Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stena Line - Dogs on Holyhead crossing

• 23-10-2014 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am taking a puppy across from the UK next month and will be on the ferry as a foot passenger.

I have booked a small private lounge cabin and just wondering does anyone know how easy it would be to sneak the puppy in with me?

I am just nervous about leaving it in the kennels as afraid of robbery. Its rife on those ferries unfortunately!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

As far as I know you cannot bring the dog on as a foot passenger.

Have you checked that out?
    Also, no you won't be able to sneak it on to the main area of the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annie_ie

Yes I have contacted them. They have told me he can go in the Kennels free of charge if I have a pet carrier or if I prefer I can stay on the outer deck with him. It will be way too cold for outer deck.

Kennel option it is so and just go down and check on him regularly.

You cannot go down to check on him once the ferry is sailing.

Did they say you could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

annie_ie wrote: »
    Yes I have contacted them. They have told me he can go in the Kennels free of charge if I have a pet carrier or if I prefer I can stay on the outer deck with him. It will be way too cold for outer deck.

Kennel option it is so and just go down and check on him regularly.

You can't go down and check on him, as far as I know, the kennels (glorified cage) are on car deck which you can't get to during journey.

I rang them this morning and she told me if I ask a member of staff at any time they will bring me down to him.

• Advertisement

Is there no way you can get someone to give you a lift over and leave the pup in the car?
    I've travelled on ferries a lot with my dog's but they stay in my car.
    It's literally just a crate they go into with stenaline. Not somewhere I'd ever leave my dog's.
    Irish ferries have a proper kennel area which is more secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I rang them this morning and she told me if I ask a member of staff at any time they will bring me down to him.

Good luck with that. Hopefully it will be that straight forward. But I doubt it.

I doubt it either. I've been over and back to UK millions of times and no one is ever allowed down on car deck during the journey.

We have travelled dozens of times ourselves and always left our dog in the car and its been great but this time it is only me going over and not bringing the car.

Would you recommend going with Irish Ferries then instead? I thought they were very strict now about dog passports?

If you haven't already booked then I'd go with irish ferries.

All dogs coming and going from Ireland into UK must have pet passports.
    Have you not got one for your dog?

I wouldn't recommend travelling with either ferry company with your dog unless you have it or you risk having your dog taken from you and put into quarantine.

• Advertisement

No I dont have a pet passport for him and we travelled over from the UK easily 6 times last year and never ever an issue. customs have stopped us twice due to the car being full with stuff as we were moving from UK to IReland and they always asked about our dog because they loved the look of him and were super nice and wanted to pet him.
    There was never an issue with a passport. ever.

Irish Ferries are they only ones who have enforced it as far as I know.

It might prove a bit difficult getting a passport for a puppy before we bring him to Ireland.

It's not difficult at all. Are you getting the dog from a breeder? If so they can organise it at their vets for you.
    Depending on age they might not need the rabies shot so it's even easier to get it then.

Honestly, I would not risk it for the sake of a small amount of money .
    I had to organise a passport for a pup I sent to UK. It's not hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Its not the ferry companies that are enforcing the passport laws, its the British and Irish governments, it doesn't matter what company you use. You can't legally move a pup within EU states before 15 weeks I think it is, as you can't give the rabies vacc before 12 weeks of age. They are doing spot checks, so you will probably get away with it, but if you get stopped, the pup could be seized and quarantined. I have never been questioned either, and travel back and forth regularly with my dogs, but I have passports for them all. As I drive a white van I tend to get stopped every time, and then when they hear there are huskies in the back, they usually like to have a look. Going to the UK, I believe is Trading Standards that are actually doing the checks, not sure who is doing them on this side.

I have seen a woman with a dog in a carrier inside in a general passenger area, she was travelling as a foot passenger. Whilst you're not meant to do it, I guess it depends who's working and whether they pass any heed to it. That was going from Ireland to UK though, so maybe the Irish workers would be a bit more relaxed? Regarding kennels on board, Irish Ferries Ulysses is the only ferry on the Irish sea that I would put a dog into, nice big crates in a room separated from the car deck. Bring newspaper to put down, would be a good idea to also wipe down with disinfectant wipes, and bring a padlock for the door. I can honestly say I have never heard of a dog being stolen from a ferry though.

The idea of the rabies shot doesnt sit well with me at all. Will ask the breeder as I am quite friendly with her.

The idea of the rabies shot doesnt sit well with me at all. Will ask the breeder as I am quite friendly with her.

Me either, as I think its completely unnecessary over-vaccination. I currently have 5 foster dogs here, taken from Irish pounds that are going to UK rescues, and all had to have their rabies vacc and then wait the 3 weeks before they can leave. First one is going to Scotland tomorrow :)

However, as I go back and forth so much, I couldn't take the chance. The law is changing again in a couple of months, and EU states can agree an exemption between themselves, which I'm sure Eire and the UK will do. It will still stay for commercial movement though, which yours would actually be, as ownership of the pup is changing.

If the pup is in Scotland or Northern England, you could always take a ferry into Northern Ireland, obviously passports etc aren't needed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

muddypaws wrote: »
    Its not the ferry companies that are enforcing the passport laws, its the British and Irish governments, it doesn't matter what company you use. You can't legally move a pup within EU states before 15 weeks I think it is, as you can't give the rabies vacc before 12 weeks of age. They are doing spot checks, so you will probably get away with it, but if you get stopped, the pup could be seized and quarantined. I have never been questioned either, and travel back and forth regularly with my dogs, but I have passports for them all. As I drive a white van I tend to get stopped every time, and then when they hear there are huskies in the back, they usually like to have a look. Going to the UK, I believe is Trading Standards that are actually doing the checks, not sure who is doing them on this side.

I have seen a woman with a dog in a carrier inside in a general passenger area, she was travelling as a foot passenger. Whilst you're not meant to do it, I guess it depends who's working and whether they pass any heed to it. That was going from Ireland to UK though, so maybe the Irish workers would be a bit more relaxed? Regarding kennels on board, Irish Ferries Ulysses is the only ferry on the Irish sea that I would put a dog into, nice big crates in a room separated from the car deck. Bring newspaper to put down, would be a good idea to also wipe down with disinfectant wipes, and bring a padlock for the door. I can honestly say I have never heard of a dog being stolen from a ferry though.

I was on Stena from Cairnryan to Belfast yesterday and a woman had a dog in its own crate in the general passenger area. Not sure how she managed it.

Interesting.

I did read somewhere that you can be lucky, sometimes staff just dont care if the dog is in its own crate or pet carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Hi all,

I am taking a puppy across from the UK next month and will be on the ferry as a foot passenger.

I have booked a small private lounge cabin and just wondering does anyone know how easy it would be to sneak the puppy in with me?

I am just nervous about leaving it in the kennels as afraid of robbery. Its rife on those ferries unfortunately!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    andreac wrote: »
    If you haven't already booked then I'd go with irish ferries.

All dogs coming and going from Ireland into UK must have pet passports.
    Have you not got one for your dog?

I wouldn't recommend travelling with either ferry company with your dog unless you have it or you risk having your dog taken from you and put into quarantine.

I dont know what to say?
    I remember a lot of adverts years ago about rabies, it seems this is more of an inconvenience to you? Id rather precautions were in place and have heard of people moving dogs from further afield, so I think its a reasonable concern that animals that might come from the UK, might have come from somewhere else. Why dont you leave the pup in a kennel or in someones care in the UK till he's a bit older?

Why would I leave the pup in the UK? What do you mean until he is a bit older?

I have read a lot of information about the rabies vaccine and its by far the worst vaccine you can put into your dogs body so unless I had to then I wouldn't like to put that into him. That is my opinion on the matter. Please dont turn this into a thread about vaccine and rabies, I just asked for some advice on the ferry not to get a lecture thanks.

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont know what to say?
    I remember a lot of adverts years ago about rabies, it seems this is more of an inconvenience to you? Id rather precautions were in place and have heard of people moving dogs from further afield, so I think its a reasonable concern that animals that might come from the UK, might have come from somewhere else. Why dont you leave the pup in a kennel or in someones care in the UK till he's a bit older?

I get what you're saying, but there are checks for animals entering the UK from other countries. Both islands of GB and Ireland are rabies free, so why is there a need to vaccinate between two islands that don't have the disease? I don't think its seen as an inconvenience, but rather an unnecessary vaccination, which could have health implications. The other nonsense of course is that animals don't need it to travel from GB into Northern Ireland, and whilst technically and legally, they should also have rabies vacc and a passport to go from NI into Eire, there are absolutely no checks on that whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Why would I leave the pup in the UK? What do you mean until he is a bit older?

I have read a lot of information about the rabies vaccine and its by far the worst vaccine you can put into your dogs body so unless I had to then I wouldn't like to put that into him. That is my opinion on the matter. Please dont turn this into a thread about vaccine and rabies, I just asked for some advice on the ferry not to get a lecture thanks.

Why leave the pup? Until you have time to sort getting it across legitimately, I admit Im unaware that risks you mention exist regarding rabies vaccine, although Ive heard someone voice concerns over other dog vaccines.
    If as you state, its your opinion on the matter, why seek advice that may suggest contrary to your opinion? If as someone else suggested getting caught might cause the pup to be quarantined and maybe vaccinated anyway, then why not have it quarantined yourself and bring it across legitimately? if as you say getting vaccinated is your concern, you seem to be upping the odds that may happen.
    muddypaws wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but there are checks for animals entering the UK from other countries. Both islands of GB and Ireland are rabies free, so why is there a need to vaccinate between two islands that don't have the disease? I don't think its seen as an inconvenience, but rather an unnecessary vaccination, which could have health implications. The other nonsense of course is that animals don't need it to travel from GB into Northern Ireland, and whilst technically and legally, they should also have rabies vacc and a passport to go from NI into Eire, there are absolutely no checks on that whatsoever.

Fair enough, but in the OP it was stated about sneaking the pup in, that seems like someone that is prepared to go contrary to any requirements, that seems to highlight the reason to have a policy of checking. Im pretty sure or at least I hope you couldnt move a horse or a cow (which could also transmit something) so easily, I dont see why the OP should be exempt.
    To add to this, I was sure my own dog had received a rabies shot here, I'll have to check the booklet to confirm. Im also a bit concerned, but not very suprised at the mention of customs not checking animals/their passports or being more concerned about petting them, but unsuprised, given we dont have a multitude of agencies and customs seem to be at ports of entry, the task seems to fall to them, and the adverts of years gone by suggested it I believe.
    Gt Britain has a landbridge to mainland Europe, how this hasn't caused there to be a stricter change of policy or application here I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Annie - I do the UK -Ireland trip several times a year with my 2 Shih-Tzu's. I found out about the passport by accident really earlier this year and it IS expensive to sort out. Micro-chipping, rabies shots, wormed and check up with examinationcost me a couple of hundred euro. You have to wait 21 days before you can travel.

I did some research and also found that the rules were likely to change again in the New Year when local exemptions can apply. I do not agree that your ownership is commercial so you will not fall into that category. Commercial ownership is dealt with clearly in the advice notes on the UK websites.

I went out through Rosslare 3 weeks ago, and whilst waiting in the pre-boarding, area walked up and down the cars and vans and spoke to 11 cars who had dogs. Only 2 had passports and none had ever been checked either side. I didn't get an opportunity to speak to the loading staff as it is always a rush to get on and settled.

Whilst not suggesting that you avoid getting the passport I suspect the ferry companies know this will be changing again soon and are not bothering with the hassle of checking the passports.

My first trip over a couple of years ago I went to see the Purser on board as I was concerned about my girls first trip on the ferry and a member of the crew took me down to the car deck to check on them. Both fast asleep in my van!

Hope your trip goes ok.

TT

Toptec, its nowhere near a couple of hundred euro. I got my passport incl rabies vacc for €60. The passport itself used to be free but now the vets have a small charge for the passport and then the vacc on top of it.

Most dogs will already be chipped as they have to be to be IKC or KC registered. You don't need a check up so don't let the vets talk you in to spending a fortune just to get the passport. It should be no more than €100 for everything.

Unless you are going to Europe, they don't need to be wormed either.

Andrea.

I rely on my Vet to guide me through procedures I know nothing about. This was my bill for my 2 girls.

Micro-chipping - 80 euro
    Animark Registration - 15 euro (Direct to the company)
    Rabies Vaccination - 80 euro
    Wormer - 15.80
    Consultation/Quick check up - 18 euro (Discounted to zero)
    Pet Passport - 40 euro

Total 230 euro

Plus I had to have another check up 24 hours prior to travel to ensure there was no reaction. That did not cost me anything. My Vet had the Irish guidance notes from the Government and we read through them together.

TT

Yes but most people will already have their dogs chipped if they are registered with any kennel club.

The wormer is only needed if travelling to Europe, the tape worm dose. It is not required for travel to the UK.

€40 to chip one dog is very very expensive.

TopTec wrote: »
    Andrea.

I rely on my Vet to guide me through procedures I know nothing about. This was my bill for my 2 girls.

Micro-chipping - 80 euro
    Animark Registration - 15 euro (Direct to the company)
    Rabies Vaccination - 80 euro
    Wormer - 15.80
    Consultation/Quick check up - 18 euro (Discounted to zero)
    Pet Passport - 40 euro

Total 230 euro

Plus I had to have another check up 24 hours prior to travel to ensure there was no reaction. That did not cost me anything. My Vet had the Irish guidance notes from the Government and we read through them together.

TT

As Andreac says, wormer is not needed between UK and Eire, which is clearly mentioned in the guidelines. Pets also don't have to comply with the balai directive, so don't have to have the check up and fitness to travel cert, unless you are travelling with more than 5 pets, or your pet is being transported by a commercial transporter. :)

Well that has surprised me. I will have a chat with my vet and discuss the subject of the wormer and the examination.

My vet is very good, and I don't want to alienate them for the sake of a few euro especially as I have only one other practice within reasonable traveling distance and that one is like a supermarket checkout....

One other point I would mention is that my girls are both UK Kennel club registered but there was no requirement for micro-chipping 8 years ago.

Thanks

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Well that has surprised me. I will have a chat with my vet and discuss the subject of the wormer and the examination.

My vet is very good, and I don't want to alienate them for the sake of a few euro especially as I have only one other practice within reasonable traveling distance and that one is like a supermarket checkout....

One other point I would mention is that my girls are both UK Kennel club registered but there was no requirement for micro-chipping 8 years ago.

Thanks

TT

I think a lot of vets and everyone else, got very confused when the UK and Eire started imposing the rules, as to what is actually needed and what isn't. There are also loopholes and different parts of it, for instance if you are travelling to a competition, then you can travel with more than 5 dogs without the health cert etc. I guess as usual, money talks ;)

You're absolutely right, having a good vet that you trust is priceless, so definitely no point in doing anything to upset that relationship.

Advertisement