Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hour Record Attempt upcoming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

How far did she go?

45.5km

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I probably shouldn't, but I do get a certain satisfaction when I see someone get off the bike in a state like that after an hour attempt. It really showed how much effort she put in, and questions whether she really could have tried any harder. She definitely gave the impression she pushed herself to the limit, and no-one can ask for anything more. I guess it's small consolation, but at least she walks away with the paracycling record

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Beasty wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't, but I do get a certain satisfaction when I see someone get off the bike in a state like that after an hour attempt. It really showed how much effort she put in, and questions whether she really could have tried any harder. She definitely gave the impression she pushed herself to the limit, and no-one can ask for anything more. I guess it's small consolation, but at least she walks away with the paracycling record

Got to admire anyone who can empty the tank like that. Bobridge described his attempt as "the closest I could feel to death without actually dying." Realised half way through he was falling behind pace required, then the demons started and he was praying for punctures so he could stop. Some mental strength required to turn off those "voices".

http:// road.cc/content/news/144601-jack-bobridge-explains-agony-hour-record-attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Unbelievable what she went through. Sadly, there is no second place in the HR attempt, but still she sets the British record :).

After watching this, I can't imagine how someone just after missing the record could got back on the track the very next morning to do it again. And beat the record then...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Gustav Larsson has announced he will be making an attempt this Saturday in Manchester.

34 years old, Olympic and World Time Trial silver medallist, and has won one Giro d'Italia stage in 2010. That said, I have never heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Need to see a photo of his bike ....

Saw that he was giving it a go earlier. Wondering if it's a case of "there's an event on at the track - can we generate a bit more interest by having an hour record attempt - any volunteers?"

Having said that if he's a TT Silver medallist, and particularly if he's got track experience (not even sure on that), who knows. If he's prepared properly (unlike Bobridge, and perhaps a lesser extent Dennis) he could have a decent chance

His team rides Ridley bikes, so he'll presumably be riding the snazzy Ridley Arena. Would be cool if they adapted a Dean frameset for track though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Gustav Larsson has announced he will be making an attempt this Saturday in Manchester.

34 years old, Olympic and World Time Trial silver medallist, and has won one Giro d'Italia stage in 2010. That said, I have never heard of him.

he was at saxo for while then had two years at IAM, decent tt rider, later in life got a horrible calf tatto.

Had 2-3 big years while at saxo, wonder though how much hes dong when he nearly retired for this season before signing for cult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Do you think that if they get to the stage of 24 hour record attempts in a given period that the UCI will call it a day?

(I'll get my coat...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I fear this is becoming a bit of a circus. Lets generate some publicity for a track, a sub event, a sponsor, a rider etc... Jen's was the first in a long time to really announce it, plan it and prepare specifically for it. Now riders just seem to be coming out with a "i'll have a pop"

I'm still waiting on Martin, Wiggo etc.. to announce theirs and have a good few months prep and training for it. Then it will get back to be a proper event.

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone setting a new world record in an event like this could be described as a "circus"

Of course it might be different if we had riders turning up and falling 3 or 4 km short, but everyone so far has made a very serious (and usually successful) attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm surprised at how little respect Larsson is getting here - he was the second best TTer in the world for a quite a while and was a little unlucky that his best years coincided with Cancellara's complete dominance of the discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

To give him some credit, he came 2nd in the Olympic TT in '08 behind Cancellara. And here are his impressive results in the World Championships (time trial):

'13: 9th
    '12: 19th
    '11: 12th
    '10: 10th
    '09: 2nd
    '08: 5th
    '07: 15th
    '06: 25th
    '05: 27th
    '04: 4th
    '03: 16th

If you wanted to calculate an 'average' position for him for the years he took part in the time trial, it works out as 13th place. Not bad for the large number of attempts!

He won the Swedish National TT championships in '13, '12, '11, '10, '07 and '06. But to be fair the competition wouldn't have been great.

His best results (prologues or ITT) on the UCI Tour include stage wins in the Giro ('12) and Paris-Nice ('12). A 2nd place in the Giro ('08). A 4th place in the Tour ('06 and '09), Vuelta ('10), and Tour de Suisse ('10 and '11). A 5th place in the Giro ('12). And the list continues on for a while.....

Even though he doesn't have a track pedigree, he definitely does have the palmarès from the road to attempt the Hour Record. With all that being said, Larsson's best years are behind him, so I'd be surprised if he even set the 3rd best time.

Doesn't look like the Larsson attempt will be televised. Have hardly seen anything written about it since it was announced.

Larsson's about 1'30 behind at 5km, respectable effort for sure.

Finishes with just over 50km, 2.5km below the record.

5% behind on distance is about 15% behind on power, all other things being equal (which they are not - the main other factors tend to be how aero they are and whether they can keep low enough down the track - I'm guessing with his TT record he had the aero bit sorted)

Alex Dowsett will attempt to break the hour record on May 2nd in Manchester.

Bradley Wiggins will try on June 7th in the Olympic velodrome in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Bradley Wiggins will try on June 7th in the Olympic velodrome in London.

The big one arrives..........:cool:

Live TV coverage on Eurosport2 at 1pm on Saturday.

From Cyclingnews:
    Britain's Alex Dowsett is taking on the World Hour Record this Saturday in Manchester, UK and Movistar bike sponsor Canyon has created the Speedmax WHR – a track-specific version of the German brand's flagship TT bike – especially for the attempt.

1430399658969_pq0xkcc6tr4h_700_80_670.jpg

Full bike specs
    Frame and fork: Canyon Speedmax WHR
    Bars: Speedmax Flat Handlebar W/O holes
    Cockpit: Speedmax L Bend Extensions with Lizard Skin 1.8mm tape
    Seatpost: Canyon Speedmax
    Saddle: Fizik Antares
    Wheels: Campagnolo Pista Disc
    Tubulars: Continental Tempo II, 22mm
    Crankset: Campagnolo Pista with Power2Max power meter
    Chain: KMC Track
    Head tube stiffness: 80 NM/°
    Bottom bracket stiffness: 65 N/MM

#PerfectHour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Alex dowsett has just set off in the latest World hour record attempt. Live on British Eurosport 2.

Dowsett has started his attempt, live on ES 2

Just crossed 100 laps, marginally slower than Rohan Dennis (+8 secs to this distance) but his line is impeccable, should finish well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tyres at 170 psi? Did I hear that right?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Tyres at 170 psi? Did I hear that right?

Yeah, I think 120 psi is the absolute minimum a trackie would go for? He won't want the tyre to deform at all so 160-170 is possible.

Somebody with actual track experience can correct me on this :o

CEAHAhKW8AAxHoC.jpg

His pace has risen significantly. The gap between him and Dennis had risen to almost 10 seconds at one point, now back down to around 6 seconds. Going to be very tight

He's flying now, going to smash it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Wow, that 6-7 second gap disappeared in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

He's flying now, going to smash it.
    Amazing how he is building up the pace at this critical stage...

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    Amazing how he is building up the pace at this critical stage...

Perfect negative split, paced himself pretty much spot on. Not a big Dowsett fan myself but this is a super ride.

Advertisement