Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for the best Kodi/XBMC addons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

LazyTV is great for showing you the next available unwatched episode in a series. It also has a feature to play the next episode automatically, but I find Next-up notification is better for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

If Real-Debrid doesn't include live streaming then I'm not sure there's any point to it. I never seem to have any trouble finding any movie or TV show in high quality or have buffering problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Any recommendations for tv / movie addons ? Haven't used xbmc in ages, and all the ones I used to use, are all giving me script error messages ( Istream, Gotv etc ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

trixiebust wrote: »
    Any recommendations for tv / movie addons ? Haven't used xbmc in ages, and all the ones I used to use, are all giving me script error messages ( Istream, Gotv etc ).

1Channel is still going strong, icefilms, salts, Genesis, Phoenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

so I'm a complete noob to all this (but fairly tech savvy), received a Fire TV Stick yesterday, went through the walk through posted earlier in this thread for TVMC and low and behold everything worked out perfectly and I have all the add-ons running, was streaming sky sports etc, delighted with it all.

However, I've seen a few posts here and there on other forums saying ditch TVMC and go with native KODI instead. My question is, should I? Or should I just be happy with my lot. To be honest, it all seems fairly complicated, a whole world of tech and terms and stuff I've never dealt with before and I don't know how involved I want to get. Am I really missing out on anything by just sticking with TVMC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

podge018 wrote: »
    so I'm a complete noob to all this (but fairly tech savvy), received a Fire TV Stick yesterday, went through the walk through posted earlier in this thread for TVMC and low and behold everything worked out perfectly and I have all the add-ons running, was streaming sky sports etc, delighted with it all.

However, I've seen a few posts here and there on other forums saying ditch TVMC and go with native KODI instead. My question is, should I? Or should I just be happy with my lot. To be honest, it all seems fairly complicated, a whole world of tech and terms and stuff I've never dealt with before and I don't know how involved I want to get. Am I really missing out on anything by just sticking with TVMC?

Throw firestarter onto it and proper kodi.
    Its very easy to update kodi using firestarter.

I love the black box build so id say throw on it too.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Throw firestarter onto it and proper kodi.
    Its very easy to update kodi using firestarter.

I love the black box build so id say throw on it too.

why though, what are they? What's to gain? You say "throw" them on like I know how. :D

Are you saying to use these instead of TVMC?

One other question, I bought 2 fire sticks, both came registered to my amazon account. 1 is a gift though.

If I install TVMC on the gift under my account, then deregister the device, when I give the gift and the person plugs it in and registers with his account, will it still have TVMC set up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've Kodi on my android box but have TVMC on my laptop. I can't notice the difference to be honest, both do exactly the same thing and work perfectly. I think TVMC is mainly aimed at newbies and people who wouldn't be very tech minded as it basically does all the work for you and installs everything itself. My opinion would be if it works for you, why bother changing? There's no need. But then again, that's just me - everyone has different preferences and opinions. Like, say, the guy above who recommended that you change to Kodi and install the Black Box build. I'd say avoid installing any builds as they take up too much space, have a load of stuff on it that you don't/won't need and can cause problems running things on your set up or slow down the running of it. But hey, opinions are what make the world an interesting place........sometimes...... :D

why though, what are they? What's to gain? You say "throw" them on like I know how. :D

Are you saying to use these instead of TVMC?
    I'd say use the proper version of kodi over tvmc every time.
    If you managed to out tvmc on it , kodi shouldn't be any more difficult.

Firestarter makes it easier to find & use kodi + any other side loaded apps on your fire TV.
    YouTube & Google are your friends.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    I've Kodi on my android box but have TVMC on my laptop. I can't notice the difference to be honest, both do exactly the same thing and work perfectly. I think TVMC is mainly aimed at newbies and people who wouldn't be very tech minded as it basically does all the work for you and installs everything itself. My opinion would be if it works for you, why bother changing? There's no need. But then again, that's just me - everyone has different preferences and opinions. Like, say, the guy above who recommended that you change to Kodi and install the Beast build. I'd say avoid installing any builds as they take up too much space, have a load of stuff on it that you don't/won't need and can cause problems running things on your set up or slow down the running of it. But hey, opinions are what make the world an interesting place........sometimes...... :D

I never said anything about the beast build .

Don't insult me like that.
    Anything from chris blower should be avoided. <Mod Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I never said anything about the beast build .

Don't insult me like that.
    Anything from chris blower should be avoided. Man is an absolute knob head.

Apologies Lucas, I meant to say Black Box build. However, I certainly didn't mean to insult you in any way or have a go at you - I was merely using your post as a reference point to illustrate how everyone has their own personal ideas, preferences and favourites. That's all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I actually think installing a build is a great starting point. It has all the sections set up and decent art-work etc.
    Then just clean it up by un-installing all the add-ons you don't need.

The less add-ons the better as it'll check for updates on every boot.
    The Black Box build looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

If Real-Debrid doesn't include live streaming then I'm not sure there's any point to it. I never seem to have any trouble finding any movie or TV show in high quality or have buffering problems.

I signed up for 90 days after seeing it recommended in a few places. Honestly can't see the benefit of it.
    Maybe my set up is wrong.

Batesy wrote: »
    I actually think installing a build is a great starting point. It has all the sections set up and decent art-work etc.
    Then just clean it up by un-installing all the add-ons you don't need.

The less add-ons the better as it'll check for updates on every boot.
    The Black Box build looks pretty good.

+1

I started with Andy's Build as I like how he had some of the sections organised, the artwork, screensavers etc. Then I just removed all the stuff I didn't need and added a few excellent addons that were missing and that was it. Much quicker imo.

I've now set up my own build based off of this and have it stored online so I can install it across multiple devices. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Benzino wrote: »
    +1

I started with Andy's Build as I like how he had some of the sections organised, the artwork, screensavers etc. Then I just removed all the stuff I didn't need and added a few excellent addons that were missing and that was it. Much quicker imo.

I've now set up my own build based off of this and have it stored online so I can install it across multiple devices. Very handy.

By removing addons do you mean just disabling them ?

By removing addons do you mean just disabling them ?

No, I uninstall them as I'd never use them.

BandMember wrote: »
    Apologies Lucas, I meant to say Black Box build. However, I certainly didn't mean to insult you in any way or have a go at you - I was merely using your post as a reference point to illustrate how everyone has their own personal ideas, preferences and favourites. That's all. :)

I was only joking.
    Just hate anything related to chris blower(beast).

If you have a fire stick or fire tv it's definitely worth while installing firestarter it hides all the amazon stuff you'll never use and with this you can install and update kodi with a click of a button.

Also with a regularly updated build you don't have the hassle of adding new addons & removing old/broken addons.
    The black box I recommended gets updated every Saturday morning.
    They also have dedicated kids & adult build.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I signed up for 90 days after seeing it recommended in a few places. Honestly can't see the benefit of it.
    Maybe my set up is wrong.

easy choice so that saves ye a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I thought I'd try out RealDebrid. I've signed up for the short term account set up the account in the Add Ons section and in the settings of my Genesis Add On. Now when I open any TV programme I see a load of RealDebrid sources. None of them work at all for me.
    Anybody else having this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The way RealDebrid works as far as I can tell is that each hosters server has a daily limit and when that's reached the links don't work.
    Oboom for example is always top of the list with great HD links but because it's top of the list it's selected more often and reaches it limit more often.

If you scroll down you'll see various other REALDEBRID links and you'll find one that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr Ed2011

The way RealDebrid works as far as I can tell is that each hosters server has a daily limit and when that's reached the links don't work.
    Oboom for example is always top of the list with great HD links but because it's top of the list it's selected more often and reaches it limit more often.

If you scroll down you'll see various other REALDEBRID links and you'll find one that works.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I tried that last night. You're right. After trying about 5 I got one that played. I'd thought that the reason for getting RealDebrid was to avoid this. If I do the same with the normal sources I get about the same success rate.
    Except when I see Dizilab. That's 100% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I've had a real-debrid account for years anyway so have been using it with Genesis for a while now. Honestly i think it's only really good if you want to watch 1080p rips of the latest episodes of whatever tv show you might be following. But those 1080ps rips disappear after a time anyway so, not all that great. RD + jDownloader on a desktop PC though and you'll never have to use torrents again(well, very rarely).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

bur wrote: »
    I've had a real-debrid account for years anyway so have been using it with Genesis for a while now. Honestly i think it's only really good if you want to watch 1080p rips of the latest episodes of whatever tv show you might be following. But those 1080ps rips disappear after a time anyway so, not all that great. RD + jDownloader on a desktop PC though and you'll never have to use torrents again(well, very rarely).
    Rapidgator is cheaper,unlimited download etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

:confused:

I just checked and RD is €9 for 90 days, rapidgator is €25 for 90 days.

Rapid gator is included as one of the sources when you use real debrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Signed up for a free account there. Are files not playing because of the account or because of hosting limitations? Not sure I'd signup on the back of what I've seen so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

bur wrote: »
    :confused:

I just checked and RD is €9 for 90 days, rapidgator is €25 for 90 days.

R gator/unlimited download

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

R gator/unlimited download

rd is unlimited too.

so RG is neither cheaper nor offers more bandwidth??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement