Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clasico Match Thread 5pm 25/10/'14 Sky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Real should be doing better with them counter attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They should but at the same time they're not over committing either. Keeping most of their players back to deny Barca space in the final third.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Real Madrid playing like they're on drugs or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

TheCitizen wrote: »

Careful now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

At least we got 1 good game of footie today.

• Advertisement

Petulant by Ronnie.

Deserved win for Madrid. Much the better side. Barca's midfield looks more and more everyday like it's going to regret letting Thiago go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

Barca subs were useless, disappointing game tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Hala Madrid.

Yeah poor enough affair...neither team at their best. Madrid's counter attack is frightening

It's the performance enhancements of the corticosteroids that Ronnie's using for his "injuries". :pac:

(Ok, that was patently, terrible, I must do better.)

• Advertisement

Careful now!

Just saying like. Energy levels off the scale there.:eek:

Quite a brilliant performance from them. They'll win everything that's going this season playing like that including the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Enrique fhucked up. Xavi, Pique and Suarez should never have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Enrique fhucked up. Xavi, Pique and Suarez should never have started.

Or you know, Real are just really good and even when the best player in the world isn't firing on all cylinders have the quality throughout the pitch to outclass anyone. 3 goals against a defense that hasn't conceded this season, they're at a ridiculous quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya it really should've been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality going in to this one for Barca really, in regards to a Xavi & Suarez starting. Easy to say in hindsight mind . .

Liam O wrote: »
    Or you know, Real are just really good and even when the best player in the world isn't firing on all cylinders have the quality throughout the pitch to outclass anyone. 3 goals against a defense that hasn't conceded this season, they're at a ridiculous quality.

Tremendous energy levels they have.

Liam O wrote: »

Wow! Yeah, it might not have changed the result, but give yourself the best chance, eh? Not allowed to criticise team selections now?

Jeeeeez.

Superhuman.

Superhuman.

UnReal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya it really should've been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality going in to this one for Barca really, in regards to a Xavi & Suarez starting. Easy to say in hindsight mind . .

Hasen't Enrique been heavily rotating all season anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Barcelona look composed and, occasionally, exhilarating in possession, the potential of that three man forward line is there for the world to see.

True, fantastic forward line. So what did you think of the game overall? Madrid looking good you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Barcelona look composed and, occasionally, exhilarating in possession, the potential of that three man forward line is there for the world to see. In midfield the band is back together and theyve played a few classic tunes on that half. Claudio Bravo has been typically terrific in goal, only Pique has let the side down again, his time at Barcelona could be coming to an end.

Top post, top top post, would read again.

Superhuman.
    UnReal.

Is it possible that Pep let them use his team "doctors" services you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

symbolic wrote: »
    True, fantastic forward line. So what did you think of the game overall? Madrid looking good you think?

Madrid looking good though, while they are obviously a top side, I'm not convinced they will retain the CL, I'm not sure they will win La Liga but only time will tell, personally I think they are vulnerable defensively and can struggle to compete with possession against the very best.

In terms of Barcelona there were positives (Neymar, Suarez making his debut) but the two goals conceded in the second half both come from set plays (one attacking, one defending) it happens far too often against the top sides. The equaliser is a mess too. Under a proper board, Pique and Alves wouldn't have started this season at Barcelona while Sergi Roberto would not be the player tasked with replacing Iniesta. However I do believe there is something happening at Barcelona and it has the potential to be very special and I am patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

However I do believe there is something happening at Barcelona and it has the potential to be very special and I am patient.

Yeah I agree. Once Saurez settles in, today might be a mere blip in an undefeated (but one) season :)
    Great to see those two great teams go at it anyway, roll on the rest of the season. The talent on display today was fantastic.

Personally want to see Barca do it overall but this Madrid team are something else. All hail the rich teams!!

An attacking trio of Suarez, Neymar and Messi will be terrifying when they get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »
    An attacking trio of Suarez, Neymar and Messi will be terrifying when they get going.

It's what's behind them I'd worry about. Xavi and maybe Iniesta are not the players they once were. Still class with the ball but the pressing game is lacking in the big games with them there. Barca will obliterate everyone in Spain bar Real as will be back to usual with those 2 at a level above everyone in the world bar Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Same old story with Ronaldo, scores, but anonymous in general play

Same old story with Ronaldo, scores, but anonymous in general play

One of the rare occasions when I literally laughed out loud when I read a post Same old story eh?

LOL

One of the rare occasions when I literally laughed out loud when I read a post Same old story eh?

LOL

Take away Ronaldo's goals here for a moment. Name me one game where he's been brilliant in general play, just one. And I don't mean games where he's scored 4 or 5 goals, and was considered brilliant because of the goals alone. Just give me one game wheres his general play (excluding goals) has come anywhere close to a Maradona, Cruyff, Platini, Zidane or even Messi level. I genuinely couldn't name one to be honest

• Advertisement

Take away Ronaldo's goals here for a moment. Name me one game where he's been brilliant in general play, just one. And I don't mean games where he's scored 4 or 5 goals, and was considered brilliant because of the goals alone. Just give me one game wheres his general play (excluding goals) has come anywhere close to a Maradona, Cruyff, Platini, Zidane or even Messi level. I genuinely couldn't name one to be honest

Thats ok with me :) I have zero interest in playing this game, just felt I couldnt let a genuine laugh out loud moment pass un recorded.

If you can't think of one game, just one game, where his general play was outstanding thats your hang up, it won't bother me too much :)

That is leaving aside how foolish a stance it is that scoring goals is not the most important thing an attacker can contribute to his teams success!

Thats ok with me :) I have zero interest in playing this game, just felt I couldnt let a genuine laugh out loud moment pass un recorded.

If you can't think of one game, just one game, where his general play was outstanding thats your hang up, it won't bother me too much :)

That is leaving aside how foolish a stance it is that scoring goals is not the most important thing an attacker can contribute to his teams success!

Well since you can't name one, I'll put it to any other Ronaldo fans out there. All I'm looking for is one game where Ronaldo has performed to the level of Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane etc. in general play? Again, goals excluded. Not one stand-out performance comes to mind. The reality is, and we all know it, is because it's never happened

Well since you can't name one, I'll put it to any other Ronaldo fans out there. All I'm looking for is one game where Ronaldo has performed to the level of Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane etc. in general play? Again, goals excluded. Not one stand-out performance comes to mind. The reality is, and we all know it, is because it's never happened

You know what, I have seen the light! Great Scott man you are right. Ronaldo, is actually, just a hype job isn't he?! A damn Sky Sports hype job!?! !1 Argh!!

Now that you have shown us the truth you need to get the word out there, you need to quit your job, sell your house, this is important. Spread the word. Ronaldo is nothing but a goddamn goalscoring freak, thats all he does it score goals, match winning, title winning, trophy winning goals

I feel so cheated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can we do one for Maradona next but you have to exclude any of the games he dribbled past a player in. That's all he ever did...

You know what, I have seen the light! Great Scott man you are right. Ronaldo, is actually, just a hype job isn't he?! A damn Sky Sports hype job!?! !1 Argh!!

Now that you have shown us the truth you need to get the word out there, you need to quit your job, sell your house, this is important. Spread the word. Ronaldo is nothing but a goddamn goalscoring freak, thats all he does it score goals, match winning, title winning, trophy winning goals

I feel so cheated :(

Back to goals I see. I get that. He is a goal scoring machine, I never denied that. But take away the goals, I just like to know one game, while in general play, he's performed to the level of some of the greats of the game

Lord in a ford the hate is real

• Advertisement

Can we do one for Maradona next but you have to exclude any of the games he dribbled past a player in. That's all he ever did...

Oh he was forever doing it, just dribble dribble dribble, just showing off is all he was at. Name me one game he was good that he didn't dribble past at least one player, just one! We all know the reality here, it never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lads listen to me for a second, you know Neuer, well take away his saves, now tell me a game where he has had an outstanding performance (excluding saves), personally I can't think of any, I don't think there has ever been such a game

• I'm still convicnved Messi is not fully fit going on his performance earlier. Tough on Suarez to come into his first game for Barca against Madrid but good long term for Barca that he got around 70 mins under his belt.
    Iniesta injury would be a conern for them.

Having watched Madrid twice this week there much tighther in defense. As for the attack it speaks for itself.
    Ronaldo had so much room tonight and Pique was to blame for a lot of it.
    Benzima is class, so strong in possesion and his goal was well taken.

Back to goals I see. I get that. He is a goal scoring machine, I never denied that. But take away the goals, I just like to know one game, while in general play, he's performed to the level of some of the greats of the game

But if you have not seen one with your own eyes then why should I take it you have any sort of capacity to acknowledge said performance?

I will certainly mock the attempt to paint goalscoring in an almost negative light, I tried, I really did, I tried not to engage but that is just too tempting

Now answer the question about Maradona please, then we will move on to that fraud Cryuff with his "ball control"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lads listen to me for a second, you know Neuer, well take away his saves, now tell me a game where he has had an outstanding performance (excluding saves), personally I can't think of any, I don't think there has ever been such a game
    I remember this one time at the start of a game, for about 20 minutes, he had no saves to make but he was fairly handy at the old standing around.
    He did have to make saves later though so that rules that game out. F*ck!!!
    It's harder than you'd think.

• Advertisement

Lads surely someone could have given one match by this stage?

Now, now clearly Jose Manuel pinto is the better goalkeeper because he has more trophies than the fella above.

That fella was mighty at being a sweeper. The Germany Algeria game comes to mind. He's not a bad penalty taker either.

All I'm looking for is one game where Ronaldo has performed to the level of Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane etc. in general play?

He was excellent in a game against Belenenses in 2003.

Meanwhile Maradona was anonymous v Sporting Gijon away in 1983, Cruyff ironically against the same opposition in 1976 and I thought Zidane very poor against a disciplined and dogged Rennes outfit in 1993.

Glad to help.

What was wrong with the outfit? Was it a tux?

Oh he was forever doing it, just dribble dribble dribble, just showing off is all he was at. Name me one game he was good that he didn't dribble past at least one player, just one! We all know the reality here, it never happened.

Not the same analogy. Dribbling is part of general play. And I don't rate Ronaldo in general play, as many others don't, hence why opinion is very divided on him. He's a goal scoring machine, and I never once doubted that, but the reality is if you take away his goals, he's never once performed to a level close to any of the greats, hence why you can't name one stand-out performance. So you have to try and ridicule the post, trying to smugly make it out like it always happens, to cover the fact that in reality its never once happened

he's never once performed one to a level close to any of the greats, hence why you can't name one stand-out performance.

I did.

The Belenenses match.

46 passes that day. Even the Belenenses manager said he ran the show, which was unusual because English wasn't his first language.

I did.

The Belenenses match.

46 passes that day. Even the Belenenses manager said he ran the show, which was unusual because English wasn't his first language.

You have a match report there?

Johan Cruyff "ran the show" in his sleep. Doesn't make Ronaldo's performance world class. I highly doubt it was anything but decent on the day

You have a match report there?

I do. It's in a drawer under the bookcase in the front room. Call over. Bring a Portuguese English dictionary, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Not the same analogy. Dribbling is part of general play. And I don't rate Ronaldo in general play, as many others don't, hence why opinion is very divided on him. He's a goal scoring machine, and I never once doubted that, but the reality is if you take away his goals, he's never once performed to a level close to any of the greats, hence why you can't name one stand-out performance. So you have to try and ridicule the post, trying to smugly make it out like it always happens, to cover the fact that in reality its never once happened

Is the whole point of football not to score goals ? General play means feck all if the ball isn't put in the back of the net, what does general play even mean, like if he puts the ball in the net twice and he does nothing all game, it means much the same as putting the ball in the net twice and coming close a few times and making a few decent passes

Leave aside Ronaldo for a moment. Mario Gomes would the example of someone who did nothing all game but still score.

General play is a vague description of a player's contribution to the team beyond their primary
    role I.e apart from his defensive abilities what else does the centre back contribute to his team's overall game.

The whole point of soccer is indeed to score goals. This quantity is largely determined by the general play of the entire team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement