?

Says it's Dekker's attempt, but it's actually showing Brandle.

Based on the previous comments, they seem to have a chimp working as event organiser and producer.

Eurosport only show the feed they get, which in this case was the Mexican broadcaster. It was god-awful with no reliable metrics whatsoever, they didn't have any production team there on site so there wasn't really anything they could do with it. I imagine they made a last-minute decision to show Brandle, considering the crappy quality of the Dekker show.

Eurosport only show the feed they get, which in this case was the Mexican broadcaster. It was god-awful with no reliable metrics whatsoever, they didn't have any production team there on site so there wasn't really anything they could do with it. I imagine they made a last-minute decision to show Brandle, considering the crappy quality of the Dekker show.

Sorry yeah I wasn't giving out about Eurosport, I meant about the event.

You're probably right that they just decided not to show it. I set the 23:40 one to record and see if that shows anything. Gives me something to scoff at over breakfast!

C-Shore wrote: »
    I set the 23:40 one to record and see if that shows anything.
    Can you count the laps and let us know if he made it or not.....

Beasty wrote: »
    Can you count the laps and let us know if he made it or not.....

Unless Dekker actually set it during the British Cycling Elite Circuit series, Eurosport didn't show it at 23:40 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

That feeling you get when you've gone several whole weeks without an hour attempt… well, fear not, there's another one tomorrow afternoon!

Sarah Storey is making the first attempt at the women's record for the past ten years or so, coverage on the UCI YouTube channel. For folks who may not know of her, she's one of the most decorated paralympians (first at swimming, then moved to cycling) and also competes in women's UCI and British Cycling races. And she's a Dame :) Shane Stokes had a great article on her a few weeks back.

Bump mention, as Beasty already gave this story a shout out a few weeks ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Live coverage of Sarah Storey's hour record kicking off in 3 mins:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

In fairness she gave it everything, destroyed herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

QueensGael wrote: »
    That feeling you get when you've gone several whole weeks without an hour attempt… well, fear not, there's another one tomorrow afternoon!

Sarah Storey is making the first attempt at the women's record for the past ten years or so, coverage on the UCI YouTube channel. For folks who may not know of her, she's one of the most decorated paralympians (first at swimming, then moved to cycling) and also competes in women's UCI and British Cycling races. And she's a Dame :) Shane Stokes had a great article on her a few weeks back.

Bump mention, as Beasty already gave this story a shout out a few weeks ago

Awesome effort - shame she didn't make it this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

How far did she go?

Advertisement