Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope)

Options
  • 24-10-2014 2:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The man behind Papers, Please has released an early demo for his next game: downloadable here.

Based on this small amount of evidence, there is no reason to believe this won't be another immensely clever experiment with mechanics and narrative. It would almost be unfair to describe the gameplay hooks here, but there are two unexpected twists to what at first appears to be another in the 'walking simulator' genre. I actually missed one of them first time around, and it adds a whole other dimension once its discovered! If the mechanics play out the way the game indicates, it's looking like a game that will offer a very unique way of telling a story (reminiscent of the likes of Remember Me, but in a much more stylistically confident manner) while also allowing the player to figure a lot of the nuances out for themselves. If you liked Papers, Please, this is quite a different style of game but you'll be happy to know you play an insurance assessor and bureaucracy does play a role in the gameplay ;)

It also looks great, with a graphic style reminiscent of a mix between old Mac adventure games and a Gameboy game. The dot art style is taken advantage of in a very clever way, as you'll see as you play through the demo. There's some potentially fantastic musical compositions too, with Pope promising to improve their orchestration for final release.

Anyway, have to say I was extremely impressed by the demo. The full release is some time away yet it seems, but if Pope can expand on the promise shown here this should be very special.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Think I'll wait for the full release, but it sounds excellent. Papers, Please was one of the very best games I played last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Almost exactly four years later... this thing is finally coming out next week!

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1050076169800839169?s=21

I am as excited as I was back in 2014 to see how Pope’s Papers Please follow-up turns out, and I love the central concept here :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone else playing this? Finally got around to playing the first few hours last night and it's thankfully everything I could have hoped for. A truly inspired marriage of concept and execution: a hybrid of the mundane (insurance assessing) and fantastical (a magical 'death watch') that gels immediately. The first little bit will be familiar to anyone who has played any of the demos... but quickly it starts spiralling out in all manner of weird and interesting directions, especially as soon as the
    sea monsters
    start appearing. Hours quickly disappeared as soon as I started playing as the Obra Dinn's secret start spilling out (probably one of the densest environments in video game history). And all the while, you're tasked with a smartly streamlined but unusually demanding detective task - this requires your full attention, and quickly tosses you into the deep end to figure things out for yourself.

Basically: You'll struggle to find a more original, clever and engrossing game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I'm playing it. It is good, but it's very far from easy!

ballyargus wrote: »
    I'm playing it. It is good, but it's very far from easy!

How many fates have you gotten through? Finished it over the weekend and I found the challenge level just right. Biggest bumps are probably after you’ve narrowed down the really obvious ones and start figuring out who everyone else is, and towards the end getting that one key identity that’ll open up the rest. There was one small detail I noticed in a memory early on that became that key for me :)

Definitely my favourite game of the year. I loved pretty much every minute of it, and I have nothing but admiration for the sheer artistry of the design. Perfectly judged throughout, with just the right level of a helping hand guiding you through an often overwhelming amount of information.

• Advertisement

Mark Brown has taken a look at this as his annual most interesting game of the year. For those yet to play it, the first few minutes are a good overview without much in the way of spoilers.

Already wishing I could start this from the start again for that sense of discovery all over again... the rare game indeed that earns that kind of response!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started this today and it's game of the year material. Lucas pope just has a knack of making what should be a mundane bureaucratic job interesting and exciting.

I usually bounce off adventure games of this type as they find it hard to keep my interest but I'm absolutely hooked on the puzzle elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bought it yesterday at the Humble Store, but won't get a chance to play until next week. Excited for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just finished this game over the weekend and it is just fantastic. So original and so addictive. The right amount of difficulty and I want to just head back to the start and play it again. That's it's only negative in my eyes, it's got zero replayability. I've spent so much time looking at big ears
    Zungi Sathi
    that I couldn't possibly forget who he is on a second playthrough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm diving into it on and off which is probably the wrong way to play it. I do think it's a fantastic game. Really great use of mechanics in storytelling. Just wish I was cleverer.

• Advertisement

Well I played it with my husband so don't feel too bad! We did find that it was better that we played it over a solid week so we didn't forget little bits of information or people's faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Got this over the weekend on Switch. Really enjoying it overall, but it does become quite overwhelming every now and again when you get a run of new corpses/memories and almost all of the faces in the new memories are unblurred! I must have 3/4 of the sketch unblurred by now and next to no idea who most are (other than unknown Topman or Midshipman etc.).
    Still though, seeing the "Well done.." text pop up is one of those truly satisfying/relieving moments that are too infrequent in games now. Really enjoying the soundtrack too.

It’s definitely overwhelming at times, but there is a flow to things that makes the once seemingly insurmountable manageable. There are the easy identities - the one the game basically tells you, or the ones where you clearly see the cause of death. Once you get past them, the meat of the game really kicks in - it’s about searching for those hints that’ll give you those identity details. The last stretch is the hardest but the most satisfying. It’s when you have a small number of names left but tonnes of permutations, and you really need to go searching for those last few crucial details. It’s all in the game if you look carefully, and there’s nothing better than that ‘well done’ chime when you’ve finally sussed precisely who some of those seemingly anonymous general crew members are :)

Fantastic game. Gave it go about six month ago. What genre would you even call this? Reminded me of the old point and click games yet nothing like them at the same time. I felt like I cheated in the end as I guessed a few people when I had narrowed it down and got it right by chance.

I might give it another go soon to see if I've forgotten enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've only 3 fates solved and opened 3 chapters, currently stuck on finding more bodies but I'm revisiting scenes and putting names to faces. Some educated guess, feel good about some, iffy about others but I've a massive grin just going from scene to scene.

Anyone know if i can replay a scene from journal of do i have to go back to that body?

In the journal, does a circled chapter mean i can start it by finding something that i just missed?

Ha! Turned it back on, instantly found a body I had missed previously and solved it there and then, ping, another 3 fates solved, the elation! Just another 54ish fates to solve :pac:

I recall reading that it was a design decision that you had to find a body to start that scene. Otherwise the ship would be less of a location to travel around in the present day. You'd just be navigating a menu instead.

As if the circles, I think that means you've found a body, but have not solved its fate. An X means you have solved its fate. Not 100% sure as I'm working off memory. Fantastic game though. I've played through it all twice.

And another 3, on a roll!

I can see now any circled 'Parts' in the journal are bodies that can be found in that location so at least it's a heads up to kick off a chapter.

21 or 22 fates solved now, some guesses, others well figured out like the midshipmen. Starting to identify groups and putting down some educated guesses. The storm has arrived meaning I can leave the ship so all chapters unlocked except the bargain. It's very daunting wondering what to look into next but mad seeing earlier chapters in a whole new light.

Like I was trying to identify the surgeons mate and fairly sure I have him and then found him h
    iding in the surgeons office during an attack.

Slowly but surely chipping away at them.

• Advertisement

You're making me want to go back to this game and not get distracted by it. Maybe after Sekiro.

I got all excited when I saw there was a new post in here. THought it might be news of a follow up or expansion or something. Glad you're enjoying it Zero-Cool. It was an astounding game to play.

It really is a special game. I get a bit stuck, decide to play a different game, look at cyberpunk, ghost of Tsushima, miles Morales and a few others (all that i actually want to play) and end up just booting up this again. I'm fairly sure i won't get 100% solve rate before i finish as i do want to play those other games but i definitely want to stick with it for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It really is a special game. I get a bit stuck, decide to play a different game, look at cyberpunk, ghost of Tsushima, miles Morales and a few others (all that i actually want to play) and end up just booting up this again. I'm fairly sure i won't get 100% solve rate before i finish as i do want to play those other games but i definitely want to stick with it for the time being.

I remember playing it and enjoying it, but then being stuck somewhere.
    So I put it down for a while, which turned into months.

Now I know that if I go back I'll have to start over as I've no good memory of what I've done or who I found etc.

So I'm 12 hours in and 48 fates solved, felt like rainman for some of them, my brain is absolutely rattled though. I feel like talking a break but too close now. I've been through all chapters 3 times now, absolutely great to see stuff i missed in previous investigations. The last fates though have me baffled, mostly seamen and Charles miner who i thought i solved ages ago but no clue if him now.

Some were wild guesses that i was shocked when they pinged, others educated guesses and some truly delicious discoveries that i was well chuffed with. Also, on my first playthrough of the chapters, i still didn't understand the full story but replaying multiple times and getting used to the characters, it's starting to come together, truly astounding story telling.

I had to Google what a topman was, felt stupid when i found it in the glossary then.

As someone that wants to go back and beat the game this time I'd recommend against any breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The chat around this game on the forum lately has piqued my interest in it, looks really special. Just trying to figure out which system to play it on, would it be a good handheld experience on Switch or would playing it on the big screen on PS4 be much better for this sort of game? Not big on playing the Switch docked so that won’t come into.

Marty, It certainly doesn't need a big screen for graphics but i think it would definitely help with clues. There are tiny details that I'd imagine would be a lot harder to see on the small screen but because it's in 1bit, mightn't make too much of a difference.

I definitely recommend it while it's on sale anyway.

Retro, yupp absolutely not taking a break from this, mostly because it's like the ol' crack cocaine (or so i would imagine).

I'm at a point now where I have 12 (i think) fates left, some just seem impossible so i take it I'll be guessing near the end but i just unlocked 48 fates so another 3 to go before i know if i have any right. 3 guesses is an awful lot for the group i have left but my plan is to just go through the seamen from loose cargo one by one to each of their memories for any hint of who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Now I know that if I go back I'll have to start over as I've no good memory of what I've done or who I found etc.

Someday I hope to experience exactly such a loss of memory, just so I can play it again from scratch. Not even just for the identity solving but some of the things you see in the scenes completely took me by surprise. So many brilliant moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Marty, It certainly doesn't need a big screen for graphics but i think it would definitely help with clues. There are tiny details that I'd imagine would be a lot harder to see on the small screen but because it's in 1bit, mightn't make too much of a difference.

I definitely recommend it while it's on sale anyway.

Retro, yupp absolutely not taking a break from this, mostly because it's like the ol' crack cocaine (or so i would imagine).

I'm at a point now where I have 12 (i think) fates left, some just seem impossible so i take it I'll be guessing near the end but i just unlocked 48 fates so another 3 to go before i know if i have any right. 3 guesses is an awful lot for the group i have left but my plan is to just go through the seamen from loose cargo one by one to each of their memories for any hint of who they are.

Some fates can't be done till last chapter after the boat ride back as chapter that is locked off. In the book also gives what each role is if you look through it. You may have also done but look at where they sleep as some can be got from their bed numbers to what is listed in the book. When you have all the fates you can unlock it will display none more can be unlocked till the final chapter.

Advertisement