Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 10 - "Forest of the Night"

• 24-10-2014 8:46am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bit of a mystery this one, the trailer doesn't really give much away, and doesn't look like it's a standard 'monster of the week' episode. Could be good, bad, who knows. It's the last episode until the final two-parter so I wonder if it'll lead into the finale at all, or instead exist as a purely standalone episode.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

At a guess I'd say that it will be standalone but will bring Danny and The Doctor into some kind of stand off or understanding which will have ramifications in the finale. I guess that it will also introduce a character who could be a potential future companion or people will be brought somewhere in the Tardis, much as other episodes have done.

Regarding these Tardis travellers, I was thinking recently that I don't ever remember so many people travelling in the Tardis in a season of Doctor Who. It seems that every week there is someone along for the ride or being delivered/rescued in it. I wonder will there be some event in the finale to cause all these travellers to be brought together, either by Missy or to help combat Missy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Jesus, we're into the finale two-parter next week. How'd that happen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One episode less than previous seasons of course, but yeah, time flies when you're enjoying a show. Uhm, or not going by some of the more divisive comments :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wow, I am really hating the writing in this episode so far. Characters are all talking like idiots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

What's with the girls hands when she's running?

Never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Kill the children, Doctor. They'll only be sad otherwise".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

This week: Meh.
    Next Week: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Worst episode since "Fear Her"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I liked the premise. But the script was atrocious imo. The dialogue was making everyone out to be idiots, from Clara's "Ah, just let everyone die", the kid's "Ah I've a nut allergy" which went no where, the way they were talking to each other and then the girl just magically appears at the end.

Whoever wrote the episode....it was a disaster imo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm sorry, but what 10 year old child would pass the chance to go to fecking space? I mean seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I did not think it was too bad. It was more the Dr. as a Wizard with the magic wand saving the girl in the red hood in the magical forest. So more for the kids than anything else.

One gripe, it was not trees but "The biggest interdimensional cross rip" that caused the Tunguska Blast of 1909, as per Ghostbusters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I got goosebumps watching trailer for next weeks episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The ending with "Ah they'll all forget anyway" made it kinda feel that the whole episode didn't really serve a point (beyond showing Missy again maybe).
    ixoy wrote: »

Morale of the story: Don't do stories that have tiny things talking through little girls. It'll be bollocks.

Stark wrote: »
    "Kill the children, Doctor. They'll only be sad otherwise".

rofl. Yeah, that was totally wtf.

The ending was pretty obvious as soon as they had the flameproof thing coming in. Hey guys there's a giant solar flare coming and the planet's now covered in flameproof trees. We're fcuked
    :confused:
    The girl at the end magically appearing and standing there grinning was also wtf. What did that have to do with anything. Could she at least not have said something like "hey sorry about that I heard your phonecall and decided to come home" or ... something
    And also is a government really gonna stop chemical thinging trees just because they got phonecalls from a kid?

I DID like that they tried to address "the screwdriver can't fix everything it's not a magic wand" and the "monster" of the day was something the screwdriver couldn't analyse

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I was impressed by one thing, they used real wolves. They almost never do cause they're a complete nightmare to handle. Even tigers are easier. So usually a husky in makeup is dropped in. :D Game of thrones and the like.

The writing was well dodgy though. "Fear her" did come to mind alright. Though Capaldi still hung on to be fair.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes!
    When I saw the wolves in the bushes with the eyes I was a bit, oh they'll use CGI I suppose... then they used real ones. That was cool

The little girl was a very good little actress though I thought. Didn't overdo it like they might at that age. That Ruby wan was edging towards the "a bit much" line

This thing about missy would want to make up for it though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Awful episode in a pretty much average series. Hopefully this storry about Missy and the finale makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Axwell wrote: »
    Awful episode in a pretty much average series. Hopefully this storry about Missy and the finale makes up for it.

It may very well do by the looks of the trailer! As for the episode itself, I personally thought it was pretty good actually. An excellent pro-environmental conservation message too as to why trees are so important.

Really looking forward to the finale now! Lets hope its a great one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The thing that I couldn't ignore through the whole episode was Where was the entire population of London?

And are the fairy things rebuilding the world as well?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The thing that I couldn't ignore through the whole episode was Where was the entire population of London?
    govt told them at the start to stay indoors cos of the firepaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

More Doctor

Less Danny and Clara show

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

IvySlayer wrote: »
    More Doctor

Less Danny and Clara show

Absolutely agree! We need to see more of the doctor, not clara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

More Clara. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well it was always going to be hard to live up to last week's episode and this one really didn't. One of the weaker episodes this series...it really should of been called "Filler of the Night".

The only good thing about it was the trailer for next week. The finale looks awesome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ixoy wrote: »

I found it slightly less "AH COME ON" than Victory of the Daleks. None of the bad moments were quite as bad as disarming a bomb with love...

That's still not saying much. Let a bunch of kids die because a companion says so? Not question the fact she'd let a bunch of kids die when last week you're suspicious when she was doing her best to save everyone and couldn't? Er, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I found it slightly less "AH COME ON" than Victory of the Daleks. None of the bad moments were quite as bad as disarming a bomb with love...

That's still not saying much. Let a bunch of kids die because a companion says so? Not question the fact she'd let a bunch of kids die when last week you're suspicious when she was doing her best to save everyone and couldn't? Er, no.

But the doctor is suspicious of her anyway. She did well he said last week, goodness had nothing to do with it.

I like Clara. She isn't a normal companion though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With her round face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I enjoyed it. This whole series has been very good, miles better than the Smith era, but then again Capaldi can actually act, which always helps. Ten episodes gone already, it has flown by.

Next week looks like a cracker as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Staller episode, something to fill in time before the finaly or slow the pace before the final climax if you prefer.
    It was a good episode, not Flatline good but in it's own right it was good. Shakespeare riffed and about a dozen fairy tails, not to mention don't look now. The ending came a bit soon but wasn't as bad as kill the moon for it's 'just wrap this up now' ness. Liked the story and the kids, liked the way they moved Danny on from scared and hesitant to a born leader without making it some heroic act.
    Didn't like the way this could just as easily have been any show, their was no need for it to be Dr Who at all. any generic lead could have done what little the Dr did here or Clara for that matter. It struck me as though they retrofitted a script onto Dr Who rather than writing a Dr Who script.

First WTF? moment was in the peek at next week. Even allowing for snips being deliberately misleading this one is a puzzle. Clara's a sleeper agent or even worse Missie? Cybermen? I mean cybermen? haven't they been done to death?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

To be fair, I don't think the Cybermen have been done quite to death as much as the Daleks in the revived series.

Advertisement