Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

OK buying an iPad in the US?

• 24-10-2014 5:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

If I pick up an iPad in the states will it be ok warranty wise here in Ireland?

Thinking about getting a new wifi only iPad air.

Some places say it's grand and others say it's a bad idea to get one abroad and bring it home to Ireland.

Anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You'll only be saving, at most, €25 if you buy it in the States (maybe a little more, maybe a little less, state dependent with taxes) - using the cheapest WiFi Air 2 as an example. You'd be as well buying it in Ireland and being able to bring it back to the shop if anything happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

COYVB wrote: »
    You'll only be saving, at most, €25 if you buy it in the States (maybe a little more, maybe a little less, state dependent with taxes) - using the cheapest WiFi Air 2 as an example. You'd be as well buying it in Ireland and being able to bring it back to the shop if anything happens

My brother in law picked me up one in the US yesterday plus the Apple smart case in total including taxes in cost me $740 which worked out around €570 bought here the same would cost me €688 so I saved over €100 it's worth buying in the US OP. 64GB silver

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

My brother in law picked me up one in the US yesterday plus the Apple smart case in total including taxes in cost me $740 which worked out around €570 bought here the same would cost me €688 so I saved over €100 it's worth buying in the US OP. 64GB silver

The iPad Air 2? First thoughts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The iPad Air 2? First thoughts???

Yes it's the Air2 I won't have it until next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple warranty on IPhone and iPad States they may refer you to territory of purchase. Some have had success getting repairs done in Europe under warranty, others haven't. One poster bought his iPhone in the UK and they forced him to go to Belfast with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

COYVB wrote: »

€587 for a 128gb iPad air 2 compared to €709 here in Ireland. And that's including the American taxes.
    That's a bit more then saving €25!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

I'm nearly positive that once it's a wifi only version you'll be ok with worldwide warranty, it's only anything with gsm/lte that depends on the territory as different country's have different bands, hence the various model numbers for the same configuration of phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You can deffo have warranty trouble for cellular models. I had to get someone going to the U.S. to bring my US bought iphone over for warranty replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to cellular iPads. I think it has something to do with the difference in the cell chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

Probably a bit late now but I had trouble with an iPhone 5 bought in vegas, they wanted me to bring it to Belfast have it diagnosed and then go back a few days later to pick up replacement that they'd have to order in, and if it ever happened again if have to do the same.

I sent an email to Tim cooks address outlining in detail my situation and got a call from executive relations about 2 days later and they got it sorted
    You can deffo have warranty trouble for cellular models. I had to get someone going to the U.S. to bring my US bought iphone over for warranty replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to cellular iPads. I think it has something to do with the difference in the cell chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Bought an ipad2 Wifi version in US for my daughter for school saved over €100 and have had no issues with repairs (she dropped it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

stoksyXL wrote: »
    €587 for a 128gb iPad air 2 compared to €709 here in Ireland. And that's including the American taxes.
    That's a bit more then saving €25!

Current rates place it at €620. Still a nice saving if your over there though.
    Based on 128gb wifi version at $699 + 8% NYC sales tax and then converted using today's rate of €1 = $1.23

Advertisement