Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying as a Mature Student to Science With Education in Maynooth-Anyone done this?

Options
  • 24-10-2014 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

Hi all!
    First time posting here and getting excited for the next few months (excited and anxious). So I'm applying to the Science with Education course in Maynooth for next year. I just turned 23 and have 2 successful years and 1 failed year (3rd year) in Science in NUI Galway under my belt. Just wondering has anyone here applied and been successful as a mature student for this course? What is it like? If anyone can give me any details on the process (I read the stickied thread above and it was amazing but looking for something more specific about this course) and what the course is like that'd be amazing :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There is a Maynooth page that should answer any and all questions you may have.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619090

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

There is a Maynooth page that should answer any and all questions you may have.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619090
    Yeah I've already read an awesome thread there about the course but I'm definitely curious in finding people who've done this as Mature Students to get their take on the course and their application and thought this would be the right place to post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Maybe give the colleges mature students officer a shout. It's Emer Sheerin and you can contact her here: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/mature-students/contact-us

• Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

What do you want to know? I'm a mature student in Science Ed Maynooth

skype919 wrote: »
    What do you want to know? I'm a mature student in Science Ed Maynooth
    Sweet! Basically like how many other Mature Students are in the course, what the application was like for the course, the interview etc. How you find placement, how you found the course etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

There are 5 of us in 2nd Year currently (orig 4 with 1 transfer). I know that 2 of the lads had to do a proficiency type test to get in, myself and another lad didn't have too (must have been down to our leaving cert results).
    When you get an interview you'll meet the course leader/organiser (Majella) along with another interviewer. Here she'll ask you why you want to be a teacher, if you have any background at all here in working with kids (Youth Clubs, GAA/Soccer teams..etc) make sure to mention something like this. Also it would be best to ask your local school if you could sit in on a class for a day to see if teaching is for you, this can be the local primary school. I didn't do this but it will look very good.
    In 1st year the Maths will be Calculus (Differentiation in 1st Semester & Integration in 2nd Semester) if you've already completed 2 years in NUIG this will prob be alright for you ( i would even ask if you can skip 1st year as the Education we do in 1st year is not graded and therefore no worth anything really)
    The placement really starts in 2nd year, 1 day per week (thurs) in a Secondary School (Junior Cycle) After Christmas you will be expected to teach at least 3 Maths/Science classes every Thurs. If you live far from Maynooth you can ask to be placed in a school close to you. The Placement is handy as the Schools usually aren't that strict and once you get assigned to a teacher they'll basically leave you do what you're comfortable with.
    I really like the course. Everyone really gets on and we meet as a group twice a week. You'll be organised into teams now and again for group work/presentations. My advice would be to stick to the subjects that you enjoy (you'll need to stick with 2 after 1st year) You don't have to do Maths. Don't mind people convincing you that there are more Jobs in a particular subject. There are great supports in Maynooth such as Maths Support Centre and the lecturers are all very approachable.
    If there's anything else just ask, i think i covered most stuff here?

Good Luck!!!!!!

Cheers for that! Really comprehensive! I've worked in homework clubs and did both my work experience slots in TY in schools (one primary, one secondary) to find out if I would like to do it and I really would. Original plan was to get a degree and then the H.Dip. But that seems good.
    Also good to know everyone in the course is nice! That really helps a lot, will mean that I know what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saraghann

Hey guys. Not sure if ye will even see this! I have applied for the same course in Maynooth and have my interview on Thursday. Was just wondering if ye would have any advice for the interview? Thanks :)

Advertisement