Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile food business

Options
  • 23-10-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

I know what food I would be selling & where I could sell it
    but what are the legal requirements for selling food?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Your local envirnomental health officer (HSE) is who you need to contact.

You simply need to register with them (no charge) and they will come and inspect your business. They are not interested in the location or licencing of the premises/mobile unit, they are just interested in you serving food safely.

You will need to follow HACCP guidelines and keep records of temperatures of food regularly. You also need to keep records of all food deliveries/purchases and the temperature they are delivered at (if they are refridgerated/frozen goods)

After a couple of inspections they will rank you - a mobile food business will probably be on a higher rank than a business in a building and you would probably get 2 unannounced visits a year (they work weekends and night!)

It seems quite strict, but once you get a hang of it, its a simple process of keeping records and detailing action taken if temperatures are not within the range set.

What I like about it is that once you know you are following their guidelines, you can be quite certain that your customers will be safe - and if the food is good too, they'll be happy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

delahuntv wrote: »
    Your local envirnomental health officer (HSE) is who you need to contact.

You simply need to register with them (no charge) and they will come and inspect your business. They are not interested in the location or licencing of the premises/mobile unit, they are just interested in you serving food safely.

You will need to follow HACCP guidelines and keep records of temperatures of food regularly. You also need to keep records of all food deliveries/purchases and the temperature they are delivered at (if they are refridgerated/frozen goods)

After a couple of inspections they will rank you - a mobile food business will probably be on a higher rank than a business in a building and you would probably get 2 unannounced visits a year (they work weekends and night!)

It seems quite strict, but once you get a hang of it, its a simple process of keeping records and detailing action taken if temperatures are not within the range set.

What I like about it is that once you know you are following their guidelines, you can be quite certain that your customers will be safe - and if the food is good too, they'll be happy too.

Are there any courses I could do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Are there any courses I could do?

Looks like there's plenty out there to choose from:

https://www.google.ie/#q=haccp+training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Thanks for all your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement