Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Action sport camera options.

• 23-10-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I like to do lots of action sports, (snowboaring wakeboarding surfing, mountain biking) and I'm looking to buy a decent second hand camera, say off donedeal or ebay.

I already have a go pro but I'm after somthing that can zoom and take fast moving photos/videos. If you had any small advice I'd really appricate it..

Sorry now, but I'm quite new to the photography scene so you may have to dumb it down a little for me.

Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

The Canon 7D Mark ii would be ideal, but as its just hitting the shops in 2 weeks you'd have to wait a while to get one second hand. But there'll be a lot of people upgrading there Mark one which is a great sport's camera, I'm guessing you'd pick a good second hand up for €600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

What sort of budget do you have? For about 1000 you could set a second hand 7D Mk 1 and a Canon 70-200 F4. Would be a great starting combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Cathal2637 wrote: »
    Hi

I like to do lots of action sports, (snowboaring wakeboarding surfing, mountain biking) and I'm looking to buy a decent second hand camera, say off donedeal or ebay.

I already have a go pro but I'm after somthing that can zoom and take fast moving photos/videos. If you had any small advice I'd really appricate it..

Sorry now, but I'm quite new to the photography scene so you may have to dumb it down a little for me.

Thanks for all the help.

Are you looking for something portable and relatively point and shoot - or are you looking for a DSLR with interchangeable lenses? For the action sports - will you be a part of the action and need something you can carry easily or will you be a by-stander getting shots of the action?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cathal2637

Hey! Sorry on the major delay at getting back to you guys.. Was away travelling for a bit.

Basically I'm looking for a camara to photo what ever activity im doing. (So not PoV)

Also Id hope to use the camera while travelling,
    Iv been looking on eBay an im after a dslr ideally with a lense with my budget being 400-500 euros.
    I'm a bit lost tho when it comes to models etc etc.

To be honest I need to do some more research myself but im completely open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

get a 7D mk1 from mpb photographic its a great all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well if you want something to actually have have on you while snowboarding and riding, I think you should take a good look at the size of a 7D first. I have skied with an Olympus E-M5 in my pack with no problem. Helps that it is very water resistant.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#154,289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

For €1k or under, you should be able to pick up a Canon 1D MKIII second hand, or even dig deeper and get a MK IV. Great sports lens.

Then for around €900 you can get a 70-200 F4 new, that will do you grand for outdoor sports. If you shoot indoors, you will need to go for the 2.8 70-200

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are likely to be in wet environments then many of the entry level DSLR's could be a problem. When you get up into the pro-sumer or pro bodies and lenses they are quite good at being water and dust resistant. Look at Canon or Nikon as they have the most options for lenses and used bodies will be at a good price. Maybe something like a Nikon D300 or the Canon equivalent. It's the lenses which hold their value and will set you back a bit.

If you are new to photography and not really familiar with controlling light, maybe you would be better off with a good bridge camera instead. The advantages of a DSLR are only fully realised when you learn to take control of them. In point and shoot modes you will get more bang for your buck with an advanced compact. I have a Canon G12 with the Waterproof Housing. It's great for using in adverse conditions and is very versatile and rugged. Not sure what the current model is in the G series but they have always been good.

Advertisement