Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ready to crawl???

Options
  • 23-10-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hello mamas and papas!

my little fella is almost 7 months old, in the last 5 days hes gotten two teeth(both on bottom, so cute i almost cried) and said his first word (even cuter and i actually did cry!) He said bob! hah...now he wont stop saying it :)

his voice is just the most magic this ive ever heard..you cant help but smile!!

hes almost fully sitting up by himself, such a strong little man. what im wondering is how do u guys encourage ur little ones to start crawling?

i know he'll start when hes good and ready but any advice is welcome :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my little monster started crawling properly last week (5.5 months), he had been attempting it for the last few week but i think what really helped was watching other babies crawling.

he would stare intently at them crawling and eventually figured out he had to lift his hands. he had the legs and getting himself into a sitting position. i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My fellas 8 months and has been moving for about 2 and a half months. We left him on his tummy a lot. He first moved in circles using his hands, then soon after pushing backwards. Only the other day did he actually start dragging himself forward! I think the floor is key. Ours are wood and cold so we'd always have the foam mats down. He finds these really hard to move on those. Speeding around on the wood though. Today he started getting his legs moving too. And pushing his bum up. So I'd say proper crawling isn't long off. Would probably have happened sooner if wed had carpet. He's been sitting up on his own for about 2 months too. Used one of those tyre things for about two weeks and he learned really fast.

Current favourite 'word' to babble is dadada! Hubby is chuffed! Tomorrow it'll be something else. They are so cute talking to themselves aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KateSk8

John Mason wrote: »
    my little monster started crawling properly last week (5.5 months), he had been attempting it for the last few week but i think what really helped was watching other babies crawling.

he would stare intently at them crawling and eventually figured out he had to lift his hands. he had the legs and getting himself into a sitting position. i

omg that amazing, so young!!
    my little fella doesnt be around other babies very often :/

My fellas 8 months and has been moving for about 2 and a half months. We left him on his tummy a lot. He first moved in circles using his hands, then soon after pushing backwards. Only the other day did he actually start dragging himself forward! I think the floor is key. Ours are wood and cold so we'd always have the foam mats down. He finds these really hard to move on those. Speeding around on the wood though. Today he started getting his legs moving too. And pushing his bum up. So I'd say proper crawling isn't long off. Would probably have happened sooner if wed had carpet. He's been sitting up on his own for about 2 months too. Used one of those tyre things for about two weeks and he learned really fast.

Current favourite 'word' to babble is dadada! Hubby is chuffed! Tomorrow it'll be something else. They are so cute talking to themselves aren't they?

awe thats just adorable :) my little man said mama today when i left the room! oh hes so friggin cute i cud eat him!
    i better enjoy the peace now so before he sarts going all over the place!! its great putting him on the play mat and still be there when i come back from the bathroom :) hah thatll all change soon!! exciting times ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't think you can train them to crawl. My 7 month old is pushing herself around backwards, on her back the last week. My eldest was a bum shuffler.

Some babies go straight to walking.

The crawling stage can be never ending! Holes worn in all the pants knees. Totally filthy if they get out into the garden. Getting stuck under furniture. Basically going everywhere they can find that is dangerous. Knives and fires a bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i "lost" him on wednesday. was packing his bag, left him on the floor in the sitting room. was gone 2 mins. max, came back, no Leo.

had a slight moment of panic and found him behind the TV happily chewing wires :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My lil man is 6.5 mnths. Sitting up a while . Very sturdy. Going around in circles on tummy. He cant move on foam mats or carpet just the wooden floor.
    Alot of the time when hes trying to go forward to get a toy his 2 yr old sister sees him trying to get the toy and gives it to him.

Thats what i get for teaching her to share.

hes also able to stand supported . Like up against the couch or coffee table. But im right there hands on each side waiting for him to fall.

This is from the guy who has only ever rolled once. So its true they skip phases.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

John Mason wrote: »
    i "lost" him on wednesday. was packing his bag, left him on the floor in the sitting room. was gone 2 mins. max, came back, no Leo.

had a slight moment of panic and found him behind the TV happily chewing wires :eek:

haha
    I loose mine under the couch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My fella got stuck under his activity centre yesterday. Also loves the lamp cable and litter box. :(. We are going to ikea this weekend to get stair gates etc. time to baby proof! Funny thing is he doesn't like 'falling' from sitting to his tummy. So at the mo anyway I can pretty much just put him sitting and hell stay that way! He also never rolled consecutively. He'd go from tummy to his back and vice versa but never multiple times in a row. He's also started chasing the cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Watch the poor cats dori - I speak from experience, our firstborn got hold of our cat's tail once, pulled himself up on it (cat was on the window sill), dislocated the cat's tail - 700 euro in vet bills and a very grumpy cat. :eek: Just a warning :D

Baby is finally starting to move (bum shuffle)here, at 9 months. has never really rolled, simply couldnt be arsed (i've seen him do it, so i know he is able, he just wasnt bothered), so thats something at least :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

galah wrote: »
    Watch the poor cats dori - I speak from experience, our firstborn got hold of our cat's tail once, pulled himself up on it (cat was on the window sill), dislocated the cat's tail - 700 euro in vet bills and a very grumpy cat. :eek: Just a warning :D

Baby is finally starting to move (bum shuffle)here, at 9 months. has never really rolled, simply couldnt be arsed (i've seen him do it, so i know he is able, he just wasnt bothered), so thats something at least :cool:

My 14 month old is still bum shuffling. She's like the world champion bum shuffler! She's moves like lightning. Everyone finds it amusing how she gets around. The only thing is I've had to throw so many of her bottoms away as they've been destroyed from the filth from the floor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pwurple wrote: »
    Don't think you can train them to crawl. My 7 month old is pushing herself around backwards, on her back the last week. My eldest was a bum shuffler.

Some babies go straight to walking.

The crawling stage can be never ending! Holes worn in all the pants knees. Totally filthy if they get out into the garden. Getting stuck under furniture. Basically going everywhere they can find that is dangerous. Knives and fires a bonus!

You mean yours didn't come with a manual for them to read in preparation for crawling?

:):)
    Mine is 10 months and bums around. Doesnt like being on his belly. Got his first teeth at 4 months and his back ones are taking forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    My 14 month old is still bum shuffling. She's like the world champion bum shuffler! She's moves like lightning. Everyone finds it amusing how she gets around. The only thing is I've had to throw so many of her bottoms away as they've been destroyed from the filth from the floor!

My little boy was a bum shuffler, never crawled. He only started to walk at 22 1/2 months. They say the bum shufflers are slower to get walking but when he did start walking he started running 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If I was on my first, I'd panic reading the first few posts!!!! Our smallest is 9 months next week, and no where near crawling.. All in her own good time.

As I said to my sister who was trying her best to worry me about it, "she's not going to be 25 and still not crawling!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

tazwaz wrote: »
    My little boy was a bum shuffler, never crawled. He only started to walk at 22 1/2 months. They say the bum shufflers are slower to get walking but when he did start walking he started running 😊

That's good to hear. I'm starting to get a wee bit concerned but I know she'll do it in her time. I do think if she was a crawler, she would probably be walking now but as she can see all around her and get to where she wants to go, she's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

That's good to hear. I'm starting to get a wee bit concerned but I know she'll do it in her time. I do think if she was a crawler, she would probably be walking now but as she can see all around her and get to where she wants to go, she's happy.

yeah I have heard that once they start walking they never actually 'walk' - it's running around instead. But if you think about it, that's probably their way to keep balanced - like riding a bike, the faster you go the more balanced you are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

My little boy was bum shuffling around the place at a serious speed, absolutely no need for him to have walked. I was starting to get worried he'd never walk and was seriously thinking of bringing him to a doctor (not sure what I thought a doctor could do ☺). But he literally woke up one morning and started walking. I was begging him to sit down after a few hours of running after him 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mine is half way to crawling.

He starts to move over to his front but cant quiet figure out what to do with one of his legs:D

was changing my little mans nappy on the bed today, as soon as I got is off he rolled onto his belly and started kicking his legs, he gets so hyper sometimes, was like he was trying to do the worm! so funny, flashing his little bottom!! lol

Advertisement