Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty macbook pro (bought in early 2011)

Options
  • 24-10-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum but here goes..... I bought a 17 inch macbook pro in early 2011 and a few months ago it died on me (grey screen of death) I couldn't afford to get it looked at at first but I finally managed to get someone to look at it for me this week. At first he thought it was a hard drive issue so he replaced the hard-drive for me. It turned out it's not the hard drive at all as we're still getting the grey screen of death. He's now saying it's a motherboard issue and after a bit of research discovered that I'm not the only one with this issue... a lot of the early 2011 mac-book pro's have the same issue (motherboard failure) Apple are apparently refusing to take any blame and if you didn't take out apple care they refuse to fix the situation... I feel robbed really... Surely, after forking out 2 grand on a laptop which turns out to be faulty on their part, they would fix the situation free of charge... I simply don't have the 450 euro for repairs... I could get a new laptop for that!! I'm just wondering if there is anyone else that has had the same problem with the early 2011 macbooks and what have you done about it? I'm going to email them but I just wanted to see on here first how many people have the same problem :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,057 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Small claims time; but if you win I'd imagine the residual value decided on by a judge won't be based on the surreal retained value that Apple equipment has - you aren't going to get enough to buy a replacement of the same type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

How sure are you that it is a motherboard problem? Your friend first thought it was a hard drive problem. Now he thinks it is a motherboard problem. I'm not sure i would trust his opinion.

as MYOB said the residual value after 3.5 years use will be very low. You might win in small claims court but you would have to show that it is a motherboard problem and that it is a common problem. which means you would need a professional diagnosis first.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Vickysg24

Beano wrote: »
    How sure are you that it is a motherboard problem? Your friend first thought it was a hard drive problem. Now he thinks it is a motherboard problem. I'm not sure i would trust his opinion.

as MYOB said the residual value after 3.5 years use will be very low. You might win in small claims court but you would have to show that it is a motherboard problem and that it is a common problem. which means you would need a professional diagnosis first.

He isn't a friend he works in apple repairs. If you follow this link it will show you the amount of people that have had the same issue with the 2011 macbook pros. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4936832?start=0&tstart=0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Vickysg24 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum but here goes..... I bought a 17 inch macbook pro in early 2011 and a few months ago it died on me (grey screen of death) I couldn't afford to get it looked at at first but I finally managed to get someone to look at it for me this week. At first he thought it was a hard drive issue so he replaced the hard-drive for me. It turned out it's not the hard drive at all as we're still getting the grey screen of death. He's now saying it's a motherboard issue and after a bit of research discovered that I'm not the only one with this issue... a lot of the early 2011 mac-book pro's have the same issue (motherboard failure) Apple are apparently refusing to take any blame and if you didn't take out apple care they refuse to fix the situation... I feel robbed really... Surely, after forking out 2 grand on a laptop which turns out to be faulty on their part, they would fix the situation free of charge... I simply don't have the 450 euro for repairs... I could get a new laptop for that!! I'm just wondering if there is anyone else that has had the same problem with the early 2011 macbooks and what have you done about it? I'm going to email them but I just wanted to see on here first how many people have the same problem :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Contact Applecare Technical Support and ask to be put through to customer services. They have leeway to approve a repair on goodwill.

Did you follow this knowledge base article?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3676

I would imagine there is an internal version of this article that states additional information

Was it showing any graphical problems before this? It's usually a symptom of the GPU Issue.

Contact Applecare Technical Support and ask to be put through to customer services. They have leeway to approve a repair on goodwill.

Did you follow this knowledge base article?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3676

I would imagine there is an internal version of this article that states additional information

Was it showing any graphical problems before this? It's usually a symptom of the GPU Issue.
    Thanks for that Keith... I will try that when I get the laptop back. A few weeks before the laptop died completely I had a problem where the graphics went all funny so I shut it down and it started back up normally again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thanks for that Keith... I will try that when I get the laptop back. A few weeks before the laptop died completely I had a problem where the graphics went all funny so I shut it down and it started back up normally again.

Was it like this ?

http://action.mbp2011.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

1) Did you buy it from Apple? If you did they are liable under consumer law and will probably fix it. They are quite good about this now.

2) If you didn't, they probably won't do anything for you. It's the retailer that is liable under Irish consumer law not the manufacturer.

Was it like this ?

http://action.mbp2011.com/

Thanks For That Link Keith. Mine is exactly like that. I have signed the petition. Hopefully something will be done about it

1) Did you buy it from Apple? If you did they are liable under consumer law and will probably fix it. They are quite good about this now.

2) If you didn't, they probably won't do anything for you. It's the retailer that is liable under Irish consumer law not the manufacturer.
    I bought it from an official apple store in jersey, channel islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I bought it from an official apple store in jersey, channel islands.

That would be an official Apple retailer - not an Apple store. Totally independent.

Irish consumer law would not apply - neither would EU law apply as Jersey is not in EU.

You would have to approach Apple and hope for a goodwill gesture - but at the same time they do not have to do anything whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

It is better to contact with manufacture of Laptop via business mail. I hope, they will consider on priority to protect their brand value.

Advertisement