Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attachments

Options
  • 24-10-2014 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

I don't really know anything much about I.T

I just found out that any attachment that is ever opened on the PC in work is saved to the PC. My colleague recently went through the PC to clear all the stuff on it and that's when he discovered that this was the case....

Problem is I have definitely opened some pretty personal stuff on this PC via my personal email account such as personal photos (I know, stupid!!) and documents etc.

My question is when he looked at these documents and photos as he was clearing out the PC would there be something on that that would tell who's email they came from and therefore link them back to me? Obviously the content would be one way of knowing who owned them but if the content didn't link to me then would he know who opened them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Ballerina wrote: »
    I don't really know anything much about I.T

I just found out that any attachment that is ever opened on the PC in work is saved to the PC. My colleague recently went through the PC to clear all the stuff on it and that's when he discovered that this was the case....

Problem is I have definitely opened some pretty personal stuff on this PC via my personal email account such as personal photos (I know, stupid!!) and documents etc.

My question is when he looked at these documents and photos as he was clearing out the PC would there be something on that that would tell who's email they came from and therefore link them back to me? Obviously the content would be one way of knowing who owned them but if the content didn't link to me then would he know who opened them?
    Who's been a naughty boy then? Does your workplace have an I.T. policy on personal usage? If it's not a shared pc then it would be quite obvious who the content belongs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

I know. the 2013 me was an idiot!

No its a shared PC between about 3 or 4 people. Its a very small company I don't think there are such policies.

Ugh I hate computers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Ugh I hate computers!!!

Probably not the right forum for that comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Ok do you use the same account to log in. If you have separate accounts then chances are the docs would download My Documents for your account.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I know. the 2013 me was an idiot!

No its a shared PC between about 3 or 4 people. Its a very small company I don't think there are such policies.

Ugh I hate computers!!!
    Probably not the right forum for that comment!

BANNED :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

When you view an attachment, 'Open' it rather than 'Save and open'. That way the file won't be saved on the computer. Google chrome downloads them to the Downloads folder, look in there. I bet you'll find A LOT of stuff there.
    It's always safer to leave accessing personal emails and documents to when you're at home, even for security.

Advertisement