Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplying Broadband. Legalities?

Options
  • 24-10-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi . I am a landlord with 3 apartments. I have a shop below with broadband and was thinking of connecting the apartments to the broadband. I am just worried about internet misuse and the legal ramifications of doing this. Is there any form/ contract i can get the tenants to sign?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If the broadband is in your name, would you not get in trouble if they are downloading films and such? Not sure any piece of paper they sign is going to help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

When I first moved to a HMO in the UK, as part of the lease agreement I agreed not to use the supplied internet for illegal activities. To be honest, it would be easier to just let them sort their own broadband out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There is no form they can sign that will not make you ultimately liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It really depends is you have a Residential or Buisness broadband package.

If you are using a residential account then you are liable for everything done on that connection as you really are not allowed share it in the manner you propose.

If its a buisness account there is an expectation that this internet connection will be shared with other users and you are much more protected against the wrongdoings of others.

What I would suggest is that you use a checp PC or linux box as a proxy server and firewall where the apartments connect to that and that connects to the cable modem. This way you can track use or users so any illegal or questionable activity can be traced to the user. Otherwise a report on illegal activity stops at the IP address of the modem so there is no easy way to prove who was doing what without soem sort of logging. Practically All internet cafes woudl use a similar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are serious security issues in allowing them to use your broadband over and above liability for their actions - if you have an ethernet connected credit card terminal you would now be non-PCI DSS compliant and liable for the loss if the terminal was hacked for starters.

Don't do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement