Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorse honey?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hello beekeeps, we've always loved the smell of gorse flowers and I was wondering if there are any honeys that are predominantly gorse based? Can anyone of you guys point me in the direction of some?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Native Honey Bee

Gorse is an excellent source of pollen and is available early in the year. I am not aware that it produces much if any nectar, so not much chance of gorse honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Its like Native Honey Bee said , it is usually early spring or late autumn that it flowers, while its an excellent source for spring pollen , the nectar is consumed by the bees to expand the brood nest . Here it flowers from late December to April where the bees are only building up numbers getting ready for an early flow. There are some varieties that flower in autumn, again the bees use this to store it , for when they need it over the winter. I doubt you will find it in Ireland as the predominant crop in a hive. From September to April the bees need everything they bring in for their own use

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

interesting question & replys,90% of the gorse in my area flowers very early spring so very good news for me. It also makes extremely good wine but a pains taking job picking the flowers

Advertisement