Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Newspaper - would you buy??

Options
  • 24-10-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Im just wondering would there be an interest in a gaa newspaper for each county. It would be a weekly newspaper sold in each county so for example in Meath it would have a page dedicated to each club with fixtures/results/events of all sections within the club and then also have a pullout of club fixtures and results from the rest of the counties.
    I have noticed in a few forums where people are looking for results of other county club championships so this way people would have a way of finding out.
    I'm aware that local newspapers carry gaa news but I feel there is a need to give more information to the public rather than snippets, maybe there is some counties that have a gaa dedicated newspaper, if so can people let me know thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I really don't think so, the printed media is going to be completely replaced by online media imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

No.

I barely read GAA in newspapers anymore.Most sports writing is terribly repetitive and boring and I find that forums like this are a better way of keeping in touch with whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Only if it was a pullout in an already established national paper would I read it. I wouldnt buy soley a gaa paper although its a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

We already have one which covers the whole of ulster and for the life of me i cant remember the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

oisinog wrote: »
    We already have one which covers the whole of ulster and for the life of me i cant remember the name

Gaelic life and yeah it's crap (well for free state Ulster anyway!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Sad really when you think of it......I used to live for the Con Houlihan column in the Evening Press on Monday after a a big GAA weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wolfhillbilly

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Gaelic life and yeah it's crap (well for free state Ulster anyway!!)

I think Gaelic Life's a great read!! I buy it every week.
    I'm not sure what its sales are like but I woudn't say that every county would be able to support a newspaper dedicated solely to GAA - maybe a Gaelic Life for each province. Local newspaper sales are on the slide all over Ireland. The local Belfast newspaper (The irish News) has dropped from 50,000 sales to 40,000 in the last four years. Its main selling point is GAA but as Dingus points out, many people now pick their news and sport up on the internet. Thee have been a few Ulster GAA magazines over eth years but as far as I know, they've all fallen by the wayside apart from Gaelic Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

In our local paper there is a of gaa most weeks. Then most clubs send in their club notes to the paper as well. Add to that the various online sites i don't think It would be in demand here ( Longford). Might be different elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No, I wouldn't buy it. There is enough shee-ite written about Dublin as it is ! :p

Anyway, the Herald has a 12 page Dublin GAA supplement on Thursdays, so I don't think another paper is needed for us. These days, you can generally find results very quickly on the internet, if you put a bit of effort into knowing what websites and/or Twitter accounts to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

If Gaelic Life branched out or had a Southern Edition there might be a decent market for it I reckon. Some very good columns in it, in fairness. Kevin Cassidy and John Morrison to name but 2..you also have the weekly "look how controversial I am" Joe Brolly column of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

No market for GAA stuff now. It's a declining product anyway, with rules that are rarely enforced even in the bigger games. The Kerry final on TG4 yesterday is a case in point. At least 4 BLACK cards merited but ref ( A Garda I believe) gave yellows in all cases. Cormac Reilly in Limerick with Kerry v Mayo brought it all to a new low and it's no wonder that young men are going rapidly to ball games with properly enforced rules.
    The GAA is no longer flavour of the month with most sports people and a GAA newspaper would never get off the ground IMHO.
    Don't talk to me about autobiographies that are currently being spouted. One in particular won't have big sales in Tipperary town I'd imagine and Paddy Russel will have a wry smile on his face when he sees this tripe on a book shelf.
    A newspaper about hot air balooning would have a better chance of succeeding.

wackokid wrote: »
    No market for GAA stuff now. It's a declining product anyway, with rules that are rarely enforced even in the bigger games. The Kerry final on TG4 yesterday is a case in point. At least 4 BLACK cards merited but ref ( A Garda I believe) gave yellows in all cases. Cormac Reilly in Limerick with Kerry v Mayo brought it all to a new low and it's no wonder that young men are going rapidly to ball games with properly enforced rules.
    The GAA is no longer flavour of the month with most sports people and a GAA newspaper would never get off the ground IMHO.
    Don't talk to me about autobiographies that are currently being spouted. One in particular won't have big sales in Tipperary town I'd imagine and Paddy Russel will have a wry smile on his face when he sees this tripe on a book shelf.

You're not from Mayo by any chance? :pac:

"The GAA is no longer flavour of the month with most sports people"...LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah I laughed too. It's been a long month, the two most popular sports in Ireland for about a century. Who knew how much damage a few dodgy refereeing decisions could cause!

No, boy bán, I'm from Kerry actually, but without the blinkers.

Do you live on the Blaskets..Skellig Mhichíl?

In all seriousness though, I'd like to welcome you to my ignore list.

Do you live on the Blaskets..Skellig Mhichíl?

In all seriousness though, I'd like to welcome you to my ignore list.

Are you really THAT important?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hiya Jerry.

What did you think of the marathon yesterday? Those Kenyans are some operators, eh?

Regards

ProudDub.

PS, Get a haircut for godsake. Did you not get the memo that mullets went out of fashion in 1985?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

gaalover wrote: »
    Hi Im just wondering would there be an interest in a gaa newspaper for each county. It would be a weekly newspaper sold in each county so for example in Meath it would have a page dedicated to each club with fixtures/results/events of all sections within the club and then also have a pullout of club fixtures and results from the rest of the counties.
    I have noticed in a few forums where people are looking for results of other county club championships so this way people would have a way of finding out.
    I'm aware that local newspapers carry gaa news but I feel there is a need to give more information to the public rather than snippets, maybe there is some counties that have a gaa dedicated newspaper, if so can people let me know thanks :)
    No there wouldn't. Local papers already cover GAA in enough depth. Don't see anyone trying to do this as you'd struggle to make it viable and as others have said the internet etc means people can check up on other counties and club results there.
    All clubs don't really need a full page of a paper dedicated to their news as they simply wouldn't have enough to make a full page of news.
    No.

I barely read GAA in newspapers anymore.Most sports writing is terribly repetitive and boring and I find that forums like this are a better way of keeping in touch with whats going on.
    Would disagree that most sports writing is very repetitive but internet has changed how reporting of events so of course its going to be better in many ways
    Hahaha. Slightly hysterical though some points are slightly madly true.

Advertisement