Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hour Record Attempt upcoming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

He's going to smash this, very controlled for 45 mins, his line was impeccable. He's giving it the beans now. Super stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Great ride, looks like just short of 53km. Deserved new record holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Stunning performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

52.924 km is the new distance to beat according to Twitter.

52.924 km is the new distance to beat according to Twitter.

52.937 is the official distance according to the UCI. Something for Mr Wiggins to target on the 7th of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Just crossed 100 laps, marginally slower than Rohan Dennis (+8 secs to this distance) but his line is impeccable, should finish well.

What do you mean when referring to line? Not familiar with track lingo.

What do you mean when referring to line? Not familiar with track lingo.

His line through the turns is what I meant. Dowsett was really keeping it between the "Cote d'Azur" blue line and the black line, the ideal place to be. Compare that to say Dekker's attempt when he was veering kind of wildly even outside the red line. Dowsett's ride was a lot more efficient, essentially saving a lot of effort that Dekker used for no gain.

His line through the turns is what I meant. Dowsett was really keeping it between the "Cote d'Azur" blue line and the black line, the ideal place to be. Compare that to say Dekker's attempt when he was veering kind of wildly even outside the red line. Dowsett's ride was a lot more efficient, essentially saving a lot of effort that Dekker used for no gain.

Yeah it looked like the bike was on a mono rail, for the most part he was spot on huge control and discipline needed to keep it there. When Jens Voight set his record he was all over the shop, adding meters and wasting energy.

Yeah it looked like the bike was on a mono rail, for the most part he was spot on huge control and discipline needed to keep it there. When Jens Voight set his record he was all over the shop, adding meters and wasting energy.

Yeah Brandle's handling was similar in that regard, and Dennis's wasn't so bad but IIRC this is the first time we have a record holder who held a really excellent line throughout the ride since this spate of attempts started. Bobridge's attempt could have fulfilled that, but his pacing was way off. It's good to see a record holder who has the complete package of technique and fitness so to speak.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah, I think 120 psi is the absolute minimum a trackie would go for? He won't want the tyre to deform at all so 160-170 is possible.

Somebody with actual track experience can correct me on this :o
    Probably 19mm tubs - 170+psi is standard - don't need to worry about comfort on an indoor track (and I'll run that sort of pressure outdoors)

I think they are now getting to the limits of what is humanly possible without either a change in rules or advance in technology. If he was at the black line throughout and kept a reasonably constant speed, I'm sure the likes of Wiggins could go a little further, but someone like Tony Martin would need to spend a lot of time preparing on the track to get his technique right

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Probably 19mm tubs - 170+psi is standard - don't need to worry about comfort on an indoor track (and I'll run that sort of pressure outdoors)

I think they are now getting to the limits of what is humanly possible without either a change in rules or advance in technology. If he was at the black line throughout and kept a reasonably constant speed, I'm sure the likes of Wiggins could go a little further, but someone like Tony Martin would need to spend a lot of time preparing on the track to get his technique right

I think the analyst said they were 22mm tubs, so really at the upper end pressure wise?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Usually around 12 bar for 22mm which is 174 psi.

I think Wiggins could post a 53.2 or 53.3, his track experience will be hugely beneficial plus I reckon he will generate more power than Dowsett did today.In saying that for 45 mins I think Dowsett was coasting and speaking afterwards he wasn't in the least bit stressed physically and didn't rule out another attempt before the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

I reckon wiggins will smash dowsetts time yesterday....but as last posters said....he looked very comfortable at end, and will be back to the table towards end of year....possibly didn't want to show wiggins his full hand....it's all a game of poker!!!

The law of diminishing returns is definitely at play at this level though. All other things being equal an extra km will require around 25 extra watts of power. As I've already said I think the only way to now move the record on significantly is through a change of rules (which brought about the current spate of attempts) or some improvement in the technology

Maybe Wiggins can get to somewhere near 54km, but I don't think the absolute record of Boardman using the Superman position (over 56km) is in any danger at present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Perfect negative split, paced himself pretty much spot on. Not a big Dowsett fan myself but this is a super ride.

whats not to like, hes a great example to people to not let a disabilty or an illness hold you back?

His lap times where so smooth not sure he had more than odd slow down

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Some interesting comments from Wiggo in the English Times today - basically saying he could go out and break the record tomorrow if he wanted but he wants to 'put it out of reach. If I do 55km it'll stand for 20 years'.

So he's fairly confident then..

If he does it will probably kill this thread then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

If he does it will probably kill this thread then.....

There will be still wiggins haters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

He's doing 55km Pace for 20 Minute efforts as it is..

11088239_10152728192882257_1195167901054324324_n.jpg?oh=5688888194848c06b0cad51157182a11&oe=55DABF2D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wiggo's hour record attempt is next Sunday, June 7th.

The attempt will take place from 6.30pm-7.30pm, and Sky Sports 2 will broadcast from 6pm-8pm, with 30 minutes of build-up and 30 minutes of reaction afterwards.

Sky Sports have made a 30-second teaser trailer for it.

So this Sunday June 7th from 6.30 to 7.30 pm at the Lee valley Velopark Bradley Wiggins will set out to break Alex Dowsett's World hour record of 52.937. The general consensus is by how much will he break it, estimates vary from a conservative 54.5 to the optimists expecting the 55 Km mark being broken.
    Bookmakers won't be offering decent odds unless you are lucky/skilled enough to predict his actual finishing distance.
    Reading online earlier they are calculating the warm weather and high pressure expected in the UK this weekend will affect conditions, "air pressure is everything" that is the kind of detail that sports at this level is scrutinised to.
    If he does go beyond 55 it will scupper anyone who have notions themselves. Alex dowsett certainly had more in the tank and no doubt Tony Martin will be watching closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wiggins wants to beat the record, get to 55 and if time push for Boardmans record. I see him getting to close to 56.

In a Sky interview he said the weather is in his favour. He should smash it

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

godtabh wrote: »
    In a Sky interview he said the weather is in his favour. He should smash it

What's the significance of the weather? Does the atmospheric pressure have a bearing on wind resistance or is it a temperature thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What's the significance of the weather? Does the atmospheric pressure have a bearing on wind resistance or is it a temperature thing?

With high pressure the air is thinner, so It's easier to move through, and therefore faster. Low pressure gives denser air so requires more effort to move through, so slower. I think anyway!

Low air pressure lowers the air resistance. Bear in mind it's the equivalent of a 55 km/h head wind (unless he can whip up a vortex:pac:)

See he's targeting 221 laps (55.25km) - think he's capable of 222 myself (and I'll go with 55.555km:p)

Come to think of it, a one-hour Mexican wave (provided it's in the correct direction!) would not go amiss.....

Wouldn't be surprised if that velodrome is designed to ensure the air flows (from the air conditioning units) round in the "right" direction to facilitate fast times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Low air pressure lowers the air resistance.
    gadetra wrote: »
    With high pressure the air is thinner, so It's easier to move through, and therefore faster. Low pressure gives denser air so requires more effort to move through, so slower. I think anyway!
    consensus at last!

Advertisement