Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer accepted, mortgage sorted - what do I do now?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

It's my first time buying a house, so I am a bit clueless about time scales and what I should expect from my solicitor.

It has been a month since my offer was accepted, survey and valuation done, mortgage was approved and solicitor has been instructed. I have had the odd bit of contact with my solicitor since, every update has been that the vendor's solicitor has sent them some, but not all of the paperwork so far.

The vendor had an offer accepted on the flat they wanted to buy, so I was under the impression that they wanted to move as quickly as possible with the sale to me. However it seems to me that pretty much nothing has happened in the last month.

I am not sure what I am meant to be doing with myself at this stage. Is it just a matter of getting on with my life and just waiting to hear from them with some progress eventually?

Should I be in more contact with my solicitor asking about exactly what paperwork they have received? Since they have said that it is the vendor's solicitor that is being slow, I am not sure if there is anything that I can be pushing them to do? Is it usual that after a month the vendor's solicitor wouldn't have sent all the paperwork they should have?

Any advice appreciated to calm my nerves would be great!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You could ring the estate agent that you're purchasing the house off and ask them what's the delay on their client's side or perhaps word it that you'd just like an update, you want them on your side. They can ring the sellers solicitor and give them a nudge, they won't be getting their selling fee until the sale closes so it's in their interests to get things moving along too.

Otherwise there's not all that much you can do but it's worth putting a call in to the estate agent.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You need to sort out life insurance / assurance and house insurance.

Advertisement