Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v. Chelsea, 26/10/14, SS1 16:00 - Mod Note in OP

• 24-10-2014 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

B0yQ5gDIEAA8m9S.png:large

http://eplindex.com/60527/manchester-united-chelsea-preview-team-news-key-men-stats.html

Chelsea travel to Old Trafford for one of the biggest fixtures of the English footballing calender.

Chelsea are in irresistible form at the moment, having only dropped 2 points in the League all season, and are coming off the back of having thrashed Maribor 6-0 on Tuesday night. Costa and Remy are injury doubts for the game, so Chelsea may be reliant upon Didier Drogba to lead the line. Azpilcueta suspended, so Luis will be starting at LB.

United are having a very patchwork season so far, and have come off a disappointing 2-2 draw with West Brom on Monday night. The extra day of rest could benefit United's squad ahead of this huge fixture.

This could be an absolute cracker, as one of the best defences in the league meets one of the most exciting attacking line-ups in the league.

It could go either way, but I would predict that Chelsea will win, catching United on the counter. 1-3 or so would be my guess at a scoreline.

MOD NOTE - This is a topic for Man United vs Chelsea - Keep the discussion on topic please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jose hasnt ruled out Costa yet.

I guess we'll see at about 3pm sunday if Costa plays or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Costa will play I'd imagine, can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Will be interesting this. Di Maria and Falcao can hurt any team in the world but Di Maria will need to put in a defensive shift as well.

Hazard, Cesc & Matic should be the winning of this game with or without Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I wouldn't be so sure of Chelsea's defense, they have leaked some dodgy goals this year. Still think they'll have too much for United, should be a cracking game though. 1-3.

De Gea
    --Rafael--Jones--Rojo
    Shaw--
    Herrara----Blind

Fellaini

Di Maria

RVP
    Falcao

Is how I see United lining up, but any of Mata/Valencia/Carrick/Young/Januzaj could swap in. Very hard to call.

Chelsea is easy, as usual under Mourinho:

Courtois
    --Ivanovic---Cahill
    Terry----Azpiliqueta--
    Fabregas--Matic
    --Schurrle
    Oscar
    Hazard--
    Costa

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Chelsea is easy, as usual under Mourinho:

Courtois
    --Ivanovic---Cahill
    Terry----Azpiliqueta--
    Fabregas--Matic
    --Schurrle
    Oscar
    Hazard--
    Costa

Azpilicueta is suspended and I would say Willian will start over Schurrle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I threw a sneaky tenner at Chelsea -2 for this. 3-1 seems a solid prediction but you never know how things will pan out with these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Honestly don't think it will be a cracker. Chelsea have a past history of playing all out defence.
    It will be a big test of Utd's top 4 credentials and in that regard it should be interesting.

Can only see one team winning this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I threw a sneaky tenner at Chelsea -2 for this. 3-1 seems a solid prediction but you never know how things will pan out with these two.

I hope you realise a 3-1 win for Chelsea would mean Chelsea -2 would be a lost bet.

Will be interesting this. Di Maria and Falcao can hurt any team in the world but Di Maria will need to put in a defensive shift as well.

Matic is key, his presence and ability to break up play is a huge asset especially in these big games.

Happy Luis is playing, offers another dimension, Jose prefers 1 FB to sit while the other attacks, so it could be Ivanovic acting like a 3rd CB while Luis goes on own the left and whips in crosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I hope you realise a 3-1 win for Chelsea would mean Chelsea -2 would be a lost bet.

Of course, just saying my -2 bet is a massive long shot and a minus one bet would have been a lot more sensible. Ah well live and die and all that

• Advertisement

• Will be interesting this. Di Maria and Falcao can hurt any team in the world but Di Maria will need to put in a defensive shift as well.

Problem against West Brom was the Massive gap between Shaw & Di Maria which left us exposed.

Di Maria is wasted if he's spending most of his time tracking back. LVG needs to counter this. Possibly by giving Valencia the nod to double up with Shaw on the left and switch Di Maria to the other side.

Rooney is a big loss Sunday.
    I'm not convinced about Mata, too slow in possession and defensively he is weak and get's caught in possession.
    I actually think Fellani is going to get the nod for #10 ahead of him. Was impressed with his performance when he came on against WB.

I would like to see Falcoa start.

Defensively the height advantage is going to make Chelsea always a danger in the air, Matic / Terry & Costa.
    Interested to see how much of the ball Cesc has in midfield.
    As for Costa he will start. His strength and balance....what can you do. All I can hope for is Jones to have a stormer and Costa has an off day (highly unlikely going on current form).

My Team to Start;
    De Gea
    Rafeal Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Di Maria Herrara Valencia
    Falleni
    Falcoa

Oh and predications: My heart says 3-2 Man Utd
    Realistically a 2-1 win to Chelsea but you never know.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Problem against West Brom was the Massive gap between Shaw & Di Maria which left us exposed.

Di Maria is wasted if he's spending most of his time tracking back. LVG needs to counter this. Possibly by giving Valencia the nod to double up with Shaw on the left and switch Di Maria to the other side.

Rooney is a big loss Sunday.
    I'm not convinced about Mata, too slow in possession and defensively he is weak and get's caught in possession.
    I actually think Fellani is going to get the nod for #10 ahead of him. Was impressed with his performance when he came on against WB.

I would like to see Falcoa start possibly alongside RVP.

Defensively the height advantage is going to make Chelsea always a danger in the air, Matic / Terry & Costa.
    As for Costa he will start. His strength and balance....what can you do. All I can hope for is Jones to have a stormer and Costa has an off day (highly unlikely going on current form).

My Team to Start;
    De Gea
    Rafeal Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Di Maria Herrara Valencia
    Falleni
    RVP Falcoa

If ye start with 12 ye'll win :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

GavRedKing wrote: »

Nah, they still wouldn't. :D

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    oops! :pac:

Thanks Gav..sorted :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bring it ****ing on bitches!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Yea Rooney is a huge loss for United, quality player would have loved to have got him last season. If we had I think we would have won the league, still was not to be.

Can't see Falcao not starting he may not be fully match fit but again a top quality player who will test our CB's and they can be a little brittle.

I reckon we'll go

Courtois

Ivanovic---Cahill---JT---Luis

Matic

Willian--Oscar--Cesc--Hazard

Costa

Depending on how Utd line up, those players will allolw us to go 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1

In essence they're all the same formations with a bit of a tweak in roles and defensive duties but I wouldnt be surprised to us start 4-1-4-1 for the first 15mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Chelseas striker problems might be Uniteds only saving grace.

Chelsea have much the better team but I can see Mourinho playing Schurrle up front and flooding the midfield, which will see the game tick along with Chelsea keeping easy possession, probably scoring a few but never really looking like scoring a bagful.

For all Uniteds star names only Di Maria is actually playing well and Mourinho will focus on stopping him. Beyond him we won't compete.

It'll end up 1-0 or 2-0 without ever being an exciting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah I can't see too many goals in this myself. Can even see it being nil all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon we'll go

Courtois

Ivanovic---Cahill---JT---Luis

Matic

Willian--Oscar--Cesc--Hazard

Costa

Depending on how Utd line up, those players will allolw us to go 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1

In essence they're all the same formations with a bit of a tweak in roles and defensive duties but I wouldnt be surprised to us start 4-1-4-1 for the first 15mins.

You think Willian will start ahead of Schurrle?
    Schurely not!

Sorry.

• Advertisement

Chelseas striker problems might be Uniteds only saving grace.

Chelsea have much the better team but I can see Mourinho playing Schurrle up front and flooding the midfield, which will see the game tick along with Chelsea keeping easy possession, probably scoring a few but never really looking like scoring a bagful.

For all Uniteds star names only Di Maria is actually playing well and Mourinho will focus on stopping him. Beyond him we won't compete.

It'll end up 1-0 or 2-0 without ever being an exciting game.

I wouldnt say much better, but certainly our defence is better, the rest is 50/50 with utd having better CF options.

I think utd will score, so its down to us to score first.

I posted in the Chelsea thread, the last time we've been behind in a game is Swansea last month, we've not gone behind since and havent been behind since Terrys O.G., some 8 games later, 18goals for, 7 against.

If we go ahead, I'd be confident of at least a draw.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    You think Willian will start ahead of Schurrle?
    Schurely not!

Sorry.

Schurrle is a doubt, along with Costa, Ramires, Mikel, Remy definitely out as is Azp whos suspended.

Even if Schurrle was fit he wouldnt play.

P.S. its the easiest joke to make :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Easy home win, United by 3.
    Am I doing it right? Is that hilarious?

Easy home win, United by 3.
    Am I doing it right? Is that hilarious?

Reverse jinx

I think Utd by at least 5 is the bet special guest ref, Howard Webb to give 3 penalties to Utd.

Right? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Our backline pretty much picks itself but ahead of that I'm struggling to see how we line up to counteract Chelsea overrunning us bar dropping RVP or not playing Falcao. Only chance IMO is if we match up like for like in a 4-2-3-1 perhaps with Blind and Herrera holding and Di Maria on one side and either Young/Januzaj on the right. If we go with Mata behind Falcao and RVP I fear we're going to get overrun so it's got to be two from the 3 of those.

If Costa doesn't play then I'll feel a lot more confident come half 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wouldn't be expecting an exciting game here, and think the outcome depends on how Chelsea set themselves up. Mourinho f*cked up here last season by playing for the draw when a lot of lesser teams showed that there was nothing to fear. Will he do it again? If not it should be a straightforward win for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chelsea will tearz zee strips offa zee Unitedz boyz.
    (No idea what the implied accent is all about)

KAMON YOU BLUESSSSS!

4-0
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Heart for Utd, head for Chelsea. I hope Falcao starts and possibly plays a blinder, hasn't even shown a glimpse of what the man is capable of!

• Advertisement

madcabbage wrote: »
    Heart for Utd, head for Chelsea. I hope Falcao starts and possibly plays a blinder, hasn't even shown a glimpse of what the man is capable of!

I think he has shown glimpses, his finishing has been a bit poor so far but he has linked the play nicely. I think you have to remember he is still recovering from a serious knee injury, he'll get there but hopefully not Sunday. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Chelsea should be winning this but you never know how these will turn out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If Costa is not playing I think we can get a result. Maybe 2-1 to United.

If he is playing I think we'll have to be very lucky but I'd say 3-1 Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Only way I can see United winning is if we go all out attack for the first half and hedge our bets on being in the lead and then trying to hold on for dear life. It's quite obvious we don't have the players to stay compact for 90 mins. We will need huge performances by Di Maria, Jones and one of Falcao or Van Persie ( both are due a big game ). And DDG of course. I wouldn't be too confident though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Didn't start the match thread so won't have any of ye doing this if we lose:pac:

PPMD5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

zerks wrote: »
    Didn't start the match thread so won't have any of ye doing this if we lose:pac:

PPMD5.jpg

And if we win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

And if we win?

tumblr_lmdlu6fMoi1qcjzcm.gif

Chelsea should have quite a few tougher games than this in the league this year, Utd defence is terrible and they are continuing where they left off last year after 8 games played.

I think Shaw will be struggling for confidence after Monday and I don't expect a solid game from him.

Drogba will be up for this game massively.
    Can't see utd getting anything from the game, I think Chelsea will exploit utds defensive frailties while having enough possession and defensive integrity to dull utds attacking strengths.

I'm not a Mourinho fan but I think he'll be happy on Sunday.

Augeo wrote: »
    they are continuing where they left off last year after 8 games played.

That's just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

United werent known for their rubbish defence last year, it was the insipid attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Chelsea should have quite a few tougher games than this in the league this year, Utd defence is terrible and they are continuing where they left off last year after 8 games played.

I think Shaw will be struggling for confidence after Monday and I don't expect a solid game from him.

Drogba will be up for this game massively.
    Can't see utd getting anything from the game, I think Chelsea will exploit utds defensive frailties while having enough possession and defensive integrity to dull utds attacking strengths.

I'm not a Mourinho fan but I think he'll be happy on Sunday.

So what are you trying to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I can see this finishing 2 2. There is goals in this utd team and their best bet is to go at chelsea as they are not strong enough defensively to play it cagey.

That's just not true.

Apologies, what I mean is utd defence is terrible.
    Utd continuing where they left off last year after 8 games, ie their points tally is as if last season continued.

So what are you trying to say?

Handy 3 points for Chelsea.

Apologies, what I mean is utd defence is terrible.
    Utd continuing where they left off last year after 8 games, ie their points tally is as if last season continued.

There's a slow but definite improvement in how the team are playing, this game is still way too early though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Big games like this can be strange, form goes out the window and anything can happen on the day, in the pressure. I'm an eternal optimist no matter the opposition but I'm finding it hard to see a United win here, the defense is just far too unsettled still to get 3 points. Unless the attacking quartet can bail them out by scoring a few.

Still though, we have Di Maria so we're gonna win :pac:

Can't wait for this one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This is only going to go down one way. Don't get be wrong - would love Falcao to score twice in a 2-0 win but it has to be Chelsea here.

3-1 Chelsea. Hazard MotM

Closer it gets the happier i am with a draw, even if we lose we still top the table.

Although, if City drop points in the next few hours I'd be going all out to better their result to put some distance between whats arguably our greatest rival this year.

Ya, now City have lost a draw isnt the worst result in the world, I'd go as far as saying Utd will want to win more given Pool and City have dropped points this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If Chelsea win tomorrow, that should be that. Early enough to be calling it over but 8 points back to their nearest rival is unprecedented at this stage of the season. Going for a draw here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Raf32 wrote: »
    If Chelsea win tomorrow, that should be that. Early enough to be calling it over but 8 points back to their nearest rival is unprecedented at this stage of the season. Going for a draw here though.

Chelseas annual 'November slump' is right around the corner.
    But we're safe as its still October so we should beat united, wooo!

• Advertisement
Advertisement