Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on buying a house

Options
  • 23-10-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

we have been looking to buy a house for the past year. A house came on the market a few months ago. We liked it and there was nothing else really in the area that we liked. So we bidded on it and put the price up on our bid as the person selling it wanted more. We put about 8 grand more on it with the hope of borrowing that from our parents. We are due to pay the deposit to the estate agent next week however that same estate agent has advertised a new house today on the market and we really want to view it.

So my question is, will the estate agent think we are wasting his time if we ask him to view this second house? We think we would like this house more so we really need to ask to view it but we are unsure how to ask and whether he will just disregard us in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

You haven't signed anything or handed over any money so you're free to look at any houses you want. Just call the EA and say you want to keep your options open and as it's the biggest purchase of your life you want to make the right decision for you. Honesty is the best policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

Thanks for your response. I definitely think honesty is the best policy. I think it's because the second house is with same estate agent and we already have a sale agreed on the first house that we feel bad over it. but yea, no money or contracts have been signed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just to add don't feel one bit bad, I know it's easier said than done but you aren't the first and won't be the last people to change your mind. Think of it in comparison to a pair of shoes- you buy one pair, next day you see another pair you prefer so you exchange them. Shop doesn't care once they get paid, same as that EA since both properties are with them so they win either way. However, a house is a MUCH bigger investment than a pair of shoes you think nothing of changing your mind about, therefore, think long and hard and don't settle because you don't want to make the EA question your genuineness. You have to think practically about what you want rather than the emotional aspect of letting someone down. Hopefully that all makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

Thank you so much for your advice - I really appreciate it and it really helped so thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭spin777

If your worried about the EA questioning if you are genuine then write a cheque for the deposit on house 1, walk into the estate agent, show him the cheque, tell him your ready to pay the deposit but would like to see house 2 first. Give him the cheque if your not happy with house 2 or make an offer on house 2. Is house 2 cheaper, nicer or in a better location in the estate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Do not write any checks for gods sake.
    View what you want, when you want. Do not worry about feelings, no one will worry about yours. Best of luck with it.

bidiots wrote: »
    Do not write any checks for gods sake.
    View what you want, when you want. Do not worry about feelings, no one will worry about yours. Best of luck with it.

It's a sellers market, if you don't show your genuine after sale agreeing another house then I'd tell ya to sod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Oh, sorry. Here's my wallet.

bidiots wrote: »
    Oh, sorry. Here's my wallet.

Re-read my comment. I never said anything about handing over money.

Advertisement