Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Striker Debate: Owen vs Torres vs Suarez

• 23-10-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

With Balotelli misfiring since arriving, a lot of people are saying that Liverpools strikers always flop (Carroll, Keane, Balotelli, Diouf, Anelka, Heskey(although wasnt too bad), Kewell, Bellamy,Morientes ).

Obviously the exceptions in this era were Owen, Torres and Suarez. But who was better in their prime?(Im not including Fowler because his prime was mid nighties)

Owen: 8 seasons with 'Pool' 158 goals in 297 games. Owen has the longevity and probably played in weaker Liverpool squads than the other two.

Torres: 4 seasons 81 goals in 142 games. Probably the most complete natural striker Ive seen. Pace, Power, Finishing, Heading and long blonde hair :pac:

Suarez: 4 seasons 82 goals in 133 games. A better individual season than the other two. Also got these goals without playing in the champions league (played in the europa league for one season)

So whos your pick?

Owen vs Torres vs Suarez 24 votes

Owen
    0% 0 votes
    Torres
    37% 9 votes
    Suarez
    62% 15 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would like Suar-res, a mixture of both Suarez and Torres..... now that would be a striker that would win you a title.

But Suarez for me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Torres the best finisher, but Suarez the best all-round attacking player, by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Torres in his prime was up there with Brazil's Ronaldo and Henry as the most enjoyable natural striker I've ever seen. I have to go with him even though Suarez is better all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Torres for 2 seasons at Liverpool was unplayable, the pace, the aggression, the finishing was outstanding.

Suarez though was another level, how many times did we say to ourselves "genius", "how did he do that?". Suarez could create something from nothing and his work rate was some of the best you will see.

Owen - less said the better, played for United I remember :pac:

You forgot one Liverpool great of our generation Fowler! Now there was the most natural finisher you will ever see. Quality quality player.

For me so

Suarez - Fowler - Torres - Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Suarez by a distance, super player and as a United fan i watched him with envy most weekends even if he is a headcase. He did so much more than both Torres and Owen, he might not be as clinical as those two in their prime but his sheer ability and determination created so many chances for himself and his team mates. I also think he could play in more systems without the system needing to be built around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Isn't there a superthread for these types of discussions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suarez, best player to have ever played in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

deadybai wrote: »
    Torres: 4 seasons 81 goals in 142 games. Probably the most complete natural striker Ive seen. Pace, Power, Finishing, Heading and long blonde hair :pac:
    Sheva says hi. Not so much on the long hair though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

rob316 wrote: »
    Torres for 2 seasons at Liverpool was unplayable, the pace, the aggression, the finishing was outstanding.

Suarez though was another level, how many times did we say to ourselves "genius", "how did he do that?". Suarez could create something from nothing and his work rate was some of the best you will see.

Owen - less said the better, played for United I remember :pac:

You forgot one Liverpool great of our generation Fowler! Now there was the most natural finisher you will ever see. Quality quality player.

For me so

Suarez - Fowler - Torres - Owen

I didnt include Fowler because all 3 played with Gerrard while they were in thier prime. Fowler was in his prime in the 90s before Gerrard

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »

I think you are misspelling Ronaldo, but okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

For me Henry is the best. Incredible consistency for Arsenal.

Ah jaysus lads there's already a best player in the league ever thread already...nip it in the bud now could ye?

Ah jaysus lads there's already a best player in the league ever thread already...nip it in the bud now could ye?

Boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

There's already a Liverpool thread as well, point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

This is going to be a great pissing contest ... I can feel it ... call it instinct.

A neutral point of view is always needed/welcomed on things like this...same with Messi vs. Ronaldo etc.

But the whole cat and dog thing of Henry vs Ronaldo vs Giggs vs Shearer vs Suarez/whoever has been done to death on more than one thread already lately

RayCon wrote: »
    This is going to be a great pissing contest ... I can feel it ... call it instinct.

Like this thread, your post lacks substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Owen at his best was a phenomenal finisher but he won't get a look in for obvious reasons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Owen at his best was a phenomenal finisher but he won't get a look in for obvious reasons :pac:

Lack of league goals? Not one truly great season?

• Advertisement

That's unfair, I'd like that we see a range of different opinions and it shouldn't(hopefully) be ruined by club biases so should get decent debate and discussion. It's interesting, plus a poll is always nice haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Suarez stats are better in every dept than the other two I'd imagine. Just pity he is a mentalist, and became too good for Liverpool (ie a massive offer was always coming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Suarez was the best I've seen at the club anyway.

I really dont get it. Suarez to me had one good season. That doesnt make him a great player IMO. As good as he was Id pick Torres and Owen before him.

Suarez stats are better in every dept than the other two I'd imagine.

Agreed but I think there's something intangible that he brings to a team as well. It reminds of when Fergie was asked who the fastest player he had was, he said he doesn't know but he said that Keane was the quickest to the ball. I think Suarez always has that mentality, even though it's sometimes misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Will Balotelli misfiring since arriving, a lot of people are saying that Liverpools strikers always flop. Obviously the exceptions in this era were Owen, Torres and Suarez.

That doesn't even make any sense. They always flop but here are 3 that were outstanding successes? And that's not even counting Fowler, Sturridge, etc.

That doesn't even make any sense. They always flop but here are 3 that were outstanding successes? And that's not even counting Fowler, Sturridge, etc.

I was talking about Carroll, Keane, Balotelli, Diouf, Anelka, Heskey(although wasnt too bad), Kewell, Bellamy,Morientes

I left Fowler out because he played in a different era and Sturridge hasnt hit his prime yet

Carroll was in his prime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Suarez by a distance, I think the other 2 are close enough in that they were outstanding for a short spell of time (in footballing terms) but quickly lost it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Suarez by a mile. An absolute mile.

Fowler over Owen as well.

Carroll was in his prime?

He probably was since he was playing at his best before he joined Liverpool

He probably was since he was playing at his best before he joined Liverpool

But Sturridge is playing his best since he joined Liverpool.

But Sturridge is playing his best since he joined Liverpool.

Yes but the three in this thread are still in a different league to Sturridge. Not saying Sturridge is bad but its not fair to compare him when his Anfield career isnt over. After it is I would include him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭bennyl10

You can't be serious?

On topic, Suarez then Owen, look over the fact he signed for united, he was a phenomenal player for ye!

I was talking about Carroll, Keane, Balotelli, Diouf, Anelka, Heskey(although wasnt too bad), Kewell, Bellamy,Morientes

I left Fowler out because he played in a different era and Sturridge hasnt hit his prime yet

That's being fairly selective. Fowler still played games and scored goals for Liverpool as late as 2007. Owen and Heskey had both had left the club 3 years earlier. Not to mention Kewell wasn't a striker.

If Owen is on there then Fowler and Sturridge should definitely be. Unless you want to make it strictly non current players. Then you can exclude Sturridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

If it wasn't for Torres turncoating I think it would be a much more genuine discussion. I'm not saying he's better than Luis, but Torres was just absolutely breathtaking. He gave us as many moments to savour as Suarez did, and without being a nutjob to boot.

If a gun was put to my head I'd say Suarez was the better player but tbh I look back more fondly at Torres' time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Do not derail the thread. If you have no opinion other than to criticise the thread, do not post.
    A neutral point of view is always needed/welcomed on things like this...same with Messi vs. Ronaldo etc.

But the whole cat and dog thing of Henry vs Ronaldo vs Giggs vs Shearer vs Suarez/whoever has been done to death on more than one thread already lately

Indeed. This is a thread for Owen, Suarez and Torres. It is not a thread for comparing other club's players to them. There is merit in a wider discussion of these players and their performances at Liverpool than might take place inside the introspective nature of a Club Superthread. Under this specific guideline, this thread can survive, but it will be reviewed regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Suarez by some considerable distance

Suarez was better than the other two put together.

All 3 were fantastic players for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Suarez reasonably comfortably for me, he was the best player in the world last year (not including Ronaldo/Messi obviously, but they've been so far ahead of the pack for so long that they can almost be left off at this stage), but I wouldn't say by a country mile or anything since Torres was unbelievable in his first season.

After that, and (no disrespect to them) a long distance behind, I think it's a bit of a toss up between Fowler and Owen. Fowler for me is a bit like Cantona at Man Utd in that he did exceptionally well but at a time when English football was in possibly it's weakest ever period post Heysel, and has a bit of an 'aura' around him for his personality (and being local) that also helped out his reputation though he was lethal early on. Owen was extremely good for them too, and in his defence his peak years came at a time when they weren't playing a very attacking style style of football so he had to get on the end of a lot of long balls and was often isolated, but he never got 20 league goals... that said he has the longest lasting success of any striker post Rush. If Sturridge can continue his first 18 months' form now that Suarez is gone, he will be fast getting up to these two also.

Where would older posters put Rush, by the way? He was an absolute goal machine in his first spell at Liverpool and still very good the second time 'round, but I don't think he ever quite reached the overall level of Suarez or Torres from what I have seen/read/heard, but still put up 30 league goals and 47 in all competitions in 83/84 when English football was extremely strong (and 30 more league goals in the Heysel ban era, in 86/87). I can't really give a proper opinion on it, but my guess is that on peak performance he would be in third place but on overall career contribution he would have to be out in first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

1. Suarez
    2. Torres
    3. Owen

Fowler and possibly Sturridge should be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

owen was great during his time at liverpool
    torres was fantastic during his time at liverpool
    suarez was probably the best player to ever play for the club

Billy86 wrote: »
    Suarez reasonably comfortably for me, he was the best player in the world last year (not including Ronaldo/Messi obviously, but they've been so far ahead of the pack for so long that they can almost be left off at this stage), but I wouldn't say by a country mile or anything since Torres was unbelievable in his first season.

After that, and (no disrespect to them) a long distance behind, I think it's a bit of a toss up between Fowler and Owen. Fowler for me is a bit like Cantona at Man Utd in that he did exceptionally well but at a time when English football was in possibly it's weakest ever period post Heysel, and has a bit of an 'aura' around him for his personality (and being local) that also helped out his reputation though he was lethal early on. Owen was extremely good for them too, and in his defence his peak years came at a time when they weren't playing a very attacking style style of football so he had to get on the end of a lot of long balls and was often isolated, but he never got 20 league goals... that said he has the longest lasting success of any striker post Rush. If Sturridge can continue his first 18 months' form now that Suarez is gone, he will be fast getting up to these two also.

Where would older posters put Rush, by the way? He was an absolute goal machine in his first spell at Liverpool and still very good the second time 'round, but I don't think he ever quite reached the overall level of Suarez or Torres from what I have seen/read/heard, but still put up 30 league goals and 47 in all competitions in 83/84 when English football was extremely strong (and 30 more league goals in the Heysel ban era, in 86/87). I can't really give a proper opinion on it, but my guess is that on peak performance he would be in third place but on overall career contribution he would have to be out in first.

Rush was the greatest and in 20/30 years it'll still be that way. 346 goals in 660 apps may never be beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I often find Michael Owen doesn't get as much credit as he deserves off a lot of Liverpool fans, he was a fantastic striker for Liverpool, the Ballon d'Or in 2001 was a brilliant achievement. Presumably for the way he left the club and then later went onto United put him in a lot of fans bad books, but I always think it's unfair how people dismiss him when talking about great players at Anfield.

Voted for Suarez myself, last season alone he put in performances that you would only see from the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, was only at the club for half the length of Michael Owen but in terms of ability he is definitely the best player I've seen play for Liverpool.

I often find Michael Owen doesn't get as much credit as he deserves off a lot of Liverpool fans, he was a fantastic striker for Liverpool, the Ballon d'Or in 2001 was a brilliant achievement. Presumably for the way he left the club and then later went onto United put him in a lot of fans bad books, but I always think it's unfair how people dismiss him when talking about great players at Anfield.

Voted for Suarez myself, last season alone he put in performances that you would only see from the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, was only at the club for half the length of Michael Owen but in terms of ability he is definitely the best player I've seen play for Liverpool.

Owen was incredible.

Don't see any problems with him going to Utd. Not as if he left from Liverpool to go there. He gave me some of my best moments as a fan anyway.

That daylight robbery v Arsenal in 2001 was fantastic!!

Owen was never overly popular even before he joined United. He was always more admired than loved by the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't really think many Liverpool fans care that much that he played for Man U at the end. It's not like he left Liverpool for them. As has been said above, he was never really a fans favourite when he was at the club. Wherever Liverpool fans are placing him in this poll really has nothing to do with his Man U spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm not a Liverpool fan but for me it has to be Torres. In his prime he was outstanding. He gave poor Nemanja Vidic fits when we played 'Pool. It's a pity he wasn't able to sustain his play at that level.

Very surprised Bitey is so far clear as the number 1. Thought it would have been closer between all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I think people are forgetting just how deadly Torres was for Liverpool. As a United fan, I was truly fearful when ever he went up against us. The only player in the premier league that I can remember that always got the better of Vidic. He had absolutely everything you need in a striker. Pace, power, aggression, good in the air and an absolutely lethal finisher. His time at Chelsea certainly isn't indicative of him at his best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement