Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with letting agency, please help

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi folks
    i really count on your advise as Im stuck now in dead point.Situation is that we have rented a house 1 month ago and despite first good impression it appeared that there are some technical issues. I was contacting letting agency on number of occasion but without a positive result that means nothing has been done.These problems are quite major to include radiators not working downstairs (upstairs its ok but I have a small child so its cold for her in the morning) sink is completely blocked so waste water is simply dripping out of it for 1-2 hours, moreover washing machine exit pipe is connected with sink so when I wash my clothes I have sink full of waste water! there is a problem with light in the kitchen so only 1 bulb is working. I pay very high rent and dont even think to repair it on my own, this is landlord/agency responsibility to the house in proper order. I dint have any issues with private landlords for 8 years, now I rent through agency and I dont know how to force them to do reparations. Any idea where to start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Send them an email with a list of all the issues and details of when and how often you have contacted them already, ask them to resolve the more serious issues within a week and the other issues within a reasonable 2-3 weeks, and copy that email to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When you say you don't intend to repair it on your own, what exactly do you mean? Specifically, have you bled the radiators and made sure the valves are open, changed the bulbs in the kitchen and plunged the sink?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

When you say you don't intend to repair it on your own, what exactly do you mean? Specifically, have you bled the radiators and made sure the valves are open, changed the bulbs in the kitchen and plunged the sink?
    yes, all of that ive done on my own but no result.radiators still cold,there is no pressure on boliler while it should be 1-1.5 so I think you need to play with valves? As for the light its flashing and only 1 working out of 3:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

These problems might be resolvable by yourself.
    Radiators: is it just an air trap? Have you tried bleeding the radiators? Do you know someone who knows how to do this if you've never done it before?
    Blocked sink: Tried a plunger? Sink unblocking liquid? Opened the U-bend?
    Lights: have you tried swapping the bulbs to check if it is in fact a problem with the fitting or just that replacement bulbs are needed? Unless they are very exotic, new bulbs are generally regarded as the tenant's expense.

Maybe there are in fact more serious causes for these problems that your agent needs to address, I just can't tell from where I'm sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Ah, our posts crossed.
    faral wrote: »
    As for the light its flashing and only 1 working out of 3:)
    if these are old style fluorescent tube lights, they may just need a new starter motor. Costs a couple of euros and easy to change.

• Advertisement

xper wrote: »
    These problems might be resolvable by yourself.
    Radiators: is it just an air trap? Have you tried bleeding the radiators? Do you know someone who knows how to do this if you've never done it before?
    Blocked sink: Tried a plunger? Sink unblocking liquid? Opened the U-bend?
    Lights: have you tried swapping the bulbs to check if it is in fact a problem with the fitting or just that replacement bulbs are needed? Unless they are very exotic, new bulbs are generally regarded as the tenant's expense.

Maybe there are in fact more serious causes for these problems that your agent needs to address, I just can't tell from where I'm sitting.
    bleeding radiators done,
    sink-ive tried plunger and wire and acid, even Ive dismanteled u bend (it was clean inside) but it looks like I have to go deeper
    changing bulbs was a first job iv done
    so long story short I was contacting agent few times since I moved in, even he was last week in the house but no answer:(

faral wrote: »
    yes, all of that ive done on my own but no result.radiators still cold,there is no pressure on boliler while it should be 1-1.5 so I think you need to play with valves? As for the light its flashing and only 1 working out of 3:)

Yeah try googling the manual for your bolier. Same thing happened when I moved last month. Googled it and fiddled with the valves underneath and figured out which ones pumped water in. It might be one alone or it might be 2together.

As for the sink and light, have you googled the problems? Checked the U-Bend and all the normal things? If you have then you can send an email explaining that you have tried but you are not an expert plumber or electrician so you can either try it yourself which could cause damage to the house or to yourself, or you can call an expert and deduct the bill from the rent if they dont deal with it within a week (keep the reciepts).

First you need to try all the normal home upkeep techniques or else they will just think you're just spitting your dummy out. In my experience the (Land) Lord helps those who helps themselves.

thanks guys fior replies,tomorrow I will look online for manual for my boiler and see what else I can do. As for sink I think ive done what I could and now this is a job for professional plumber,same for light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't be fiddling about with the boiler. If anything happens to it, you'll be held responsible.

I'd be round at the letting agent in person, first thing. And I wouldn't budge until they did something about the boiler and sink at the vey least. That's a Health and Safety issue right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Crikey. non of these issues are the responsibility of the tenant. You've done what you could to resolve without bothering the landlord.
    Now, send an email to them, copy the PTRB.
    If they don't resolve this within the allowed legal time frame, you have every right to hire a company(ies) and withhold the costs from the rent if LL refuses to re-imburse..

PRTB:

Your obligations as a landlord
    By law, a landlord cannot refuse to rent property to any
    prospective tenant because of their gender, marital status,
    family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or
    membership of the Travelling community.
    You must:
    • Registration can be done online at www.prtb.ie or
    • Provide your tenant with a rent book (if no written lease is
    in place) and receipts of payments.
    • Make sure that your property is in good condition.
    • Maintain the property to the standard it was at the start of
    the tenancy.
    • Reimburse the tenants for any repairs carried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Blocked sink and bulbs are tenants issues. Boiler / rads is landlords

Blocked sink and bulbs are tenants issues. Boiler / rads is landlords

bulbs yes. Not the bulbs thats the issue according to the tenant though.
    Blocked sink? to a degree. He's only there one month and this was already there at start of the lease.Which makes it the landlords issue.

doubter wrote: »
    bulbs yes. Not the bulbs thats the issue according to the tenant though.
    Blocked sink? to a degree. He's only there one month and this was already there at start of the lease.Which makes it the landlords issue.

Never heard of just certain Bulbs are landlords issue ...
    Tenant moves in signs lease that everything is fine, thats it. Radiators need to be sorted by landlord.

Tenant moves in signs lease that everything is fine, thats it. Radiators need to be sorted by landlord.

He said he changed the bulbs and only one light works and it flashes IIRC. Thats an elecrical fault and I wouldn't go fiddling around with that kind of thing unless I was trained so that makes it a landlord issue.

Personally I think I could find the water pressure valve on a boiler so I would at least try but if I wasn't confident, then I would deem it a landlord issue.

If the OP made an effort to unblock the sink with plunger and drain unblocker product and checked the U-Bend then it is probably a bigger problem and is a landlord issue.

do. It's not the bulbs thats the problem is the electrical.

doubter wrote: »
    do. It's not the bulbs thats the problem is the electrical.

Bulb singular is flashing. If its a florscent bulb might be the starter.

not an electrician. neither is he and he's not obliged to go beyond changing the bulbs.

check that there are no blockages from sink/washand basin and bath. Also that none of the bulbs slicker as some posters on another thread think this is down to the landlord :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Mocking a post when you have failed to understand that post is not an endearing quality. Read the thread. And if you want to discuss another thread, do it on that thread.

hi guys
    little feedback on what has happened today. So i rang agent, I was very angry but didnt lost my composture. Ive explained that Im not happy with what is going on in my house, I asked if he checked state of house before putting it on market as so on. He was sorry and said everything was working fine. Than I replied that it wasnt and since week forst we experience some kind of different problems.Anyway he said he sent an email to handyman and someone will contact me but eventually they gave me guys' number and I rang on my own. He will pop in tomorrow to sort out rads and sink. So far so good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is the letting agent sending a handyman or a plumber? And is he sending a gas fitter to check the boiler??

• Advertisement

Is the letting agent sending a handyman or a plumber? And is he sending a gas fitter to check the boiler??
    They said "guy will look after rads and sink" so I presume he is a handyman/plumber rather that gas installer (at the end boiler is working fine, I have heating upstairs)

Advertisement