Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade scope

Options
  • 23-10-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi. I'm looking to upgrade scope on my tikka t3 223. I have a Burris 6.5x-20x-50mm. It is mostly for foxes at night I need it but can do a bit of daytime shooting. I don't mind spending a few bob on it but would like a bit of advice no a good scope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

swaroski,zeiss,smidt and bender, leupold spelling mighten be great but there probably the best that out there on the market but if u don't mind spending a few bob these are the makes to look at in my opinion just depends on what u have to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jim3592

They are the makes that keep popping up. What power would be best for both day and night shooting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sightron too.

The S-Tac in 2.5-17.5. Gives a huge range of mag for both low light and log distance shooting. Has an illuminated reticle, target turrets, large objective lens, etc. At around €900 it's not cheap, but is far cheaper than anything comparative in other brands like S&B, Zeiss, etc. All of which don't have all the features of the Sightron and cost between 2 to 3 times as much. All for about 3-5% more light transmission.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Never came across sightron. Is it worth paying a few bob extra for expensive brands or is €1000 mark considered a good scope

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Go as high as your budget allows. If this includes scopes in the €2,000 - €2,700 mark then the sky is the limit.

If not then set a budget and shop around for the best within that budget. For example:
    • Hawke Sidewinder 30 for €400
    • Sightron for €600 - €900
    • Bushnell Elite 6500 for approx €750
    • Zeiss Duralyt for €750 & €900
    • Schmidt & Bender for €800 - €2600
    • Zeiss Victory for €1400 - €1800
    • Kahles for €1000 - €2300
    • Swarovski for €1200 - €2800

So even within the same brand you can spend between €800 up to €2,600 depending on features the particular model you like offers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Go as high as your budget allows. If this includes scopes in the €2,000 - €2,700 mark then the sky is the limit.

If not then set a budget and shop around for the best within that budget. For example:
    • Hawke Sidewinder 30 for €400
    • Sightron for €600 - €900
    • Bushnell Elite 6500 for approx €750
    • Zeiss Duralyt for €750 & €900
    • Schmidt & Bender for €800 - €2600
    • Zeiss Victory for €1400 - €1800
    • Kahles for €1000 - €2300
    • Swarovski for €1200 - €2800

So even within the same brand you can spend between €800 up to €2,600 depending on features the particular model you like offers.

I was thinking of a Swarovski with illuminated reticle but not sure what mag and what is good for shooting wit lamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Jim3592 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking to upgrade scope on my tikka t3 223. I have a Burris 6.5x-20x-50mm. It is mostly for foxes at night I need it but can do a bit of daytime shooting. I don't mind spending a few bob on it but would like a bit of advice no a good scope.

Why do you want to upgrade?

If it is just an itch that needs scratching, so be it. However, under a lamp, there's not much more to be had.

True, the high level scopes like March have better glass and coatings. However, their potential is maximized at dusk and dawn. If you were going after deer at dusk or dawn, that would be another story.

If you are looking for an illuminated reticle, have a look at the Night Force line. They have great glass and the most precise and accurate clicks.

Without accurate and precise clicks, all you really have is an expensive monocular.

They can take a beating too. ;)

nf_zps82f2fcf5.jpg

Sightron's are grand. However, personally, I would go for a Night Force. If you can still afford more, skip the Swaros and get a March.

However, 1000 should be enough for lamping. But to be honest, what you have is probably fine as is. Is it a Fullfield II? I shoot them all day long: (1) on a 10/22 in 3-9x40mm, (2) on a 30-06 700 in 3-9x40mm with the Illuminated E1 reticle, and (3) on a 223 700 in 6.5-20mmx50.

Looking in to a Veracity at the moment. However, will probably just get another NF for the heavy hitters.

FISMA wrote: »
    Why do you want to upgrade?

If it is just an itch that needs scratching, so be it. However, under a lamp, there's not much more to be had.

True, the high level scopes like March have better glass and coatings. However, their potential is maximized at dusk and dawn. If you were going after deer at dusk or dawn, that would be another story.

If you are looking for an illuminated reticle, have a look at the Night Force line. They have great glass and the most precise and accurate clicks.

Without accurate and precise clicks, all you really have is an expensive monocular.

A bit of an itch might have something to do with, but I'm not happy with my scope at night. I was thinking a different scope might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I'd go for swarovski or zeiss. They have high light transmission, zeiss has the highest light transmission of all scopes. You could pick yourself up a nice zeiss 4-16x50 victory diavari FL with bullet drop asv compensator and illuminated for about 1500euro. I've the 6-24x72 in that model and under a lamp you will get same light transmission from 6 power all the way out to 20 power before you notice the light transmission starting to fade but you will pay 2600-2800euro for one new depending on spec. I'd go for 4-16x50 in zeiss or same power is swarovski in z6i swarovski. Excellent all rounder with good resale value and they sell quite fast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

These are tactical scopes so bear that in mind but this is a cracking read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭staghunter

I have a burris four X 3x12x56 and can't say a bad word about with iluminated reticle.the guys I stalk with have smihtd and bender and ziess and the difference in light gathering and clarity is tiny .I was surprised my self to be honest I had every intention of changing to one of the makes until we done a comparison one evening until it was dark.and there wasn't enough of a difference for the extra money

I'm not cutting down the Burris but want to know what's out there. The lads on here know their stuff as anyone can see and would rather buy the right scope while I'm at it.

staghunter wrote: »
    I have a burris four X 3x12x56 and can't say a bad word about with iluminated reticle.the guys I stalk with have smihtd and bender and ziess and the difference in light gathering and clarity is tiny .I was surprised my self to be honest I had every intention of changing to one of the makes until we done a comparison one evening until it was dark.and there wasn't enough of a difference for the extra money

Zeiss have the most percise red dot illuminated reticle in the world to date, they have the highest light tramission up to 96%, burris wouldnt be near 90%, my bothers second scope was a burris full field two and field of view was poor, simiar glass to Leupold and glass was above average but have never looked through the burris four X so cant say how it compared to the higher end optics. I will say the duralyt is very clear for its money but when you go into HT models or FL models theres a big difference in clarity, shaper image. Lotec glass, doesnt mist and water roles of the lense. Resale value is very high on them models so if you buy second hand you will get same or similar money back all day long. If you used a HT you can shoot under weak moon light and you wont do so easy with many other optics. The 6-24x72 was built to do the same. You pay for what you get.

I'm not cutting down the Burris but want to know what's out there. The lads on here know their stuff as anyone can see and would rather buy the right scope while I'm at it.
    http://youtu.be/SPY2WrbHa0k thats the 4-16x50 review, dont buy one unless it has ASV and same goes for this one i have http://youtu.be/o2_uVE7eXCM .
    Ive a higher spec one than it, I got the side ASV on it so never have to worry about looseing my windage cap and its a quick way of dialing up your wind values too. Swarovski do I think its a 3-15x56 with BT and its 91% light transmission. Light transmission is the biggest perk to have out stalking. The big guys mostly come out at last light, under a lamp foxing it makes a big difference. I get easy 30mins more of same light a duraly would have when its at its limits in twighlight. Spend your good money wisely, you'll never will have a problem selling a high end scope Jim, you never see the good ones up for sale too often tho hints people hold onto high performance hunting optics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

PM sent to OP

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

They are the makes that keep popping up. What power would be best for both day and night shooting.

ah alot of the guys here have given u some excellent information but if its foxes and rabbits you will be going after id be looking for something with a 50-56mm lense with 5-25 magnification but from looking through most scopes i have come across swaorski and zeiss were probably the best in my eyes for clarity and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Leica magnes 2.4-16x56
    Swro gen2 Z6i 3-18x56
    Or zeiss victory v8.
    S and b pm2 3-27x56.(bit heavy)
    All buy once see scope.

Hi lads.I am looking at a swarovski z6i 3-18x50 P L. Any advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That doesn't have the ballistic turret does it?

I know if it was me and I wanted to make the most of the .223 I'd get the ballistic turret version.

But that's my personal/subjective requirements for a scope. If you'll never be dialling in for medium range varminting shots then you prob don't need the ballistic turret

Very good scope. Nice and light can be got with ballistic turret.

• Advertisement

Very good scope. Nice and light can be got with ballistic turret.

Vegeta wrote: »
    That doesn't have the ballistic turret does it?

I know if it was me and I wanted to make the most of the .223 I'd get the ballistic turret version.

But that's my personal/subjective requirements for a scope. If you'll never be dialling in for medium range varminting shots then you prob don't need the ballistic turret

To be honest i dont think i need turrets.just looking for a good quality glass

Advertisement