Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people abroad who just won't shut up moaning about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

kneemos wrote: »
    Ireland is full of Irish.

The problem with Ireland is that it's full of Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What I find worse is Irish people moving abroad and constantly whinging about where they've moved to and the locals.

Ffs. :rolleyes:

You get that alright but it's not only the Irish at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

You'll find that they're kids on their first real break away from home . . .

Wait until they have kids and they will be dying to come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I think they are missing home, and this is why they give out.

Welcome home to your beautiful country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Ah bless, trying to feel better about yourselves. As much as I wanted to stay in Ireland, I probably should be grateful for the the thick, insular, small minded ****'s I used to work with. Only for them, I wouldn't have left and I wouldn't be as totally minted as I am today. I love my homeland, there's no more beautiful country in the world and I always visit family & friends 6-7 times a year. But it's the few inbred, insular types and their incestuous cliques that will always have a strangled hold on some professions.

Do you work on the cutting edge of German finance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I finally got out of Ireland I stopped moaning about it.

If people ask me what it's like, I'll mostly say positive things. Though if someone asks why I left, I will tell them why.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

I love ireland always did and will return one day. I am living in the usa just over a year and I'm enjoying the change of scenery and the new opportunities. I find the complete opposite of the OP, been home twice since I left and the moaning of the people at home is draining. Water charges, property tax, rent prices bla bla bla. People here don't moan they just get on with it and it's refreshing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

fussyonion wrote: »
    People who've emigrated pi** me off and I'm not sure why.

Whenever I hear of people who've gone off to Oz or New Zealand, found work, fell in love, had a child....and just deserted their families, friends and country..it just irks me.

I know a fella who moved to Oz back in 2005. He met someone, married her, had a baby and now he's always on Facebook saying he wishes one day he can get home so that his parents can meet his son before they die.

I find the whole thing so sad for the people left behind.

Maybe we could start an appeal for him :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ireland would be perfect to me if there were no knackers and travellers...and better weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I haven't been in Ireland in two years, amn't I deadly!

Come back when you have 25 years under your belt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Ah bless, trying to feel better about yourselves. As much as I wanted to stay in Ireland, I probably should be grateful for the the thick, insular, small minded ****'s I used to work with. Only for them, I wouldn't have left and I wouldn't be as totally minted as I am today. I love my homeland, there's no more beautiful country in the world and I always visit family & friends 6-7 times a year. But it's the few inbred, insular types and their incestuous cliques that will always have a strangled hold on some professions.

In fairness, I don't know what industry you work in, but in my experience, if you work hard you get rewarded. Being completely honest, you came across with a lot of attitude in your post. If you were bringing that same attitude to work I would not be surprised that you would never reach the pinnacle of your profession here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah bless, trying to feel better about yourselves. As much as I wanted to stay in Ireland, I probably should be grateful for the the thick, insular, small minded ****'s I used to work with. Only for them, I wouldn't have left and I wouldn't be as totally minted as I am today

Success.

Brings out the best in some. Not you though. Your scorn, your attitude, your language and your fury, not good. Minted you may be, I'd rather be comfortable and happy. Enjoy. (Or try and enjoy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Your bitterness is literally going to corrode your soul. Honestly. Just forget about it and concentrate on your current life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The only reason I emigrated was because I was fed up with the Irish drinking culture. Other than that its a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I like getting away every now and then but my favourite bit of every trip I've ever been on is that first view of Ireland as you fly back in.

I like it too, but only because I hate flying and at that point it's nearly over. Normally I'm thinking "Oh look, it's raining. Who would have expected it"

There are many things about Ireland that suck. Although there are many good things here there's many utterly terrible things too. Our public transport is a fcuking shambles for a start. I'd prefer to listen to someone who had an actual point to make rather than those tossers who think it's so fcuking perfect here. they're the reason that nothing ever gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

You don't have to leave to hear irish people moaning about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

In fairness they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What I find worse is Irish people moving abroad and constantly whinging about where they've moved to and the locals.

Ffs. :rolleyes:

I find this a classic myself, sitting in a foreign country hating the place but doing nothing to remedy the situation, I like to think of them as weak gutted fools who don't want to go home incase they look stupid, but that is exactly what they are, Stupid...

Or the ones who stay in a country for the money but despise where they are, putting a price tag on happiness, idiots as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

daveyeh wrote: »
    I'm sick of reading online comments from Irish people who have moved abroad and just moan about Ireland.

"It's a ****hole"
    "I hate that place"
    "Thank god I left that miserable dump"
    etc.
    etc.

You didn't like living here, so you pissed off to start a new life. So, shut the **** up and get on with enjoying your new life you miserable arsehole.

Rant over.

:)

It's only when you leave Ireland you realise what a dump it is and how badly you've been let down all your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't get the logic some people seem to have here: If you leave Ireland, you can't bitch about it and you can't bitch about the new place either. :confused: WTF??? Is this a dictatorship? Since when can't we complain?

Granted, I'm aware there are some Irish people who seem to spend all their time bitching about Ireland, but I've also met some Americans who bitch about America all the time and Spaniards who bitch about Spain all the time. It's those particular people that are the problem. They'll bitch about anything and everything.

I'd be similar to a previous poster, I don't bitch about Ireland but if you ask me why I left and don't want to return, I'll tell you why.

I don't hate Ireland, there's plenty I love about it, but I hated living there. At the same time, I love living in Spain and I feel like I fit in better here than I ever did back home.

Spain is far from perfect and I do bitch about stuff here but no place is perfect and I still prefer living here than back home.

It's great that there are some people who love living in Ireland, that's fine for you, but there are people who don't like living in Ireland and we should be allowed to explain why but when we do, it seems like people respond with a load of "Ireland's the best country ever", there's no discussion about the reasons. It's just dismissed.

FWIW, I used to live in the Czech Republic. I didn't like it and left after a year. A bit later, I was talking to one of my friends from there and she asked if I'd ever go back. I said no and explained why. Her reaction was identical to some of those here. She couldn't understand that I didn't like the Czech Republic but she refused to discuss or acknowledge my gripes with the place.

I would guess that this mindset of believing your country is perfect and not being able to understand or acknowledge that some people might not like it is tied to an inferiority complex, as I've only encountered it in Irish or Czech people.

I will point out one thing that strikes me as a strictly Irish thing: I'm sick of people asking me when I'm coming back and when I tell them I don't intend to, I get told I'll grow out of it. Again, no discussion of why or no attempt to even convince me that I should do it, I just get told I'll grow out of it.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever go back to living in Ireland but it's not something I plan on. However, whenever I say this, I'm met with "You'll be back" as if they know my life better than I do. It's a horribly patronising and insulting trait and that is something that only Irish people have ever said to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was told one day by a Polish fella I worked with that this was a useless country, that pisses me off a lot more than the Irish who have moved somewhere else complaining because at least I can't hear them complaining.

It's great that there are some people who love living in Ireland, that's fine for you, but there are people who don't like living in Ireland and we should be allowed to explain why but when we do, it seems like people respond with a load of "Ireland's the best country ever", there's no discussion about the reasons. It's just dismissed.

I think it's how it's usually done though. I see a lot of "I love it! Best fooking place on the planet!" or "I hate it. It's an awful **** hole!" and I think people react to that.

I do agree, though, that some people can be a little tetchy with those who criticise aspects of it even in a reasonable fashion. Tbh though, I don't think many nationalities are open to hearing criticism about their country and I've never come across a nationality that doesn't get defensive (you live in Spain - me too - they really take don't any kind of criticism well from an outsider at all). I think many Irish see us emigrants as outsiders and exempt from having any say in the country because we emigrated. I've seen comments even on here how we're traitors and abandoned the country when things got rough (I left when things were never better). The fact that we can't even vote in local elections speaks volumes; we're one of the few countries where this is the case.

I'd a funny conversation over the Summer while I was on me holiers. Got talking to a man from Northern Africa who'd emigrated to France and had been there for years. He was asking me questions about Ireland and I was yapping away goodio believing I knew it all and he stopped me and said, "how would you know, though? You moved away 10 years ago" and the comment caught me off guard completely tbh. He didn't mean it in a spiteful way, just pointing out that times, they are-a-changin' and Ireland has no doubt changed a huge amount since I left in 2004. He said he found the same thing applied in his case as well; the country he'd left 25 years previously had moved on but not in his head.

Not sure what my point is. I suppose I'm less inclined to comment on Ireland at all now as I don't think I know the country very well anymore. Strange feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The fact that in nearly every job I have had I have worked with a lot of other Europeans means I do think for all its faults Ireland can't be that bad, today the Spanish guy was joking about the idea of trying to work over there in our sector. If Ireland genuinely was the repressive ****-hole that some people talk about we just wouldn't have the long term immigration we have where people are here for 5+ years and building a life and raising kids.
    I do get a bit bitter about people who are away and bitch about here, but I think thats more a response from me (half my friends have left, and I miss having them around, ironically I may be gone myself soon), but its also a bit depressing when you go a bit deeper people say they no they have no place for them back here.
    I think there is a psychological baggage attached to migration in Ireland that may not be quiet so present in other countries we have generation after generation that where so many people have left , AFAIK unique in that we now have a lower population than we did in 1840, I think the attitude of "fcuk off you've left" is sort of understandable its even built into our national mythology with the Wild Geese, if you want the place to change stay and make it better, I know that sounds very harsh but its understandable if you think about how many people have left and never returned over the years.
    Still its produced some great sad songs :)

I do get a bit bitter about people who are away and bitch about here, but I think thats more a response from me (half my friends have left, and I miss having them around, ironically I may be gone myself soon), but its also a bit depressing when you go a bit deeper people say they no they have no place for them back here.

I missed this bit before I went off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You find people who live abroad and complain about Ireland to their Irish friends but are full of praise for the place and how back home is better to the natives.

TBH I don't see why Irish people who have moved to another country should get to vote in Elections that are held here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

TBH I don't see why Irish people who have moved to another country should get to vote in Elections that are held here.

Err we don't..;)

NSAman wrote: »
    Err we don't..;)

I'm aware of that, but I've seen it suggested from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I dont miss Ireland. I miss Kerry.

Advertisement