Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks near Callan

Options
  • 23-10-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

New to Callan was wondering if there was any nice walks close by or forestry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Ballykeeffe Wood, Desart, Castlemorris are all within easy reach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Where's our resident expert on Callan when you need them. Foxxxxxxyyyyyyyyy assemble!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hi, have you got a dog? if yes there are some lovely spots for dogs to run free, Ballykeefe is fantastic, the views are stunning, Desart, very quiet especially if you go up the side road off the R691, coming from Bretts down the 1014, cross the 691 and then take the first right in a few minutes sheer delight.
    They the forestry have taken down the pine trees in some of the woods and it has opened them up, going the other way Castlemorris is worth a visit, go down through the new line, when you get to the cross roads go straight over, at the junction turn left and Castlemorris gates are on your right, park opposite and enjoy.
    Of course Slievenamon offers some energetic walks, go to Kilcash and go up and up and up, some view.
    Enjoy but buy a survey map, good luck and take a bottle of water.
    Foxy at the ready

As you will know for many years Callan had to make do with one supermarket, about 18 months ago that all changed when Aldi arrived.
    However, the core business of both SV and Aldi is to sell food, this includes fresh food like dairy, meat and fruit and vegetable.
    As a customer I expect to be able to shop in relative safety, and not have to inspect every item to check the "Use by Date", my presumption is that there is a duty of care placed on the supermarket to ensure the food I buy is fit for consumption. If the "Use by Date" is today or tomorrow I would expect that food be shown to have a very short life and sold at a discount. If I shop for the week such food is not suitable and should be rejected.
    Once again if a shop whose core business is food is selling food which has passed the "Use by Date" one has to ask what is happening, are they cutting corners elsewhere, with open deli's and fresh produce unwrapped how old is it, how long as it sat in that display?
    Thankfully Aldi do not have open display's all their food is packaged, do they have time to check "use by Dates" the speed shelves are filled, what is the criteria.
    I know there are some who will say it is your responsibility to check the "Use by Date", I disagree, it is the seller who must be responsible, I enjoy soft fruit I frequently find that there are examples of mould in packages, what are the staff doing? One of the four packs of yoghurts or worse the six packs with only one day left, it is no good to anyone.
    Are we putting up with second even third rate management, where is the Food Inspectorate, or is that another joke.
    Happy shopping, Foxy, yes do check the bread you buy, some shops enjoy mixing almost out of date with fresh stock, enjoy your toast.

Hi, it was late when I saw the post, however there is a number of Forest walks, as I said Desart is particularly brilliant without having to go far, not far away is Ballykeefe which has a dedicated parking facility, the walk is invigourating and the views stunning, if you are into views go to Kilmanagh and take the road to Kilkenny and Ballycallan Garden Centre, from the top of the hill it is really breath taking.
    Actually one of the reasons I love going to Clonmel is the views of Slievenamon and apart from Billy Kehoe there is a fine bakery in Grangemockler, on the way down the hill there is yet more forest walks and a large car park. Of course you can go all the way and the walk along the river near to the cider factory is rewarding.
    Of course having got that far it is not a long way to Dove Hill, whats that, a lovely shopping outlet with a brill café and one can see Mia Carney's paintings, some artist.
    The whole area is worth exploring, go to Carrick and take the road to Lemybrien, wow, if you detour to Mahon Falls and the magic road you will remember it forever, it is about 35 minutes drive from Callan.
    Enjoy Callan there is a lot to be enjoyed.
    Foxy the traveller

• Advertisement
Advertisement