Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone live in Holywell? Question about extension

Options
  • 23-10-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

As per the title, I did originally post on neighbours.ie but its a bit quiet around those parts so hoped I'd get an answer here.

If you live in Holywell, preferably in one of the 3 bed end of terraces could you give me a PM.

I know a lot of people have extensions to the rear and am looking into it but wanted to get an idea of the costs and options that were available.

Thanks
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

You better check the original plans for the estate as some terraced houses you need planning permission to build small extensions.

I live in Thornleigh in Swords in a 3 bed end of terrace & decided to build a sunroom thinking I didn't need planning permission.

Just before it was completed I got a visit from the council who advised that I actually needed planning permission as it was stipulated in the original plans
    that any extensions would need planning because of the size of the houses.

I had to apply for retrospective planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

you don't require planning permission for anything below 38sq metres. The only exception is if you are leaving too little garden space.

peteb2 wrote: »
    you don't require planning permission for anything below 38sq metres. The only exception is if you are leaving too little garden space.

Some estates you do, especially if they are terraced houses.

I needed planning permission even though I had a very long garden left.

Here is the condition in my estate that doesn't allow extensions. And if you do a planning search for Thornleigh you will see loads of planning applications for single storey extensions;

Condition Notwithstanding the provisions of Part 1 of the second schedule of the local Government (Planning and Development) Regulations, 1994 or other order revoking or re-enacting this order) no extensions (including porches or dormer windows) to the dwellinghouses shall be erected, nor additional windows shall be installed without the prior written consent of the Planning Authority. REASON: To safeguard the privacy and amenity of adjoining occupiers.

http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/apply-or-search-for-a-planning-application/search-planning-applications-online/searchplanningapplicationsonline/

It's probably OK for Holywell but you should check the original planning first before you go ahead.

I think your alright. I couldn't' find the original development planning but I found an application for a single story extension in Holywell Meadows & this was the Fingal Co Co Decision;

Fingal Co Co Decision: IS Exempted Development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

40 sq metres (internal/floor area) as far as I am aware, and you must have at least 25 sq metres open space remaining.
    Check out the home renovation incentive - might be the decider between changing your rooms around vs adding the extension.
    Re the estate - I'd recommend calling into some of those houses with extensions - I'm sure people will be happy to help :)

Yeah I was trying to avoid being the crazy person and knocking on a door and saying "hey how much did this cost and can i look around"!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yeah I was trying to avoid being the crazy person and knocking on a door and saying "hey how much did this cost and can i look around"!

I actually would - most people don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Swilson263

Hi. Did you go ahead with your extension? Also have a three bed end terrace and considering one but would love some advice etc?

Thanks in advance
    As per the title, I did originally post on neighbours.ie but its a bit quiet around those parts so hoped I'd get an answer here.

If you live in Holywell, preferably in one of the 3 bed end of terraces could you give me a PM.

I know a lot of people have extensions to the rear and am looking into it but wanted to get an idea of the costs and options that were available.

Thanks
    Pete

Nope. Never did. Fella at the end of my road did. Sorry cant be of any help. I just took out the silly arch between kitchen and dining room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement