Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Some fates can't be done till last chapter after the boat ride back as chapter that is locked off. In the book also gives what each role is if you look through it. You may have also done but look at where they sleep as some can be got from their bed numbers to what is listed in the book. When you have all the fates you can unlock it will display none more can be unlocked till the final chapter.

Ah cool ok. I spent so much time looking at the chinese bunks :pac: The seamen were one group i paid no attention to the whole game so I'd say i just need a fresh trek through three chapters for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Someday I hope to experience exactly such a loss of memory, just so I can play it again from scratch. Not even just for the identity solving but some of the things you see in the scenes completely took me by surprise. So many brilliant moments.

Leave it for a few years and you'll forget most of it.

I loved the music in that game though. I did get repetitive as there weren't many different tunes, but I loved them nonetheless

Amazing that the whole game was made by 1 guy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Leave it for a few years and you'll forget most of it.

I loved the music in that game though. I did get repetitive as there weren't many different tunes, but I loved them nonetheless

Amazing that the whole game was made by 1 guy

https://youtu.be/kZ4QweAa9lM

Done and done. Absolutely fan ****ing tastic. I guessed that last few ones as i just couldn't find their ID and my brain was melted from going back over scenes. Got there in the end. Man, Lucas Pope is a damn genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

30 fates into this and absolutely loving everything about it. I just wanted to check. I've opened it to where
    the boatman comes back to collect you
    probably about 9 fates ago. Are there some fates that I can't uncover i.e.
    The ones that seemed to escape in the boats
    until I get back on the boat or do I should I pay more attention to where the action of that chapter took place on the map that's at the front of each chapter. I know the chapter 'The Bargain' is locked to the end.

After hitting a bit of a gaming slump where nothing was really getting me excited, this is just a breath of fresh air. Absolutely love it.

• Advertisement

30 fates into this and absolutely loving everything about it. I just wanted to check. I've opened it to where
    the boatman comes back to collect you
    probably about 9 fates ago. Are there some fates that I can't uncover i.e. until I get back on the boat or do I should I pay more attention to where the action of that chapter took place on the map that's at the front of each chapter. I know the chapter 'The Bargain' is locked to the end.

After hitting a bit of a gaming slump where nothing was really getting me excited, this is just a breath of fresh air. Absolutely love it.

When he comes to take you away, you only get to go back to one specific section of the boat for that hidden chapter. You can discover the fates of all crew before leaving the ship (when the storm starts). As you are only half way through, will be hard to determine who escaped just yet. Even when I did, where they escaped to was a complete guess until I got the ping to tell me I was correct.

Some fates will be guesses like a guy who is alive in his last scene but maybe something looks like it's about to happen him so you can guess their fate then.

Once I hit a wall, I went back through each scene and chapter start to finish and turned out that I had actually identified some victims/culprits already but just not put their names on their actual fates in some scenes. Then once I went through it all again, I'd pick one specific crew person and check all the scenes they are in to get more hints. Also, they will have 3 stars/dots on their pic. 1 means you can 'easily' identify or guess, 2 means a harder person to identify and 3 means very hard. Try the ones with 1 star/dot first.

Some scenes only contain a certain type of crew like Topman or Seaman and even if you can't identify them, you can label them 'unknown topman' or 'unknown seaman' so when numbers start dwindling, it makes it easier to narrow down. Some crew like like they will be impossible to identify but once you break the 40/40 mark, the guesses become easier as less possible people it could be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a lot of crew that can only be identified because you've identified everyone else so the last one has to be the one you haven't identified. It's a bit like narrative sudoku.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a lot of crew that can only be identified because you've identified everyone else so the last one has to be the one you haven't identified. It's a bit like narrative sudoku.

I don't think that's true. Its just your not seeing the clue's to determine their identity and with fewer people left it becomes easier to brute force guess the identity of people.

After my second play through and reading the entire wiki after, I realised you actually can determine everyone without guessing. It's all there but some thing never occurred to me such as
    the people sleeping in the hammocks; some of them have only limbs that you can see, their shoes or tattoos identify them later along with the numbered log of everyone onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah the log book is what i overlooked and when i realised, it had built up so much that by the end i had too much to sift through and then revisit all memories to put names to those details.. I didnt wanna cheese it by guessing so said id just replay it again at some stage and do it proper with that knowledge..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My favourite moment in the game was being super stuck during the last dozen fates, when I spotted
    a tattoo on one dude’s arm during one of the final scenes where one group was trying to escape in a lifeboat
    . Remembered it was something I had casually spotted hours before hand in a totally separate scene, and putting two and two together meant I could solve a bunch of lingering details. That set off the endlessly satisfying ‘three fates solved’ alert :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feck you guys. I'm going to start this again at the weekend.

The screen going black and the 'Well Done’ message coming up when you've solved three more fates is unbelievably satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

only started this last night.

trying to get to grips with it , have to realise i probably have to play for a while before i can start to figure it out

already had two very satisfying AHA moments

recyclops wrote: »
    only started this last night.

trying to get to grips with it , have to realise i probably have to play for a while before i can start to figure it out

already had two very satisfying AHA moments

I'm particularly dense when it comes to these things but the game has a great way of drip-feeding you just enough clues to help you chip away at the different fates. I could go through 10 different bodies without getting anything before a clue at the last might me to unravel something that happened a while back and cross referencing it would help me figure who another group of crew members might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

OK just ended the game by accident well more so me being thick.

Fairly to grips with it now though so hapoy to dive in again

Just finished it there now. Absolutely brilliant! I got stuck around 30-33 fates and it felt like I'd hit a brick wall but something just clicked and the pieces all fell together in a really satisfying way. The most enjoyable gaming experience I've had in a long time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I loved the fact that
    even the letter you get at the start has clues in it
    . I missed that for ages, really helped with the boat people.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I loved the fact that
    even the letter you get at the start has clues in it
    . I missed that for ages, really helped with the boat people.

Ah I was wondering that, what a simple thing to miss! I just guessed going down the list of locations until there was a ping.

I think my favourite part was figuring out the fates of some of the characters from seeing their last appearances in the background of some of the scenes. I remember really struggling to figure out the identity of the
    Bosun's mate
    until I was walking around a scene and saw him running with his superior in the background on the deck. Copping on that the X beside dialogue meant that it was the dead person talking made a big difference.

• Advertisement

Started up a new game of this recently and vowed to stick with it. It really is a fantastic game. I just love how all the pieces fit together and I was up until 2am last night as I just kept getting ideas about ways to solve identities that either nearly always panned out or if not gave me new ideas on how to proceed. Even the chinese topmen I managed to figure out which I proud of. Heading into the last chapter when I get around to it tonight.

This is up there with the finest games ever made.

Advertisement