Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants cash

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

whupdedo wrote: »
    You can say what you want but in this market the landlord calls the shots, I ask for cash and won't take do it by any other means, everything is above board and the tenant knows it before they move in, if they don't like it, tough, go find somewhere else to rent

It's laughable that people here think it's backwards and 19th century to want cash, but in the real world outside of office hours cash is king, it's a landlords market and they can pick and choose and make demands for cash if they want

The reason I ask for cash is its easier for me to pay bills when I want to pay them, not when the direct debit says I have to

It is a landlord's market AND paying rent in cash is backward and 19th century. The two are not mutually exclusive. Paying cash for anything substantial or reoccurring such as rent is backward and 19th century.

Calling around to the house probably has certain advantages though such as meeting the tenants and ensuring the place is being well kept. It would be like an unofficial inspection every month.

Personally if a landlord wanted me to arrange to be in the house at a certain time every rent day I would not be impressed. What if I want to be elsewhere but can't leave because I'm waiting around for the LL who couldn't figure out how to work a parking meter machine or whatever.

Even if payments take 3 days to land in the LL's account, That is still far more reliable and predictable payment than lots of other businesses who have to send out bills and wait for payment before chasing clients up for payment. A small bit of organisation on a LL's part and they could arrange to pay their own regular bills in the middle of the month when all the rent will definitely have landed in their account

That is what I mean by organisation and professionalism. Cash smacks of disorganisation and an unwillingness to take their job as LL seriously. What happens when something breaks and I need them to fix it? Will they get their mate 'Dangerous Dave' the 'have a go sparky' who only deals in cash to come have a look?

You might be a perfectly respectable LL but dealing in cash sends the wrong message.

As you said, it is a LL market which means they can get away with 19th century practices such as collecting rent in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Don't see the problem at all, as long as is appropriately documented. And has the benefit of ensuring that there is monthly contact with the LL.

Sure, maybe a higher proportion of cash LLs are not tax compliant, but I cannot give two monkeys whether my LL pays his or her tax. That is their concern...not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

And has the benefit of ensuring that there is monthly contact with the LL.
    How is that a benefit for anybody?
    I haven't spoken to my landlord in 2 years, and we're both happy with it that way.
    This is how a mature rental arrangement should be. If my LL were to start turning up each month, I would tell them that this stops immediately or I will be leaving.

Both LL and tenant have to take time out each month to do a job that computers can do for us. Who would be bothered doing an asinine job like this that computers have been doing for 20+ years? Do you balance your chequebook with a pen and paper too?

It reminds me of yeeeears ago living in slumlord "apartments" in Rathmines where the overbearing LL (who was almost married to their flats) would collect rent and have a peek inside each month. Seems like just a stubborn old person who does not understand that the old ways are just about gone, and their current "active landlord" role has been in decline for a long time, and will be extinct soon.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    How is that a benefit for anybody?
    I haven't spoken to my landlord in 2 years, and we're both happy with it that way.
    This is how a mature rental arrangement should be. If my LL were to start turning up each month, I would tell them that this stops immediately or I will be leaving.

Both LL and tenant have to take time out each month to do a job that computers can do for us. Who would be bothered doing an asinine job like this that computers have been doing for 20+ years? Do you balance your chequebook with a pen and paper too?

It reminds me of yeeeears ago living in slumlord "apartments" in Rathmines where the overbearing LL (who was almost married to their flats) would collect rent and have a peek inside each month. Seems like just a stubborn old person who does not understand that the old ways are just about gone, and their current "active landlord" role has been in decline for a long time, and will be extinct soon.

My parents do, yes (and they are in their early sixties, not their nineties)

As to LL contact....this focum is full of people that can't get in touch and can't get stuff fixed

their mate 'Dangerous Dave' the 'have a go sparky' who only deals in cash to come have a look?

No more than paying a LL in cash there is nothing wrong with paying tradesmen in cash, in fact its the norm to pay tradesmen in cash (from my experience anyway).

As a tenant its handier to pay through a transfer but if I was a LL I'd be more inclined to want cash, if nothing else it gives you an excuse to check out the property and whats happening there once a month.

• Advertisement

No more than paying a LL in cash there is nothing wrong with paying tradesmen in cash, in fact its the norm to pay tradesmen in cash (from my experience anyway).

As a tenant its handier to pay through a transfer but if I was a LL I'd be more inclined to want cash, if nothing else it gives you an excuse to check out the property and whats happening there once a month.

What about a tradesman who ONLY deals in cash?

What about mortgage repayments where someone comes around to your house to collect cash? What if ESB came around and read your meter and charged cash on the same day. You could make it work but it would be better if it were done by SO/DD. It's a symptom of an industry which has failed to come in line with 21st century norms of professionalism.

Strange but fair enough.

To be honest I am really surprised that there are any people who would bother with cash these days but the responses demonstrate that there are.

I've been renting in North East of England for the past few years and haven't even heard cash mentioned by any prospective LL or any of my friends for that matter.

I have found the renting scene here to be much more professional than home from start to finish. I still hold the idea that SO/DD is just the way things ought to be done for convenience and security. No confusion, no mix-ups, no waiting around for LL to call in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, back in the 1990s it was the norm.

These days, reputable tradespeople generally have their bank account number printed on their invoice, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

These days, reputable tradespeople generally have their bank account number printed on their invoice, surely?

Yes and reputable tradesmen also take cash, as its just handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Yes and reputable tradesmen also take cash, as its just handy.

How does a tradesman doing a one off job compare to a recurring monthly four figure expense?

This thread highlights the level of professionalism you can expect when renting here. Many landlords dont seem to think normal business standards apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I actually prefer when my lodger gives me cash; it means I have a stash for emergencies in the house - I don't have a cheque book anymore so cash is great for tradesmen, getting takeaways and having cash in the house if I've forgotten to get some out, I don't get done for as many transaction fees with my bank for taking money out, it's savings that are not likely to get lost if a bank goes bust.

I still declare all the income with revenue, but y'know cos I prefer cash I must be dodgy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

drumswan wrote: »
    How does a tradesman doing a one off job compare to a recurring monthly four figure expense?

This thread highlights the level of professionalism you can expect when renting here. Many landlords dont seem to think normal business standards apply to them.

I don't follow your point and i was referring to the insinuation that a tradesman accepting cash is not reputable.

Many landlords are not professionals, thats the simple truth. This country is full of people that are/were forced to rent out property.

Edit: also FYI many businesses do prefer to take a cash payment.

I don't follow your point and i was referring to the insinuation that a tradesman accepting cash is not reputable.

Many landlords are not professionals, thats the simple truth. This country is full of people that are/were forced to rent out property.

Edit: also FYI many businesses do prefer to take a cash payment.

Maybe they were forced into it but the point is that they are unprofessional not that they are bad people. The point I'm making is that for whatever reason they are not very professional and some are really not very good at their job.

The_Morrigan you're not dodgy necessarily but definitely old fashioned in you're attitudes towards cash. Old fashioned LL in an industry which has changed a LOT in the last 20 years.

For me its like a solicitor working out of a garden shed. He could be very professional and good at his job but I would just find another. It's a LL market as has been said before but that does not make practices such as dealing in cash a good idea.

The original post was effectively asking if it was dodgy. It might be unprofessional or old fashioned in the eyes of many, but doesn't mean it is dodgy

Still the norm and not just small jobs, having been talking to a number of people who are having houses built at the moment and its pretty much all cash payment for the tradesmen doing the work.

As others have mentioned it handy to have a cash for many things, and receiving it like this helps avoid lots of bank charges etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

The original post was effectively asking if it was dodgy. It might be unprofessional or old fashioned in the eyes of many, but doesn't mean it is dodgy

If it's not dodgy and the tenant insists on lodging it every month then of course the landlord will have no objections.

I would refuse to pay cash and say it's electronic transfer only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Beaner1 wrote: »
    If it's not dodgy and the tenant insists on lodging it every month then of course the landlord will have no objections.

I would refuse to pay cash and say it's electronic transfer only.

And as stated before its a landlords market, if they want cash in hand every month they can demand it no matter how backwards it seems, if you refuse to pay in cash, then you will have to keep looking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Adrian J Lynch

Are you registered with PRTB?

Are you registered with PRTB?

Is who registered with PTRB?

whupdedo wrote: »
    And as stated before its a landlords market, if they want cash in hand every month they can demand it no matter how backwards it seems, if you refuse to pay in cash, then you will have to keep looking

Not after you are already in situ.

Not after you are already in situ.

Do you go stand at the top of the queue in a shop or pub that refuses to take card and complain and moan and stand there refusing to pay?

If a LL wants cash he is entitled to get it simple as that, it's not unprofessional and it does not mean he is dodgy.

• Advertisement

If a LL wants cash he is entitled to get it simple as that, it's not unprofessional and it does not mean he is dodgy.
    Of course its unprofessional. What other professional calls to your house looking for cash every month?

Of course its unprofessional. What other professional calls to your house looking for cash every month?

How many people pay their bills at the post office in cash, save to the credit union by lodging cash, pay for all their groceries with cash, pay tradesmen with cash?? A LL is pretty unique in the calling to your house, replace that with dropping into the LL office and giving him the rent while you are on the way to the post office to pay your bills via cash and it doesn't look so strange.

I've rented (house-shares) three times and my last two LL dealt in cash only and to be honest it was a non-issue. Current one is electronic transfer which I said earlier is obviously much handier but I still see cash as a perfectly normal way to do things. Also if I was a LL I'd be inclined to godown the cash route also as mentioned earlier, it's very handy to be getting cash for many things and it also gives you a monthly look at the place you are renting out.

I'd charge him a fee for handling cash and also for forcing a monthly appointment. €100 per month.

A LL is pretty unique in the calling to your house, replace that with dropping into the LL office and giving him the rent while you are on the way to the post office to pay your bills via cash and it doesn't look so strange.
    Replace some bloke showing up at your house with you going to a business to pay? One is nothing like the other.

Replace some bloke showing up at your house with you going to a business to pay? One is nothing like the other.

The LL is providing a service, for which the tenant pays. You make it sound like the LL is turning up to extort money. Rent is not that different to a bill for services provided

The LL is providing a service, for which the tenant pays. You make it sound like the LL is turning up to extort money. Rent is not that different to a bill for services provided

Exactly, so it should be paid like every other bill for services provided. Anything else is unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Exactly, so it should be paid like every other bill for services provided. Anything else is unprofessional.

Invoiced/billed and paid by the customer any way they wish based on the numerous payment options available?
    Those options being direct debit, cash at any bill paying agent or bank, cheque, postal order and bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I'd charge him a fee for handling cash and also for forcing a monthly appointment. €100 per month.

Lol, im mad as hell and im not going to take this anymore!

And many people do still pay bills in cash. Cash is not dead yet, and does not equate to unprofessionalism. My folks in their 60s still balance their cheque book every month, and hardly pay anything electronically

• Advertisement
Advertisement