Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Policy Numbert Different If Purchased Through Broker?

Options
  • 24-10-2014 10:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you purchase your car insurance policy through a broker, is it different to what the actual insurance company would issue you with? I want to renew but dont see the point in handing the €60 over to the broker for nothing, when I visit the site and try and renew it says the policy number is not valid...if this is the case anyone know a way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you want to bypass the broker, the fair and honest way to do it is to contact the company direct and get a quote. If you can't get a better quote, go back and give the broker what he's asking for the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Does anyone know if you purchase your car insurance policy through a broker, is it different to what the actual insurance company would issue you with? I want to renew but dont see the point in handing the €60 over to the broker for nothing, when I visit the site and try and renew it says the policy number is not valid...if this is the case anyone know a way around it?

I noticed on my motor insurance renewal that the policy number is the same but there is a suffix attached to the number to reflect the year e.g. policy number ABC1234567/14 meaning the renewal issued for 2014.

If you have a number like that try putting in a different year and that might pick up the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You won't be able to log onto a direct insurers website with a policy number through a broker as it won't be recognised. completely different distribution channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

peteb2 wrote: »
    You won't be able to log onto a direct insurers website with a policy number through a broker as it won't be recognised. completely different distribution channel!

Sorry, I was thinking of where the policy was direct !!

Advertisement