Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statue of Liberty

Options
  • 23-10-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi,

Any advice on the way of seeing the Statue of Liberty?

I hear it's crazy to queue to go inside of her.

Someone told me there is a tour of Ellis Island that includes a ferry that goes around her?

Anyone know about this? Any advice or tips really appreciated. Going there on the 17th of November.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I visited the Statue of Liberty a long time ago, the interior of the statue consists of a tall pylon from which the copper plates making up the fabric of the statue are mounted. Inside that pylon are two intertwined spiral staircases, one for up and the other for down. This means that when negotiating the staircase, you travel up twice your hight every circuit so the steps are very steep, worth noting if you have a problem with vertigo.

I'd also point out that the view from inside the crown is exactly the same as the view from the plinth - the buildings in downtown Manhattan are so tall relative to the height of the statue that you will see nothing different after climbing up inside the statue. By all means do it for the experience but just be prepared to be underwhelmed when you get to the top and I certainly wouldn't queue for hours to do it though I see that you can now reserve a slot, link below .....

Visiting Liberty Island is one of the most rewarding experiences of any trip to New York City. However, visitors who wish to enter the museum, pedestal or crown must secure an advanced reservation. For over a decade, the National Park Service has implemented a reservation policy. The reservation system is much different than how past generations accessed the Statue of Liberty.

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/index.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

When I was there last there was a 2 month waiting list to visit the inside.

I guess it depends on how much time you have to spend there but I don't think that it should be top of anyone's list. You can take a ferry to the island and walk around it for about 17 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Some good info here - http://www.statuecruises.com/plan_your_trip.aspx

It's nice to go up to the crown, but as stated above, the view is the same. If you'd like to say you've been to the crown, then make a reservation.

I've taken people to the statue many times, and if they want to go inside it I get the first ferry of the day to the island and get in line quickly. There have been times I took people there in the summer and we didn't even think about going inside once we saw the lines.

I live in NJ, so I always go from Liberty State Park to avoid NYC traffic and parking.

In the old days, you could go all the way to the lamp. There wasn't much of a climb from 1876 to 1882, but there wasn't much of a view either - http://www.retronaut.com/2011/10/the-arm-of-liberty-1876-1882/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

If you just want some nice pictures of the statue try the Staten Island Ferry. It sails right past Liberty and Ellis islands. You'll also get some nice shots of Manhattan too.
    Runs every half hour and best of all...it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

There's a good museum inside the plinth. Book tickets for the plinth, crown or around the outside online. It's not too expensive considering. Ellis Island is included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Thank you everybody that posted! A lot of useful information and great tips. I will go through it ASAP and check if i need to prebook anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Was on Liberty Island 2 years after 9/11 and could only walk around it as the State was closed. A few years ago I did Liberty Island and would highly recommend it....a very humbling experience as an Irishman.

Lady Liberty is best viewed form the ferry and not worth getting off unless you really want to.

Advertisement