Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breach of banking data protection

Options
  • 24-10-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has advise for me on a breach of banking data protection? Another banking customer received a letter from my bank with all my private personal details on it relating to my mortgage. Fortunately for me the person who mistakenly received the personal letter sent it to my address which was on the top corner of the letter. The kind person who sent it back to me also left her contact details if I wanted to talk to her over the phone. The bank admitted to being at fault and said that human error occurred in that the letter was put into the wrong envelope. However even though they admitted being at fault the incident did cause distress. Has this ever happened to anyone else and was anything ever done about it and is there anything I can do about it? Also if it wasn't for the kind person sending me back the latter the whole incident would not have ever been detected.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you have a concern, you can speak to the Data Protection Commissioner's office. Details here: https://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=4

I'm not sure what you expect them to do. If it was a genuine error on the bank's part, and they've apologised about it, I don't think you will get much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What exactly is it you want done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

It was a human error nobody got hurt or died get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I don't think it was very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

horsebox7 wrote: »
    I don't think it was very professional.

It wasn't but unfortunately mistakes happen.

They've apologised. If you wish you can bring it up with the data protection commissioner (in case there are other similiar issues that they are aware of and it is part of a bigger problem).
    Outside of that, what else are you expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

was it delivered to the wrong address or did the bank send it to the wrong address ? Sounds like the former otherwise how would the person who recieved it know who to forward it to ? (Unless they opened your post which as helpful as they were being is illegal)

if you have a concern contact the data protection commisioner either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

It was sent to the wrong address. My actual address was on the letter contained inside the envelope. This is how the person who got it was able to send it back to me. The address on the envelope was obviously not my address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

As someone asked above, what solution are you looking for here? What is it you want the bank to do for you?

Advertisement