Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house tomorrow for the first time. Need advice!

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

After long searches I've decided for a new house to move in. The area is not bad while the house has two bedrooms (1 double and 1 single) for which I will pay 1300 quids monthly. Most probably tomorrow I will sign the contract and will have to drop a ln initial deposit of 400 euros. Any advice about what should I focus when reading the contract? Also I found it quite strange that one of the steps in order to get the house was to provide a reference from work but it's probably me being nervous about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Get a receipt for the deposit if it's not explicitly mentioned in the lease.
    At least you intend to read the lease, many don't it seems. If there is something in it you don't understand or would like to change or clarify, bring it up.
    Make sure there's an inventory of the property contents and condition thereof and agree this with the landlord/agent. Take pictures of everything!
    Work reference is normal - they just want evidence that you have regular income, they don't care how good you are at your job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

turn on all the cooker rings and grill and oven as well as washing machine, dryer if supplied and any other appliances supplied to make sure they are working, finish off by checking heating and water supply. Then start on the lights and checking the doors all open and close and back and front doors are secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

All great suggestions. Speak to the letting agent / landlord and ask then if there can be a grace period where you can add notes to the inventory. E.G. 48 hours. So if you see things that are not on the inventory you can add them and photograph them. Then take it to the EA/LL and both initial the amended inventory or simply email them to let them know it happened before you moved in and then you cant be held responsible when you move out.

For example I found a corner of carpet which had been scratched (Probably by a pet) and a glass panel had been broken in the oven.

The inventory is great but you will almost certainly see things by living there that the EA/LL wouldn't see when they do an inspection. If it deteriorates while you are there they might notice it when you move out and hold you responsible.

take lots of photos like the others said and be prepared to put the place back to the way you found it. So if you put up pictures/drill holes for a TV you will need to fill the holes and paint over them.

If you are not familiar with house maintenance and DIY then google is your friend. You will almost certainly find things wrong with the house and most will be quick fixes if you know what you're doing. You don't want to badger the LL with small problems that you should be able to fix yourself but you also don't want to let problems fester. So give it an honest go to fix things but dont take on any jobs that you don't think you can complete or at least put back together if you get stuck. If in doubt call the LL.

Something I have found in every house I have ever rented is the washing machine stinks. If it is unused for a few weeks, bacteria grows inside the machine so you might need to run the machine on hot wash with a cup of bleach instead of detergent. Take out the detergent drawer, soak it and remove any build-up from the drawer

Report anything that might cause structural damage to the house for example leaking pipes or gutters. The house is an investment to the LL and water damage can be extremely costly over time. If they are worth their salt they will thank you for looking after their investment.

Best of Luck in ther new house OP

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Mould/damp is a big problem in alot places due to our weather it can be controled ok proper airing etc but keep a eye out and soon as spot any issue deal with it.
    Might take while for it show up.
    GL in new home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Colin G.

Thank you for the ideas and support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    turn on all the cooker rings and grill and oven as well as washing machine, dryer if supplied and any other appliances supplied to make sure they are working, finish off by checking heating and water supply. Then start on the lights and checking the doors all open and close and back and front doors are secure.

check that there are no blockages from sink/washand basin and bath. Also that none of the bulbs slicker as some posters on another thread think this is down to the landlord :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Take photos of every single room/item thing in the place.

Advertisement