Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Trap

• 23-10-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hey all, looking for some advice on where to get a cattrap, not to borrow, but to actually buy one, preferably online. Have a big unneutered tom who looks like he's been dumped and he's causing chaos with my own cats. Need to get him neutered asap. Anyone have any ideas of the best place to pick one up?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you only want to catch a tom then borrowing would be better by definition (check your local vets & rescue organizations). Having said that if you want to buy one these guys are very sound from my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened, I think we're up to cat number six being dumped at our house in about 8 months, and I find getting a trap from a rescue near on impossible they're all so busy. Have been doing independent rescue for a few years now anyway so it's probably about time i got one :P Thanks for the link, will check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I saw lots of cat traps on DONEDEAL when I was looking for a crate for a feral last week (got a super crate from a lady on there really cheaply)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

How much do you want to spend?

You can buy one cheaply for about €50 but they aren't very well made and have sharp corners that the cats can scratch their faces on. They also close with a bang, giving the cat an unmerciful fright. The plate that they have to stand on is tricky to set so that they don't just step over it.

For €100, a trap that's much more durable, has a trip plate that sets off easily, opens at both ends, (much easier for you to set the trap with food and for vet staff to transfer the cat out of the trap) and closes quietly.

I've used both and tbh if you see yourself trapping more cats in the future, I would go with the €100 investment.

Not a big fan of the traps in the link posted above - someone gifted one to us and it's a bit fiddly and would break easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Definitely avoid a cheap trap. The better ones are less likely to fail and if that happens it makes it more difficult to get the cat in again. My gf has about 5 traps which are good quality, I'll ask her tomorrow where she got them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd recommend traps by MDC Exports. Avoid Metalcote, they're not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I bought mine on Amazon.
    This model

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havahart-1089-Collapsible-Nuisance-Animals/dp/B000BX1H76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414132382&sr=8-1&keywords=havahart+1089

I purchased it from the Italian branch of Amazon where it costs a little less.

It works perfectly, I bought it in mid-August and already used it 3 times successfully. The trap I had before was stolen, so I had to find a new and better one.
    It's collapsable, when not used it folds in a compact size, it can be set up in about 2 minutes (measured).
    Its trigger is very sensitive, I even captured a very young feral kitten which weighed not more than 500 g (a bit more than one pound).
    It has no dangerous parts for the trapped animal. I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Gf said she got her ones from mdc exports. They have green coloured ones which are good. £57.84 excl vat and excl delivery. Called eezicatch catrap and go with the solid floor as some don't like walking on the mesh.

Advertisement