If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new (stereo) receiver

Options
  • 24-10-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone recommend an excellent stereo receiver ? Currently I have a 2.1 stereo system with a NAD receiver that is getting old.  I could move to 5.1 but I like music.  Please advise... 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Bang & Olufsen is the best you can get! IMHO

Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

do you have a URL ? I am not familiar with the name

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

I can't post URL as I am only a new user . . . Google it . . .

They have a store in Dublin

No problem.  Thanks for the help !

I was looking at Onkyo TX-8050 Stereo Receiver on google but would like to hear of more..

I have two large floor standing speakers and a large sub woofer to power

my old stereo receiver is

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers/C-720BEE-Stereo-Receiver

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Gordon
    Gordon,

it's many many, years since B & O have made a conventional Stereo Receiver - and whilst I'm a fan of many of their products its a little misleading to say that B & O is the best you can get in terms of stereo receivers..

aindriu80 - thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you - its an interesting query and I would be similar to you in that I mainly use my audio kit just for music and not AV purposes - in general you will find that a decent 2:0 system will sound better Euro for Euro than a similar priced 5:1 system - the reasons are of course obvious, less channels of amplification, less crosstalk, no money spent on video processing and of course no money spent on expensive processing licences!

The current downside that there are very few Stereo receiver left! But luckily there are a few :) - if you already have an NAD then the closest to your NAD would probably be the Cambridge Audio SR10 at 249.95 / €319.99 ( Euro price includes shipping) :
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11219-topaz-sr10.aspx?swapstore=1

The SR10 is a pretty stripped back unit but its a real powerhouse with 85Watts RMS into an 8 Ohm load - its by far the closest thing these days to a classic NAD amp - really well constructed, minimal feature count but excellent sound quality.

If you wanted to step up a little Yamaha make an interesting unit called the R-N500 - it looks pretty old school but its bang up to date and includes
    IOS Airplay, Internet Radio, digital inputs ( so you can connect your TV etc) its a little bit pricier than the Cambridge Audio at £399.95 / €519.99 (again € includes delivery) - really super unit:
    http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-n500_g/?mode=model

If you did want to use an AV receiver for stereo - I'd recommend the new Denon AVRX range - the AVRX1100 at £349.95 / €448.99 sounds excellent as does the better featured AVRX2100 ( the 2100 actually sounds amazing on Stereo)
    Check the AVRX range out here: http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/productlanding.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subid=avreceivers

Thanks again @Gordon Minard for the input and Aindriu80 for the post and as ever please don't hesitate to drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew   

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

aindriu80 wrote: »

I was looking at Onkyo TX-8050 Stereo Receiver on google but would like to hear of more..

Yep the 7020 NAD was a classic powerhouse - I think that the Yamaha RN500 would suit and sound not too different in tone but far more detailed - the 8050 Onkyo is also available by special order at £399.95 - I haven't heard it personally but the spec looks good!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Gordon
    ....... and Aindriu80 for the post and as ever please don't hesitate to drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew   
    Thanks very much for your help !! It seems like everything is going to A\V surround and its hard to find a good stereo receiver.  The only thing for me with A\V is that you lose when listening to music and not everything I have is doing surround.

I like the Yamaha R-N500, I don't want anything less that what I have at the moment as I have two big floor standing speakers (JBL studio L Series L880 speakers) to power.  Is the yamaha twice as powerful as the NAD  ?

C 720BEE Stereo Receiver features
    2 x 50W Continuous Power into 8 ohms
    100W, 150W, 180W, IHF Dynamic power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively

Yamaha

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 80W + 80W (0.04% THD)
    Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe) 105 W + 105 W
    Maximum Power(8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD) 115 W + 115 W
    High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 105/ 125/ 150/ 178 W

Yep the 7020 NAD was a classic powerhouse - I think that the Yamaha RN500 would suit and sound not too different in tone but far more detailed - the 8050 Onkyo is also available by special order at £399.95 - I haven't heard it personally but the spec looks good!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi,

The new features that come with the R-N500 are great but can you tell me if it is more powerful than my NAD ? Maybe the Onkyo is not as great as the Yamaha.

I was checking out the R-N500 but a lot of reviews say it is too natural.... Richer sounds has the YAMAHA AS501 which is meant to be more excitement and fun... I don't want anything too dull.

John,

Will you be stocking the [font=Arial, sans-serif]Yamaha A-S701 Integrated Amplifier - Black ?[/font]

I would like to place an order

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

John,

Will you be stocking the [font=Arial, sans-serif]Yamaha A-S701 Integrated Amplifier - Black ?[/font]

I would like to place an order
    HI Aindriu80.

The Yamaha is not twice as powerful as the NAD but is more powerful overall.

The NAD is 50w per channel and the RN500 runs at 80W per channel.

The 701 would be an excellent amplifier to go for as the 501 sounds fantastic.

The AS701 is a new product and stock has yet to hit our warehouse just yet.
    We can take an order and have one shipped direct to you once stock.

The 701 is currently priced at £559.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/search/yamaha%20as701

If you would like to go for one drop me a contact number in a PM and I can give you a shout for some details.

Any questions please let me know.

Hi Kenny !

thanks a million for the post ! It is what I am looking for. 

I see its listed on the .com site but not on the .ie.  I will drop you a PM as ordering one is a bit confusing.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Kenny !

thanks a million for the post ! It is what I am looking for. 

I see its listed on the .com site but not on the .ie.  I will drop you a PM as ordering one is a bit confusing.
    HI Aindriu80.

No problem at all.

I see you had also sent an email to our sales email regarding this product. I'll not reply to the email as we have sorted it on boards :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.