Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few questions

• 23-10-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just want to clarify some things before my test tomorrow.

What mirrors do you check for roundabouts ? (is it right mirror only on entering and left mirror only on exit ?)

Does the 12 o' clock rule work for all roundabouts / any exceptions ?

Also, for the reversing around the corner part, once you're pulled in, do you need to indicate whilst reversing ?

Will you be asked to reverse into a car park space ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 work2013

Failed test today unfortunately. Mainly observation errors. Grade 3 for not checking my rear window when reversing around corner (btw you don't need to indicate around corner).
    Also two grade 2s for turning left/right too early and not making sure the way was clear.

Got a few questions on signs wrong at the start. Didn't expect dual carriageway/motorway signs for example to show up.
    Never assume you've failed the test. I thought I failed at the start for stopping in a yellow box but he didn't even fault me for that.

Does anyone know where I can get the list of signs they ask for at the start ? I think its a specific set as opposed to all the signs from the theory test.

Also he asked about zebra crossings. I said its where pedestrians cross and you stop for any pedestrian already on the crossing.
    I think he was looking for something more, because he then said, do the black/white lines have a meaning in themselves ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

work2013 wrote: »
    Failed test today unfortunately. Mainly observation errors. Grade 3 for not checking my rear window when reversing around corner (btw you don't need to indicate around corner).
    Also two grade 2s for turning left/right too early and not making sure the way was clear.

Got a few questions on signs wrong at the start. Didn't expect dual carriageway/motorway signs for example to show up.
    Never assume you've failed the test. I thought I failed at the start for stopping in a yellow box but he didn't even fault me for that.

Does anyone know where I can get the list of signs they ask for at the start ? I think its a specific set as opposed to all the signs from the theory test.

Also he asked about zebra crossings. I said its where pedestrians cross and you stop for any pedestrian already on the crossing.
    I think he was looking for something more, because he then said, do the black/white lines have a meaning in themselves ?

Thanks for providing your feedback. I am sure it will assist someone currently getting ready for their own test.
    I've 2 different books here on driving; rules; regulations; signage; helpful advice etc.
    You can watch the RSA linkie below on the Road Signs, concise helpful video.
    You can also study the pdf (similar to one of the books I have) right here.

Hope that helps,
    Best of Luck in your preparations for your next & Hope that goes better for you :)
    kerry4sam

Thanks for that !

For anyone interested. That video covers all the possible signs that can come up IIRC.

Know how to operate your rear foglights (on my car, you pull out your headlights selector) and rear window heater (should be near other settings).

Are you supposed to keep the car moving when doing the reverse around the corner ?

I remember my instructor telling me during my test to "keep moving whether or not it is safe to do so "?
    This threw me a little as my personal instructor had told me that you should stop about half way through the turn just to observe everything around you... then continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

work2013 wrote: »
    Are you supposed to keep the car moving when doing the reverse around the corner ?

I remember my instructor telling me during my test to "keep moving whether or not it is safe to do so "?
    This threw me a little as my personal instructor had told me that you should stop about half way through the turn just to observe everything around you... then continue.

You can stop no problem. You're actually required to stop if you see a car moving anywhere around you, if you don't you'll be marked.

• Advertisement

That sounds right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Keep it moving (walking pace is good) and keep good observations. If you see anything near you moving, aka a approaching car or someone crossing the road you stop. I was also taught just before you start the turn, you stop and do a quick shoulder check as your car will start to swing out into the road

Advertisement