Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

End of Tax Discs in the UK - End of Tax Disc Holders?!

• 23-10-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

As you may have heard, from 1st October motorists in the UK no longer have to display tax discs.
    So that's all great for them, but does it mean there won't be any motorbike tax disc holders around for sale anymore? Presumably the Irish market is tiny and up to this point has been supplied from UK stock, which will now disappear.
    Does any other country have the same size tax discs or will we have to make do with the holders we have until the Irish authorities see the light and get rid of ours too??

Plenty of heavily discounted holders on Amazon at the moment, so I think I'll seize the opportunity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

That's a tragedy! Wtf will they cover their number plates with now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

goodlad wrote: »

Strategically placed leaf....well it is autumn officer.....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They dont hide the reg plates in the north or the UK, the PSNI and the UK Police are absolutely lethal when it comes to that carry on. If the disc is not on the left hand side of the bike in the "EXACT" place they come down very hard with zero tolerance. Not like in the south :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The Tax disc holders will be still useful in the UK for displaying the MOT disc on Motorcycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Actually, this is something I need to buy. My problem with tax disc holders is that they're all shíte quality. Should I just buy a crap one and replace it in a couple of years, or is there a decent one out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Actually, this is something I need to buy. My problem with tax disc holders is that they're all shíte quality. Should I just buy a crap one and replace it in a couple of years, or is there a decent one out there?

The ones with the allen key fixings to close it seem grand.
    However I don't keep a bike for a few years not to mind a tax disc holder so I am prob not the best reviewer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Carry my disc in my wallet....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Bought a 10 year old bike the other day, the disc is stored in the glove box in a pristine, never-attached holder :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The Tax disc holders will be still useful in the UK for displaying the MOT disc on Motorcycles.
    There is no MOT disk in the UK. Once a vehicle is MOT'ed a certificate is issued still, but most checks are done electronically. When you apply for insurance or tax there is an automatic check for a valid MOT.

Tax was the only thing that had to be displayed, now there is nothing to be displayed.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

leppla wrote: »
    The ones with the allen key fixings to close it seem grand.
    However I don't keep a bike for a few years not to mind a tax disc holder so I am prob not the best reviewer!

I got one of them for the new bike. Tax disc got soaked first time I had it in the rain, granted it was near monsoon conditions coming down an Alpine col.

Hopefully by the time the stock of holders run out we'll have switched to an ANPR system as well, now I'll have to go the way some cars do it and wash the bike so much the paint wears off the number plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

A good trick is to laminate the tax disc before putting it in the holder. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

leppla wrote: »
    A good trick is to laminate the tax disc before putting it in the holder. Job done.

If the disc is getting manky or wet then the holder is FUBAR. My pink red one is the allen key jobby I got for €20 and it keeps the disc perfect all year round.

I aint OCD enough to laminate a tax disc.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

goodlad wrote: »

@serious3 and myself seen a spanish lad when we were at the MotoGP, he had a strategically placed bag handle in the way :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

MrPudding wrote: »
    There is no MOT disk in the UK. Once a vehicle is MOT'ed a certificate is issued still, but most checks are done electronically. When you apply for insurance or tax there is an automatic check for a valid MOT.

Tax was the only thing that had to be displayed, now there is nothing to be displayed.

MrP

I was assuming that the same rules applied in the UK mainland that applied in North of Ireland.
    Bikes in North of Ireland had to have a Tax disc and an MOT disc displayed.
    I also have an Mot disc for my Land rover which is registered in North.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Carry my disc in my wallet....;)

Same here, I've never displayed a disc on any bike I've owned, as for covering the plate ~ I've a small plate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was assuming that the same rules applied in the UK mainland that applied in North of Ireland.
    Bikes in North of Ireland had to have a Tax disc and an MOT disc displayed.
    I also have an Mot disc for my Land rover which is registered in North.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

That is odd. I was born and lived in NI for 27 years and owned several vehicles. During that time only tax had to be displayed, never MOT. The MOT was, and is, a certificate, and I have never seen it, as side from Southern Ireland, in disk form. That said, I have not been there in some time, but I don't see why they would take what is, effectively, a backward step, aside from the fact that they are civil servants and backwards steps are fairly common... I wonder when they brought that in.

When I was displaying a tax disk on my bike I used one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secur-i-Disc-Standard-Vehicle-Tamper-Holder/dp/B004NSRDZK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414410316&sr=8-2&keywords=Secur-i-Disc

MrP

Advertisement