Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which house to choose?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I need advice.

I've looked at two houses recently. Both are priced the same with the auctioneers saying about 5k below asking is the only realistic reduction. Both are 3 bed semis built in the 60's. Both need insulation done and modernisation.

House 1 needs a garage conversion and new kitchen put in as the way it is at the moment is awful. Gas is installed and a newish boiler. Then the usual cosmetic work. Bathroom needs ripping out and replacing. This house is located in a huge estate towards the back of the estate.

House 2 doesn't need the garage converted as yet as it is separate to the house. It does need gas installed but the radiators are fine. Oil boiler is on the way out but can wait until next winter. It's in a slightly better area and slightly bigger. It needs a kitchen but can wait. Same can be said for the bathroom. This house would be easier to get to the motorway for work for me and has a better local shop. The bus stop is a 3 minute walk but as I don't get the bus it wouldn't matter hugely to me. This house is also in a huge estate but in a cul de sac situated 100 metres from the main road to city or motorway.

Which house sounds better to you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Assuming the same price, B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Even writing it out made it clearer to me.. I think I'd have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

One more vote for house b. It seems to have more to offer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You waxed lyrical about house b, so I'm guessing your head is leaning that way. But why would you even be considering house a if you didn't have concerns over house b?

You waxed lyrical about house b, so I'm guessing your head is leaning that way. But why would you even be considering house a if you didn't have concerns over house b?

I looked at house A 1st with my girlfriend but looked at B by myself so was a bit head fried.. Looking into house A's next door neighbours and their immaculate gardens and well kept house filled me with confidence. House B has a less than house proud, judging by the garden alone, householder. It has spooked me slightly enough not to drop house A from my thoughts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Rented a room in a house that was down at the back of an estate before. I felt it took half the journey to walk/drive to top of estate to get going anywhere, even the local shop. I always swore if I was ever buying, I'd try keep nearer the road for that reason.

Rented a room in a house that was down at the back of an estate before. I felt it took half the journey to walk/drive to top of estate to get going anywhere, even the local shop. I always swore if I was ever buying, I'd try keep nearer the road for that reason.

I did the same too and I wouldn't say it annoyed me hugely at the time but looking back now it is influencing my decision. I had this conversation with the girlfriend and she was saying don't be so silly, it makes no difference. She made me doubt my preference hence why I started this thread. She was also of the opinion that I may not need to be near the motorway in a year or two which is quite possible due to redeployment in my job. But irregardless house b would be less affected by traffic congestion no matter what my direction in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think House A would be less work to put right, installing a new boiler system is a big deal.
    However, House B sounds like a better all round package and so gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's nice to live in a cul de sac. Safer for kids, and sometimes a bit more sociable.

Putting an offer on house b tomorrow. Had a good chat with knowledgeable friend over a sociable 1 or 2 who knows the areas at play and house b, as I always knew deep down, has the edge. Thanks for the replies folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Location, location, location.

I hate having the garage attached to the house, always have the feeling there are fumes inside. I know this may not be rational, but it's the sense I have.

Put a bid on house b on Friday.. And bought a microwave, Hoover, toaster and kettle today. There's a half price sale in currys on kitchen stuff!

Advertisement