Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primes or Zoom lenses

• 24-10-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I have a big bag of lenses which contain zooms and primes

17-40 f4
    24-70 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8

85mm f1.8
    50mm f1.4

What I'm wondering is whether I keep my kit as it is or get rid of a zoom for a prime or visa versa.

I shoot some events and having a big bag can be quite heavy. I don't think I could last without my 70-200 so that will have to stay.

The others, I'm not sure what to do

Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Depends on what type of work you're doing really.

I could live without the 17-40 and maybe lose the 50 1.4 and replace it with a 35 1.4.

The 24-70 is a must I'd say especially if you're doing weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

What's your style?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

It depends on your needs obviously :)

You said the 70-200 is a must so I'll stick to focal ranges below 70mm.
    How often do you use the 24mm - 35mm rage?
    Also how often do you use the 17mm - 24mm range?

If you don't use the 17-24 range much then the 17-40mm lens is a bit obsolete as you have a faster lens that goes down to 24mm.

If you find yourself not using the 24-35mm range much but do like to go wider (24 and under) then there probably isn't much need for the 24-70mm lens seeing as you have a fast 50mm.

Then again if you find yourself hovering around the 24mm mark a fast 24mm prime would be a good option rather than a zoom. Likewise for the 35mm range.

I generally prefer to use fast primes. But having two bodies is a must for any job as switching lenses is too time consuming.
    Even though zooms are more convenient I will always opt towards a fast prime as I prefer the overall look. Sure it's not as convenient as a zoom but once I am able to deliver the results it's worth the effort. But then again I normally decide beforehand on two primes for the two bodies that I need/want for the particular shoot and I'd rarely change lenses after that.
    I'll have other lenses with me but once I make my mind up regarding what type of photos I want I'll stick to the chosen lenses. So from my point of view a zoom makes little sense as it gives me extra focal lengths I don't want and less speed.

I make my decisions based on the focal length I use the most and invest most of my money into that lens and work outwards from there.

You have a few options depending on your needs :p
    Cut down on zoom lenses to create a more specialized kit.
    Cut down on primes to create a smaller more versatile kit.
    Maybe an upgrade is in order (faster 50, faster superwide zoom etc).
    Only use primes for the focal ranges you use the most and use zooms strictly for everything else (eg 16-35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 70-200mm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Yes I do weddings and I would use the 24-70 a lot along with 85mm

The only time I use the 17-40 is for wide shots (environmental landscapes) and group shots.

I would consider replacing with a 35f1.4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

The 35mm f1.4 is a great lens (I assume we're talking about Canon here :p). I love the look out of it. But it's one of the few L series lenses that I don't think is worth it the brand new price tag. For some reason it's not even weather sealed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement