Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Options Straffan Wood, Maynooth

Options
  • 23-10-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I'm moving to an apartment in Straffan Wood, Maynooth soon and have been looking at the available broadband options. UPC is not available. I also spoke to Eircom and it seems eFibre is not available (despite their map saying otherwise). Can anyone from the area suggest a good alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There isn't one.

The estate has ethernet and TV cable to each house installed by the builders but the operator went bust and its assets are now somewhere deep inside Digiweb and being ignored. Eircom offer about 7mbits and that's it until a eFibre cabinet goes in.

Wireless providers claiming to offer higher speeds will drive you utterly insane and anyway, you can't install antennas on an apartment block.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We live up the road and have Digiweb Metro and UPC.

Plain old DSL might be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

An eFibre cabinet was installed a couple of weeks ago, so the estate should get eFibre broadband sometime in the future, but I don't know how soon that will be

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be going with Eircom for the time being. I've been spoiled with UPC for the last few years, so it kind of feels like going back to the dark ages. Hopefully eFibre will be available soon if they've put in a cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 damancio

Hi There, just moved to Straffan Wood, is there still no broadband available? What would be the best option for internet on the estate? TIA

• Advertisement

VDSL over phone line. Can get about 70mbits depending on where in the estate you are. Vodafone probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 damancio

So I need to go with eircom in the first instance and then VDSL? Do you know how much that will cost?

If you've no line in eircom or Vodafone should be able to provision. Other providers - sky especially - are useless at new installs. Lots of deals for about 40-45 a month. Note that they call it "fibre" - it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

L1011 Does your comment about sky and "fibre" apply to the whole of Maynooth do you know. Currently have Virgin phone, broadband and TV as well as sky tv, and looking to cull one of them. Thanks.

It applies everywhere in the town. Its copper delivered VDSL and its unable to go over 100mbit. Add TV on Vodafone or eir and you're down to 80 at best. Virgin's current kit can do 400 - also not fibre

Actual fibre is unlikely to be rolled out any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Am Virgin and have been in three locations in Maynooth with it, plus Upc in another. Have high end performance to date (over 3/4yrs) in all locations. And i need it for work.

Actually pulled out of buying in an estate as it only had eircom and the locals reported poor connectivity.

All we need is SIRO.

Advertisement