Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poodle puking yellow bile

• 23-10-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me.

I have a 6 y/o miniture Poodle and for the past day or 2 she has been getting sick. I'd feed her in the morning, let her out in the garden for about 20ish mins then I'd go off to college for the day. When I arrive back she may have gotten sick either once, twice or even three times. For the past hour shes been just puking up bile, about 3 or 4 times now.

I read online there it may be hunger so I gave her some food but she hasnt eaten it. Shes been drinking a little bit though but I don't think its helping.

Any advice on what to do would he great!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you not brought her to the vets?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

andreac wrote: »
    Have you not brought her to the vets?

Well thats a reason for the post, should I? Do you reckon its serious?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ianofitz wrote: »
    Well thats a reason for the post, should I? Do you reckon its serious?

Yes, dogs puking up anything like that is serious enough for the vet, her not eating as well is also a bad sign.

Is she drinking?

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes, dogs puking up anything like that is serious enough for the vet, her not eating as well is also a bad sign.

Is she drinking?

Yes shes drinking away fine. She is eating usually. As in, I fed her this morning and she was fine but I gave her about half a fist of nuts there and she hasnt touched it. But yes shes drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is she due in season? When was her last season? If a dog is off form for more than a day or so then I would be bringing them to the vet for a check up.

If she's still getting sick after 2 days then yes she should be brought to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My dog does that from time to time. Give he dog a little chicken or boiled fish and boiled rice to settle the tums, and see how she goes.

My dog does that from time to time. Give he dog a little chicken or boiled fish and boiled rice to settle the tums, and see how she goes.

Brilliant! Thanks ABajaninCork!

I'm put walking her now and she seems upbeat so it might have been that she needed to get out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

When shes out in the garden for the 20 mins, is she eating anything out there that she shouldnt?? Shes IN the house when you are at college yes? Not outside all day? Does she eat a lot of grass?

Sometimes my dogs puke up yellow/greenish bile too - and agree that something mild like boiled chicken/rice or scrambled eggs would help settle her tum. As long as shes eating/drinking I wouldnt be over concerned, but as someone said earlier, anything that goes on for a while, and especially if dog is off food/drink would warrant a vet checkup

aonb wrote: »
    When shes out in the garden for the 20 mins, is she eating anything out there that she shouldnt?? Shes IN the house when you are at college yes? Not outside all day? Does she eat a lot of grass?

Sometimes my dogs puke up yellow/greenish bile too - and agree that something mild like boiled chicken/rice or scrambled eggs would help settle her tum. As long as shes eating/drinking I wouldnt be over concerned, but as someone said earlier, anything that goes on for a while, and especially if dog is off food/drink would warrant a vet checkup

Cool thanks for that Aonb. Yes, when I'm out she is inside. No, usually she is in eye soght when she is in the garden and just goes for a wander and/or goes to the toilet.

Should I feed her the chicken and rice/scrambeled eggs instead of her normal food or both? At the moment she is eating in the morning as usual and drinking as normal.

thanks foe the help guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

I've got a male yorkie and he vomits if he eats anything other than the nuts I feed him! would be worried if it went on for few days tho.. let her eat some grass but if she vomited again tomorrow I would def be calling the vet. hope your little dog gets well soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If she is happy out walking, and eating/drinking normally and alert, I wouldnt worry too much.

If you are going to feed her to give her tummy a rest, I would feed only the scrambled egg or only the chicken/rice for a couple of days. I would leave her off the dry kibble while you are feeding the 'gentle' food.

aonb wrote: »
    If she is happy out walking, and eating/drinking normally and alert, I wouldnt worry too much.

If you are going to feed her to give her tummy a rest, I would feed only the scrambled egg or only the chicken/rice for a couple of days. I would leave her off the dry kibble while you are feeding the 'gentle' food.

Thanks very much Aonb! Hugely appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

ianofitz wrote: »
    Thanks very much Aonb! Hugely appreciate it!

Hey ianofitz... how often are you feeding her? From your first post, it's just in the morning - and after college? What times are those?

Just a thought... Is her belly empty for too long throughout the day, and that's causing bouts of vomiting bile?

I've had it with both our dogs from time to time. I've always fed boiled chicken and brown rice when helping them through a tummy upset.

Regarding the nuts, can I ask what are you feeding? Do you supplement with natural yoghurt (for probiotics or fish oils or others)?

So long as this dog is drinking water and toilet activities (especially poop) is normal, I personally wouldn't be worrying. Blood in the bile or lethargy would however be a deffo trip to the vet.

Hooked wrote: »
    Hey ianofitz... how often are you feeding her? From your first post, it's just in the morning - and after college? What times are those?

Just a thought... Is her belly empty for too long throughout the day, and that's causing bouts of vomiting bile?

I've had it with both our dogs from time to time. I've always fed boiled chicken and brown rice when helping them through a tummy upset.

Regarding the nuts, can I ask what are you feeding? Do you supplement with natural yoghurt (for probiotics or fish oils or others)?

So long as this dog is drinking water and toilet activities (especially poop) is normal, I personally wouldn't be worrying. Blood in the bile or lethargy would however be a deffo trip to the vet.

Hey Hooked,

Thanks for that. I don't know if she it was because she was hungry because shes now 6 and we've always only fed her in the morning and shes fine. I only fed her yesterday evening to see if she would eat it. Usually its just the morning.

I woke up this morning and she had done diarrhea on the kitchen floor. So I brought her to the vet and she is now on tins of chicken and rice for the next 2 days. He gave her an injection to stop her getting sick and I have to give her a tablet twice a day. Hopefully she'll be back to normal now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

She'll be on the mend in no time op :)
    This situation acts as a cautionary tale.
    It is important for people reading this and similar threads in future that whilst an empty tummy does indeed often cause the dog to vomit up bile, often eating grass just beforehand, when such dogs subsequently refuse food as the op's did, it generally means it's something more serious.
    Dogs who puke because their tummy is empty will generally devour any food offered to them shortly after puking.
    OP, I'd suggest regardless that you feed your poodle twice a day from now on, it's better for their general wellbeing. This coming from me who feeds her dogs three times a day :o

Advertisement