Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popular flavour combos that don't go...

• 23-10-2014 3:06pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had the misfortune of getting a take away soup that I was told was vegetable. When I got it home it was a different soup, a combination that although popular and seen almost everwhere since the early-00s, I cannot stand.

Carrot and coriander. Bleugh. Sweet carrots with the perfume-citrus of coriander just isn't a runner for me.

Another one I can't abide is minted peas. It's like someone had a brainwave along the lines, lamb + mint = good; lamb + peas = good, therefore, mint + peas = profit.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Butter-nut Squash, Chicken and Mushroom are two I have tried once but never again, bile tastes better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The revolt to corriander is based actually on a genetic tag so don't feel too bad, blame your folks. My all time flavour combo hatred has to be (and it's in the media at the moment) the Hawaiian pizza!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just had the misfortune of getting a take away soup that I was told was vegetable. When I got it home it was a different soup, a combination that although popular and seen almost everwhere since the early-00s, I cannot stand.

Carrot and coriander. Bleugh. Sweet carrots with the perfume-citrus of coriander just isn't a runner for me.

Another one I can't abide is minted peas. It's like someone had a brainwave along the lines, lamb + mint = good; lamb + peas = good, therefore, mint + peas = profit.

Any others?
    You're just weird :D Both of those are combinations made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Alun wrote: »
    You're just weird :D Both of those are combinations made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.

agreed, it's all subjective.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

duploelabs wrote: »
    The revolt to corriander is based actually on a genetic tag so don't feel too bad, blame your folks. My all time flavour combo hatred has to be (and it's in the media at the moment) the Hawaiian pizza!!!
    Haha, I knew about the genetic aspect but I don't have that aversion to coriander in general - I really like it in most things. I just can't stand the carrot/coriander mix!

Agree with you on the Hawaiian pizza bit as well.

Oh, and this is definitely all subjective - the same way as some people like Taylor Swift. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sweet fruit in anything savoury is a no-no for me. With the sole exception of berries with game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dried fruit with chocolate as in Fruit & Nut bars etc. I like dried fruit and I like chocolate, but I can't eat them together.

I'll never get over the chocolate peanut Revels being replaced with chocolate raisins :(

Sweet fruit in anything savoury is a no-no for me. With the sole exception of berries with game.
    Water Melon and spicy fried chicken is remarkably good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Give me a dinner invite & we can discuss. :)

Give me a dinner invite & we can discuss. :)

My catering company is fairly solidly booked but could possibly squeeze you in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Brie and deep fried batter. Yuck! Also, Blue Cheese sauce ruining what are toehrwsie scrummy moreish buffalo wings..

Corn. Lovely on it's own. Disgusting when mixed with Tuna or Pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pork and Apple, I can understand the sharp vs fatty concept but whenever I have tried it, I just can't get it to marry up in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Agree with mint and peas. Yeuch. Another one was a mojito cheesecake I had somewhere. Tasted like toothpaste on a biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Coke and Ice cream, prepare to have your mind blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

I for one can't understand how it is even possible to drink a cup of tea with a fried breakfast ... Hot drink + hot food does not compute! The explanation that a cup of tea is needed to "wash it all down" makes my head spin every time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Chocolate and orange just don't go together and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The popularity of this horrific combination completely baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Straylight wrote: »
    Chocolate and orange just don't go together and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The popularity of this horrific combination completely baffles me.

Chocolate Orange is the food of the gods. You should hand your taste buds back- you clearly don't deserve them

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

Tuna and cheese! Just don't get it. Tuna melt just makes me feel ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chocolate & orange - not a big fan at all. Chocolate & hazelnut - hate. Hate praline, hate when hazelnut powder is sneaked into chocolate, for some reason I can eat nutella but all the time I'm going 'Why can this not just be plain chocolate spread'. Don't like ferrero rocher. On that note, nuts in chocolate pretty much full stop (barring almonds) and alcohol in chocolate. Will never develop a Leonidas problem. Don't really like alcohol in sweets & desserts at all.

Tuna and cheese! Just don't get it. Tuna melt just makes me feel ill.

One of my comfort/guilty foods is a tuna lasange

• Advertisement

Check out Dark Chocolate and green olive and have your mind blown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭cml387

Chocolate does not go with any fruit. Cadbury Roses Strawberry Creams, those combinations of chocolate and lemon that are at the checkout in Lidl, all are just yuk (imo of course).

Mind you chocolate does go with Tayto. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

One of my comfort/guilty foods is a tuna lasange

I gagged at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Cheese with dried fruit in it is absolutely disgusting, horrible clash of textures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Chocolate & orange - not a big fan at all. Chocolate & hazelnut - hate. Hate praline, hate when hazelnut powder is sneaked into chocolate, for some reason I can eat nutella but all the time I'm going 'Why can this not just be plain chocolate spread'. Don't like ferrero rocher. On that note, nuts in chocolate pretty much full stop (barring almonds) and alcohol in chocolate. Will never develop a Leonidas problem. Don't really like alcohol in sweets & desserts at all.

I love chocolate and hazelnuts, and in particular Nutella, but I recently developed a nut allergy and now I can't eat them any more. Life is cruel sometimes. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I disagree with almost everything in this thread :D. They're all lovely combinations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chocolate & hazelnut - hate. Hate praline, hate when hazelnut powder is sneaked into chocolate, for some reason I can eat nutella but all the time I'm going 'Why can this not just be plain chocolate spread'. Don't like ferrero rocher.

Whaaaaah?!! :eek:
    This, is my opinion, is a combination made in heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Check out Dark Chocolate and green olive and have your mind blown

How did I never think of this before??
    Amazing!

Not surprising really considering green olive is a common enough flavour in dark chocolate.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Another one that I loathe is spring onion in mashed potato! Slimey bits of crap in delicious smooth mash are ew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Dried fruit that is mixed into anything. I love raisins on their own but a raisin scone or fruit cake makes me gag. I'm not sure if it is the taste or the texture but it is terrible.

Chocolate and orange and chocolate and hazelnut however are matches made in heaven. Whole nut is without doubt the best dairy milk flavour.

Advertisement